Nominated for a 2013 "Bangin'" award: ZOOM MS-50G pedal.

sergiodeblanc

ZOOM finally won me over with this pedal.

I had owned a few pieces of ZOOM stuff over the years; a headphone multifx thing and a rack mount thingy that I bought as a cost effective vocoder. They did their job I guess.. but they didn't exactly wow me or anything, they were meant to be cheap.. and there's a need for that in the world, no judgment,.. But this thing is Bangin'!

I hate carrying gear, let me state that upfront. I also spend the majority of my time (like everybody else) switching back and forth from a rhythm tone and a lead tone, occasionally I'll step on a modulation effect but it's pretty much just lead and rhythm.

What do like in a lead tone? For me I want some gain/distortion, a little bit of delay, a compressor thats always on and a volume boost. On a traditional pedal board that would be like, three pedals to turn on and turn off... doin' the tap-dance kinda sucks and it doesn't look all that b!tchin' either, I just want to go from rhythm dude to ROCK GOD in one step... Oh, and screw you delay pedal! When I stomp on you to turn you off you turn off the delay mix rather than the input, thus cutting my delay repeats off... That ain't cool buddy! That is so unsexy of you.

This thing has something ridiculous like 150 different effects with up to six at a time. You can only turn on or off the effect pedal that is showing on the display but the rational-minded people at ZOOM have made one of those effects a "Line Selector". You put this effect module before the rest of the stuff you want to toggle on and off and Bam! That's where the awesomeness starts.

I go from a nice cleaner than clean tone to a lead tone with a faux ADA MP1 model into a booster and delay, I then proceed to widdley-widdley and wank all to turn that sucker off and listen to my distorted delay repeats continue to decay over my clean rhythm that I picked up again...Bangin'! All with one step.

I mean I'm not tryin' to say every effect is a winner... The "Intelligent" pitch-shifting is more like tryin' to get it's GED, some of the amp models are janky, and the acoustic simulator is about as convincing and as useful to me as a piezo... but nice try...I guess in a pinch.

There are some stand-outs for me though. The ADA MP1 model is impressive, I've owned the real deal a few times in my life and while it doesn't have the same range of controls, it does emulate the overall vibe of that piece astonishingly well, and sounds "tube-y".

The tuner works nicely, the Vintage CE sounds dead-on to my ears, the Bit Crush is cool, the Analog DLY does a convincing Memory-Man, the reverse delay is well done, as is the spring reverb. There are so many effects on this thing.. I could see getting a few of these for an incredibly powerful pedal board, and it's like... a hundred bucks!

I'm really impressed, it seems as solid as a Boss pedal too! Even if you throw this guy into your loop and use your amp for its gain you could still wind up with a one-shot solution for a processed lead tone. Probably great for metal dudes who just switch between rhythm and lead; put a clean boost and some delay... save yourself two steps.

Bangin' job ZOOM! I didn't add this to my pedal board... It is my pedal board.

Last edited:
Little does Zoom know they just earned one of the highest honors achievable on this forum.

Nice, sounds cool! So, what else was nominated for a Bangin' Award? Is this the only nominee?

There are more, but this is the first musical instrument. Updates on the awards will be on my sergiodeblancbanginblog on Tumblr.

Very cool when a piece of gear is so portable and at the same time, actually useful!

Plus, a bangin' award? Winner. :five:

Hey Sergio, can you detail what your virtual signal chain is for your "clean to lead" patch that uses the line selector? I got one of these used a little while ago ($65!) but haven't fooled with it much. If I can get it to do what you got it to do, it'll be the perfect grab-n-go micro rig for rehearsals. Guitar --> Zoom --> PA and I'm all set. And everything will fit in a gig bag.

I too recently became a fan of the latest Zoom tech. I've got a G5, which sounds the same as this pedal, but has more switches and a built-in pedal for wah and several other effects. Great bang(in') for the buck as far as functionality, ease of use and quality of sound.

Unfortunately, I do not have rights to a catch phrase so I cannot bestow any kind of award on these Zoom pedals. I do like them, though.

Hey Sergio, can you detail what your virtual signal chain is for your "clean to lead" patch that uses the line selector? I got one of these used a little while ago ($65!) but haven't fooled with it much. If I can get it to do what you got it to do, it'll be the perfect grab-n-go micro rig for rehearsals. Guitar --> Zoom --> PA and I'm all set. And everything will fit in a gig bag.

I too recently became a fan of the latest Zoom tech. I've got a G5, which sounds the same as this pedal, but has more switches and a built-in pedal for wah and several other effects. Great bang(in') for the buck as far as functionality, ease of use and quality of sound.

Unfortunately, I do not have rights to a catch phrase so I cannot bestow any kind of award on these Zoom pedals. I do like them, though.

Sure! I go rack compressor (which is always on)> line selector>Governor (or MP1)> graphic eq> delay and turn the "tails" parameter on. This would actually go from right to left on the display, I'm still using an amp but I imagine for your purposes one of the amp models should work well enough and be placed in front of the compressor (If you even need that).

I find that for my ears I need the graphic eq to tame some of the harshness of the distortion so I roll off the highest band (I think its 12k?) and pull back the 400 hertz to "scoop" the lead tone a little, you may not find that necessary as we all have varying tastes when it comes to tone.

I could help you with a catch phrase too, but it means more when you find it on your own... Markie's got Yah-mon, I got Bangin'.... give it time, you'll find one. The secret is to repeat it consistently but you can't use it for everything, you'll notice I don't use it for blue guitars or tobacco burst-y colors. I will then use "congratulations" or "nice" so as to not dilute the impact of "Bangin'!"...

I thought about ordering one after recently visiting Markie's and playing the most insane Employee Guitar I have ever seen...it was a 12 string...and WOW!

You should put even more thought into ordering one... What are you? Chicken......:evil:

Sure! I go rack compressor (which is always on)> line selector>Governor (or MP1)> graphic eq> delay and turn the "tails" parameter on. This would actually go from right to left on the display, I'm still using an amp but I imagine for your purposes one of the amp models should work well enough and be placed in front of the compressor (If you even need that).

Ah, OK. That's what I was most interested in. You get your clean sound from your amp. I assumed you were going direct so I wondered how you arranged your amp(s) in the chain. Maybe I'll fool with it this weekend and see if I come up with anything useable. The pedal definitely needs the high end roll off. I use an EQ block, but also sometimes use the tone knob on the Boost switch for the same purpose.

Agreed - the catch phrase really does need to come from within. If it comes to me, fine. If not, that's fine too. Maybe instead of a catch phrase I can just get by on my good spelling.

It's been about two months since I got this guy and the "gee-wizz" factor should be over now... What a great pedal! I've decided to get another one. Anybody who's been afraid of Zoom in the past should do themselves a favor and check this one out.

I picked one of these up the other day and have been experimenting with it heavily using my Bass guitar (don't have possession of my Soapy yet) and it seems pretty powerful. Some things obviously wouldn't work with the bass... like the acoustic simulator, but the organ simulator was awesome using it. The Muff Pedal simulator works as well as my Big Muff Pi Deluxe so that pedal has been eliminated and is off to ebay.

Serg what settings/effects are you using for your lead parts?

Are you still using this pedal as heavily as you once were since this original post?

Serg what settings/effects are you using for your lead parts?

Are you still using this pedal as heavily as you once were since this original post?

I sure am! I even bought a second one.

I have a couple of presets loaded into it that revolve around the rack compressor> Line selector> Gov' nor> GEQ> noise suppressor> delay. The compressor is my "aways on" pedal and I'll kick in the rest of the chain with the line selector, the second MS50g I put in front of the first one for auto wah and phaser stuff, or omit the compressor in the first one and use the second one for comp and overdrive... There are so many uses for these things!

This sounds like a decent item to have.

I have a red Zoom Bass multi pedal that is really useful, it is a B2.1u. I find it very useful. It can easily make round wounds sound like flats. Lots of good tone shaping for bass.

One of these MS-50G's sounds a lot more useful than my HD500 I got rid of. It looks like a similar idea, where you select pedals, amps, etc., and line them up on the screen in any order desired. I like the one click switch to turn them all on at once. I suppose that it turns on all the things you have lined up on, with the adjustments to each pedal retained, as well as giving you the ability to turn off one of the pedals; or do you have to remove that pedal from the line up?

This little item looks like it could take a lot of those big HD500's, etc., off the floor.

Great info on what looks like a neat little product.

I suppose that it turns on all the things you have lined up on, with the adjustments to each pedal retained, as well as giving you the ability to turn off one of the pedals; or do you have to remove that pedal from the line up?

The switch only has access to one parameter at a time with the exception of choosing whether holding it down will active the tuner, tap tempo, or patch selection, so turning individual effects on and off will require you to bend over to hit the scroll buttons.

Back