Jesse

Guys, this may be a tough one, but after consulting with PRS I recently found out their database cannot find any specs of my PRS. It's a CU24 1997. This info (other than knowing I have HFS/VB pick ups is all I really know about the axe. The store I purchased it from (trade-in) told me it was in-fact a USA PRS, CU24 1997. PRS, did say the same thing, saying from the puctures I sent them it did "appear to be a PRS guitar", however thats all they sould say. I have no question in if it's real. It is. Just trying to find out if anyone else has had the same issues with their guitars pre-dating 2000. Trying to find out what the woods are, tuners used, etc..

Model # on headstock is

T 33424

Records can be hit or miss on the older ones from before they went with the computerized system.

Basic info from the site:

CUSTOM: 1985 - Current. The definitive original PRS, figured maple top, 10 top option from ’87, mahogany back and neck, volume, sweet switch and 5 way rotary offered until 1991, Brazilian rosewood fretboard until 1991, PRS Tremolo and cam-style locking tuners, stoptail offered from 1993 (or so) - 2001, Phase II tuners from 2002. Updated in 2011 to volume, tone, 5-way blade switch and Phase III locking tuners.

You can get some more details by lifting the bridge pickup. For example, here's the 1998 Custom 24 I used to own:

Serial Number
Color
CU24FWT = Custom 24 model, flame top, Wide/Thin neck.

Post pics and ask away, and this crowd can tell you anything you want to know.

BTW, the first digit on your serial number would be a 7 and not a T.

Pics would help, but the norm would be mahogany neck and back, Indian rosewood fretboard, abalone bird inlays, regular or wide thin neck carve. In one of the pickup cavities there should a letter/number combination(I think on a white sticker) called the MODCAT #. Plug that into the decoder and it will give you the specs.

A 10 in the upper right point on the headstock would indicate a 10 top.

Appreciate the info fella's! Ill have the tech take a peek under the bridge pup during next set up (fresh set up yesterday). What's Modcat? New term!

No 10 on headstock. Wishful thinking

I do have pictures saved on my phone. Just trying to find a way to share them this way. thread only allows me to share "link" photos.

I do have pictures saved on my phone. Just trying to find a way to share them this way. thread only allows me to share "link" photos.
You have to upload them to somewhere like PhotoBucket or Flickr, and then use those links for your post here.

You have to put the photos on a sharing site like Flickr or Photobucket. You can then copy/paste from pics from that site into your post.

never mind, here we go..
E308E894-1FCC-41B8-A91A-B1B37460030E_zps5k1faui9.jpg

I don't think they've updated them much since then, actually.

They're definitely fine for hard rock - if you like the sound, keep 'em and rock 'em! :)

The 85/15 are probably the more well-rounded pickups, but I think it's hard to beat HFS and VB for a rock guitar. I think the only real change to them has been the cosmetic move to the squared bobbins.

85/15's will be tough to come by. Some of the others here might recommend 59/09 or \m/, but I think the HFS & VB is an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" formula for hard rock.

A 10 in the upper right point on the headstock would indicate a 10 top.

So I just bought my first PRS, a Paul's with supposedly an artist package and it is a 10 top. (This will be my 3rd post so I can now post a NGD with pictures.)

But the headstock does not have a "10" on it, upper right or elsewhere.

Back