So I just bought my first PRS, a Paul's with supposedly an artist package and it is a 10 top. (This will be my 3rd post so I can now post a NGD with pictures.)

But the headstock does not have a "10" on it, upper right or elsewhere.

Artist Package guitars do not have a 10 on the headstock. They're considered a level above and usually have other identifying features. Initially, all the Paul's Guitars had the artist grade top, but they later started offering with regular grade flame or 10. Since it's a more recent model, this is where the MODCAT code and decoder mentioned above comes in handy to tell you what grade it is.

And congrats, I'd love to have a Paul's Guitar.

I have a '91 CU24 10 Top and when I emailed customer support they were able to give me very little info on it. When I changed the strings, I pulled the pickups and was able to verify just about everything about it.

That said, that looks to be 100% authentic.

Nice looking guitar there!

MODCAT is a great reference, but doesn't apply to 80's and 90's guitars.

Artist Package guitars do not have a 10 on the headstock. They're considered a level above and usually have other identifying features. Initially, all the Paul's Guitars had the artist grade top, but they later started offering with regular grade flame or 10. Since it's a more recent model, this is where the MODCAT code and decoder mentioned above comes in handy to tell you what grade it is.

And congrats, I'd love to have a Paul's Guitar.
Ah, yes...forgot when they started with the modcat #'s...

Correct on the artist package having no 10 designation.

The MODCAT is awesome. I haven’t looked under the pup yet (waiting for a string change) but does anyone know if this works on SE versions as well.

For hard rock, HFS/VB all day!

PRS would tell you that the HFS stands for Hot, Fat and Screaming.. but we all know it really stands for Holy F*&#ing Sh!t !! Those pickups just rock!

Those '97 pickups will sound just fine, no need to update them, unless if you really want to.

Back