Flat cables for pedal board?

DougGuitar

I'm assembling a pedal board right now. I have a D'addario expandable board, Voodoo Labs PS.

My question is: are those flat cables any good? They would certainly make for a neater pedal board-but how is the quality?

Thanks as usual

Doug

I am not sure exactly which cables you are referring to. I have seen and used a few things that could fit your question. I make all of my own cables for my pedalboards. That way I can make them the length I want them and I know the ends are soldered the way I want them to be. I use Switchcraft pancake jacks for them.

I am not sure exactly which cables you are referring to. I have seen and used a few things that could fit your question. I make all of my own cables for my pedalboards. That way I can make them the length I want them and I know the ends are soldered the way I want them to be. I use Switchcraft pancake jacks for them.

Flat cables:

or similar

If you can solder, I have used these kits to make some of my cables. It is good cable and good ends. They are thin like the ones you were looking at.

I personally would stay away from those for two reasons. Reason 1, Donner, enough said. Reason 2, they have molded ends. When something goes wrong with them, you can't fix them. You have to throw them away and buy new ones, which leads to reason 1.

I know Donner, just the first example that I came to. Here's a better example:

But of all the 6" cable listings on Amazon.ca, there are only 2 flat cables. That tells me a lot.

Think I've decided to go with the pancakes.

I Have Used The EBS Premium Gold Flat Patch Cables For A Good While And Really Like Them. No Issues, Sound Great!

Ditto. I've had great luck with these, use them for my whole board. I'm not sure how well they would hold up to being plugged and unplugged all the time, but for a pedal board they get my stamp of approval.

I decided to go with the

Ernie Ball Flat Ribbon Patch Cable, 6 Inch​

-ordered 6 x 6" cables. I'll give 'em a try anyway.

I like the fact that they have metal pancake heads and come in a variety of sizes 3, 6, 12, 24 inch.

Thanks everyone.

Doug

Last edited:
It would be interesting to cut one of the flat cables and see if they're as well insulated and shielded as round cables.

I'm not saying they aren't - I have no idea - I've never had the flat cables to take a look-see.

On a crowded pedal board near a power supply, the AC cable, and any wall warts, a well-shielded cable reduces noise. Two kinds of shielding are popular on round cable: spiral and woven. Each has its pros and cons, and both do a nice job depending on the manufacturer.

If the flat cable is well shielded, it seems like a good idea for a lot of people.

It would be interesting to cut one of the flat cables and see if they're as well insulated and shielded as round cables.

I'm not saying they aren't - I have no idea - I've never had the flat cables to take a look-see.

On a crowded pedal board near a power supply, the AC cable, and any wall warts, a well-shielded cable reduces noise. Two kinds of shielding are popular on round cable: spiral and woven. Each has its pros and cons, and both do a nice job depending on the manufacturer.

If the flat cable is well shielded, it seems like a good idea for a lot of people.

I bought them as an experiment as much as anything. If they aren't well insulated then out they go and I'll get some good round cables.

Back