No band!

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I am bandless.......now what the hell do I do? It feels weird not preparing for a gig but it will be nice getting some of my guitar projects finished.

I'm' going to focus on improving skills, what are the best online lessons to use?

I know what you mean. I used to be in at least 3 bands at once. But now, I have one band. We stopped playing live shows in 2009, have been working on a CD/musical for the past 5 years, and it might be the last. The past year alone has been dedicated to mixing, which has become infinitely more complex than previously estimated. So these days, I just play guitar because I like it. No goals beyond getting better at guitar. A band would be nice, but who knows.

I'm a fan of papstache102 on YouTube. One of my challenges is with leads. Basically, if I can't sing it, then I can't play it. He plays something cool, does a "welcome, welcome, welcome," and then spends the rest of the video detailing what he just played in the intro. He's informative, depending on your skill level.

Lessons are something I can never recommend enough. A video can't correct technique issues or challenge specific weaknesses. I have a guitar instructor, and we meet via Skype every other week. It keeps me accountable.

Might go look for an open jam, sometime later. There's stuff to do.

ArtistWorks on-line lessons with Paul Gilbert. Interactive personalized lessons via video exchanges. The best part about it is not just communicating with Paul, but you can see every lesson he's ever done with any student.

I’ve been “bandless” for the last 15 years.

I’m on the eve of a new project (hopefully) so I’ll stop typing n.......

My desire is a band with a horn section and female backups. It would be a ton of work and don't have a lot of choices in my SE iowa area but I would love it.

I will take some time off since my 14 year old son and I have been dirt biking a lot and digging that. It won't be long and he will be gone so I don't want to miss that.

I just haven't had the satisfaction I crave with my last two bands so if I do another band I will be really picky.

I don't care at this point if I make another penny or not, I just want a great band that wants to be the best it can be. My last band had a singer that was freakin lazy and really held us back from being a really great band. I was getting more pissed and bored with every show and I voiced my frustrations. Got zero results so I said goodbye.

No hauling gear in the cold weather doesn't hurt my feelings too much and I have a few guitar projects I want to get done so what the heck!

My desire is a band with a horn section and female backups. It would be a ton of work and don't have a lot of choices in my SE iowa area but I would love it.

I will take some time off since my 14 year old son and I have been dirt biking a lot and digging that. It won't be long and he will be gone so I don't want to miss that.

I just haven't had the satisfaction I crave with my last two bands so if I do another band I will be really picky.

I don't care at this point if I make another penny or not, I just want a great band that wants to be the best it can be. My last band had a singer that was freakin lazy and really held us back from being a really great band. I was getting more pissed and bored with every show and I voiced my frustrations. Got zero results so I said goodbye.

No hauling gear in the cold weather doesn't hurt my feelings too much and I have a few guitar projects I want to get done so what the heck!
That was the band I was in. I was part of the horn section (trumpet) and lead singer.

7 guys and a girl. Happy times, loads of fun, everyone playing their part.

Most members were music teachers which helped. Great vibe, no fights!

Hoping to put another band together like this. I’m 5 parts there, just keys and sax player to find - fingers crossed

Yea, well no red peppers or parmesan for YOU!

I was thinking about this thread at the end of my guitar lesson, when talking to my guitar instructor. He's had a handful of bands, one of them successful. But he quit the music scene over 30 years ago.

Since then, he's not had a band. He hates performance. He's done only a few recordings here and there. He doesn't even like playing songs.

Still, he gets up around 5am every day, and the first thing he does is practice his own work on the guitar for three hours. Every day. After that, he's got a full day of students and lessons.

He just really loves the guitar.

Slightly off-track but in the same vein as @GuitarDrummer ‘s comment.

I have a luthier friend who makes the most amazing hand built acoustics, lutes etc. He comes from a furniture making background.

He doesn’t play a single note, he has no musical knowledge. He has no interest in performing.

And yet he makes these incredible guitars!

I was never in a gigging band until my current band; we've been going now for about five years. Before this band, I never would have seriously expected to be in a band (just basement/garage jamming), but I had fantasies about being in a classic rock or prog rock band for years. With a huge light/laser show, and smoke/dry ice. And groupies.

That isn't the style of music we play (we're a "Celtic Fusion" band), and while I still wonder what it would be like to play in a band that plays heavier/proggier material, I am very, very happy to be in my current band - I get to take all the guitar solos (acoustic and electric) and mandolin leads, sharing the spot light with occasional guest fiddlers (the fiddler in the band doesn't like to do lead breaks). Most of us sing lead vocals too, including me, so I get that bit of limelight as well.

And I get to write songs (we all write), which get played out regularly (and usually we sing our own material). And we are recording our second CD.

So I must say it would be quite the void in my life if this band that I am in ever went away!

Some introspection: It is strange, looking back at my younger years when I was terrified of actually playing in front of anyone - friends, family, whatever, when now I will gladly play to huge crowds of strangers. It has helped that the de facto band leader has decades of performing and recording experience, and her confidence and enthusiasm are quite contagious. She pulled her sig other into the band to start as a duo (he also was not a hugely experienced gigging player), our main percussionist then joined pretty well immediately, then not long after that I was recruited, and my now-wife was pulled up on stage a few years ago and has fully integrated.

If I had mustered up the courage (and ponied up for some equipment like a real guitar amp) and joined a band while in high school or college, I wonder how things would have turned out? Would I be on my fourth or fifth band? Would I be less successful in my so-called profession, but would have wild stories to tell about gigging as a young man?

Doesn't matter - I'm way too happy now to be second-guessing my past.

Thanks you, Dr Shrink, see you next week, same time?

Back