Guitar shootout with PRS models from the 90's.

Permanent Waves

Over the weekend I did a guitar shootout with various models from the 90's to try and differentiate the different tonal characteristics of each and maybe pick a "desert island" guitar. I used a Marshall DSL50 as a reference amp and did test with both clean and dirty channels. My initial observation, and that may be because I really don't have a very discerning ear, is that the variances between models are very subtle. I was able to spot differences between the tones but I am not sure if I would have been able to identify the models in a blind test. I've switched around different models pretty much at a whim at rehearsals and gigs (at least, the ones I had before COVID) and feel I can pretty much pick anyone at random and it will do well for me. The shootout only confirmed that for me.

1st test - pickups: 93 CU24 HFS/VB versus 97 CU22 Dragon 1

I have not had the chance to play extensively on any other of the PRS pickups, but I know that the characteristics of the HFS and Dragon 1 sets are closer to my preferred sound. I did notice the HFS had more emphasis on the lows and highs - the "chugging" seemed to have more of a gut response and the highs were more squealing on the HFS, while the Dragon Treble had a more even frequency response and full sound for classic-rock type stuff. For my personal taste, I preferred the scooped sound of the HFS but I can see how most seem to prefer the Dragon 1s.

2nd test - body wood: All CE24 with HFS/VB: 90 Alder VS 92 Alder/Maple VS 95 Mahogany/Maple

This was way more subtle since all the specs were the same other than body construction. In addition to playing clean/dirty on the DSL, I picked a song with a wide range of effects and dynamic response, and played it twice on my regular rig on each guitar in different order to get a feel for the differences, which were extremely subtle. The Alder/Maple seemed to have a bit more high frequency response - the high-end came through clearer. The Mahogany/Maple was probably the most rounded tone with a nice response on the lower end. The all-alder model seemed to fit comfortably in the middle and would probably be my first choice for all-around use. Body wood did not have as much effect as I expected it would.

Picking a favorite is like picking a favorite child. My favorite for overall versatility would be the CU24, but for the Rush tribute band, I'll continue using the CE24 since the higher frequency response is more desired to cut through, especially on the alder/maple model.

I'd be really curious to hear opinions of people who have done similar comparisons with the more modern models and pickups from the last 15 years or so.

The HFS might be the most popular pickup PRS has ever made, it’s certainly been in continuous production and use longer than any other pickup I can think of (along with the Vintage Bass, which I’m less inclined to defend).

Dragons are dope and all that, but maybe the people that love them are more vocal on the interweb.

Thanks for this. I think the Dragons and HFS are somewhat similar, or at least in the same family. My experience with the newer pickups (57/08, 59/09, 58/15) is that the differences between them are much more noticeable. Maybe its the lower output that makes them more dynamic and touch-sensitive, so there's more variety. I have had both 57/08s and 59/09s (and HFS/VB) in my 97 CE24 and they really are very different. I can't say one is the best (though I'm partial to the 57/08s) but they each have their purpose and situations in which they excel.

And this thread needs pics of your guitars! As a former Rush tribute guy, I'm especially curious to see your CE24s.

I agree with you regarding the early CE24's with Alder/Maple having a higher frequency response that cuts through the mix better than later CE's with mahogany/maple or CU24 with mahogany/maple. I remember it well. My first two PRS Guitars was 89CU24sig and a 90CE24 back in early nineties. My CE was always brighter sounding. CE24 is perfect for Rush tribute band, but I'm sure CU24 would be fine also, just adjust your equalizer pedal for cutting through the mix.

The HFS might be the most popular pickup PRS has ever made, it’s certainly been in continuous production and use longer than any other pickup I can think of (along with the Vintage Bass, which I’m less inclined to defend).

Dragons are dope and all that, but maybe the people that love them are more vocal on the interweb.
Interesting. I have an old set of the USA HFS/Vintage Bass currently in an Ibanez. I think they sound good, but got the impression that the HFS, was not very desirable these days. I actually tried to sell the set at one point for what I paid +/- $200 and got an offer for half that so just kept them. Glad I did.

Burn all of the HFS and make more Dragon 1’s

Now where’s my megaphone to go preach the good news in teh interwebs….

Thanks for this. I think the Dragons and HFS are somewhat similar, or at least in the same family. My experience with the newer pickups (57/08, 59/09, 58/15) is that the differences between them are much more noticeable. Maybe its the lower output that makes them more dynamic and touch-sensitive, so there's more variety. I have had both 57/08s and 59/09s (and HFS/VB) in my 97 CE24 and they really are very different. I can't say one is the best (though I'm partial to the 57/08s) but they each have their purpose and situations in which they excel.

And this thread needs pics of your guitars! As a former Rush tribute guy, I'm especially curious to see your CE24s.
It's really through circumstances (and budget) that I ended up with all 90's models. I don't see a lot of newer models on the used market, at least not at a reasonable price, which speaks volumes for their desirability. I need to play a guitar for a few months (and a few gigs) before I can really make up my mind about it. I am really curious about the 57-58-59 series pickups and I suspect I will eventually invest in a newer PRS just to get a feel for them. I also considered purchasing the recently available pickups and swapping, but for the price they are going, I'd rather pay a bit more and get the guitar that goes with it :).

Here is a pic of the test subjects in chronological order: 90 CE24, 92 CE24, 95 CE24 and 97 CU22. Only the 92 CE24 Sunburst is a recent acquisition, it will be front and center at my next gig, if there ever is one. The rest I have owned and gigged for over 20 years. They are tried, tested and true.

77bbac_13cb0248c1ab4ae4b9d9727394885a41~mv2.jpg

Back