Cases

sgrady41

New to PRS, I am not a gig bag guy. Ok for going to someone’s home but when part of a bunch of equipment.

What do you use for a study bang around case? Have a McCarty 594. PRS stuff looks nice but not gig type of case lol.

I prefer the stock case , they are a bit heavy but what's inside is worth protecting. I have 2 that are 20 years old and they have held up well

If I was traveling with a Core PRS, I'd probably use a good gig bag, but that'd depend on variables. I'd absolutely consider an injection molded Hiscox, SKB (or similar) case.

The injection molded cases weigh 8-9 pounds, which is still half the weight of a wooden PRS case (the wood cases that came with mine weigh around 18 pounds). The weight isn't much more than something like a Mono M80 gig bag, which is just a little over 5 pounds, and it's about the same as a Gator Icon heavy duty gig bag, which is a pretty nice case, too.

The injection molded cases have better humidity and temperature buffering than gig bags, if that's a factor you're thinking about.

My PRS SE Standard came with a plain black gig bag. I will eventually get a hard case. I will probably purchase a deluxe wood case. I'm not a fan of the ABS cases because if you drop them they will probably crack. Also I have an Ovation acoustic guitar that has a factory ABS case and it started to crack and deteriorate over the years.

Last edited:
My PRS SE Standard came with a plain black gig bag. I will eventually get a hard case. I will probably purchase a deluxe wood case. I'm not a fan of the ABS cases because if you drop them they will probably crack. Also I have an Ovation acoustic guitar that has a factory ABS case and it started to crack and deteriorate over the years.

My Fender and RIC cases have not cracked and protect the guitar well. I also have SKB for my LP's and it as well has been flawless. Agree there are some thin ones out there. just want it to the gig without issues.

True enough - the cases that last longest are the traditional wooden ones - if you don't want to spend a grand or more on a carbon fiber or fiberglass case. They may be best for the guitar, too, since they help with humidity control. Wood absorbs and releases a little moisture.

The drawback is for travel wood cases are very heavy, very bulky, and they don't have the crush resistance of the better ABS cases. For example, Hiscox claims their cases will withstand a half a ton of crush weight. No gig bag will withstand that kind of weight. Same with wooden cases.

And man, you feel that extra 10-15 pounds at the end of a day of travel through airports and cities with a wooden case. I've done it!

With even the best gig bag, I worry these days about someone carelessly throwing a heavy wheeled piece of luggage on top of my guitar in the overhead bin, or worse, having to check it as baggage (it happens!). However, my son has had very good luck flying for tours recently with a double Mono M80 bag, and I was impressed with its quality, though so far he hasn't been required to check it as baggage.

Back