NGD + The S2 Mira Versus Bernie Comparo

Same here. I was surprised when you mentioned that the fit and finish of your SE was better - in my case the SE is fantastic but the Mira is sublime. The only difference being that it was not buffed to the same sheen as the SE, but I do not consider that a flaw.

I should have prefaced my review with a disclosure stating that I'm a picky bastard with a keen eye for detail (or lack thereof). Let me clarify... the overall fit & finish on the Mira was very nice. I couldn't live with a few "glitter-speck" sized flecks in the finish on top. Some people may have never noticed them. The little overspray/paint drip on the end of the fretboard was also not a glaring failure in regard to quality control. In my case, when I buy something brand new, I want it to be as close to perfect as possible... otherwise I feel like I'm not getting the max value for my money. In the case of the Bernie, it just so happened to be a very nice example from a fit & finish standpoint. I'm certain that more than a few turds of the SE variety have made the boat ride from Korea, so it should only be taken as a general statement that in my case the SE Bernie was a little better finish wise than the Mira. That being said, I still wouldn't trade a fully modded Bernie in absolute perfect condition for a stock Mira S2 with a few minor flaws. Additionally, if ANY PRS made guitar showed up as unplayable as the Chris Shittfitt Signature Telecaster that I bought last year, I'd promptly toss it in my firewood pile along with the costly hardwood that typically requires 2-3 gallons of accelerant to get it burning.

Wildwood emailed today and said the replacement is "perfect" after heavy scrutiny and it's shipping via 2-day express. I'll have it by Friday hopefully.

I should have prefaced my review with a disclosure stating that I'm a picky bastard with a keen eye for detail (or lack thereof). Let me clarify... the overall fit & finish on the Mira was very nice. I couldn't live with a few "glitter-speck" sized flecks in the finish on top. Some people may have never noticed them. The little overspray/paint drip on the end of the fretboard was also not a glaring failure in regard to quality control. In my case, when I buy something brand new, I want it to be as close to perfect as possible... otherwise I feel like I'm not getting the max value for my money. In the case of the Bernie, it just so happened to be a very nice example from a fit & finish standpoint. I'm certain that more than a few turds of the SE variety have made the boat ride from Korea, so it should only be taken as a general statement that in my case the SE Bernie was a little better finish wise than the Mira. That being said, I still wouldn't trade a fully modded Bernie in absolute perfect condition for a stock Mira S2 with a few minor flaws. Additionally, if ANY PRS made guitar showed up as unplayable as the Chris Shittfitt Signature Telecaster that I bought last year, I'd promptly toss it in my firewood pile along with the costly hardwood that typically requires 2-3 gallons of accelerant to get it burning.

Wildwood emailed today and said the replacement is "perfect" after heavy scrutiny and it's shipping via 2-day express. I'll have it by Friday hopefully.

After seeing some trolls on this forum get their panties in a bunch over really minor things, JStarr, you handled this like a real gentleman. Your description of the guitar and its minor flaws was very fair, and if your conversation with Wildwood was anything like your original post, I'm sure they were happy to make it right for you.

After seeing some trolls on this forum get their panties in a bunch over really minor things, JStarr, you handled this like a real gentleman. Your description of the guitar and its minor flaws was very fair, and if your conversation with Wildwood was anything like your original post, I'm sure they were happy to make it right for you.

+1
I gotta back up Andy on this. No company or dealer is perfect. But hanging the dirty laundry out just doesn't seem the way to go. Calm and honest conversations trump angst and anxiety and pitchforks.

+1
I gotta back up Andy on this. No company or dealer is perfect. But hanging the dirty laundry out just doesn't seem the way to go. Calm and honest conversations trump angst and anxiety and pitchforks.

Steve, Bruce and Troy at Wildwood truly rock! Best dealer I've ever dealt with... hands down. Never argumentative. Never questioned or second guessed. Solution oriented from start to finish. Can't say enough good things about these guys!

Thanks for the review. A White S2 Mira is a guitar I'd love to have..... So many cool PRSi to drool over, so little time and money! S2 Mira, DGT, and something with 408s (probably stoptail Paul's Guitar) seems to be on the list now.

I was originally going to post a joke about Wildwood maybe fixing the scarfed headstock, but I thought the better of it, so I didn't.

But I guess I just did.

Anyway, love Greg Koch's videos and have always thought they seemed like they would be a good place to do business with...glad to hear this story, and another +1 on "professional conduct" lol.

We have alot of first-world problems out here on this forum, myself included. It's refreshing to see something so overtly in-perspective. :)

Great - and very useful review! I'm considering an S2 Mira or maybe a Starla / Singlecut. I played an S2 Custom 24 and was really pleasantly surprised but the feel and the neck in particular. Good to hear the Mira sound quality is up there as well!

Just gotta decide whether to go for one or wait for a second-hand McCarty with the right spec to show up ...

Wait, Wildwood is fixing the head stocks?

Yes. Two stainless steel bolts, just behind the nut, countersunk in the back so as not to affect your feel in the first position. Made of the finest American stainless steel and attached with the finest American wrenches. Unfortunately, the bolts are installed by a repairman who immigrated from Canada, so it's not a made-in-America fix. :tongue:

Yes. Two stainless steel bolts, just behind the nut, countersunk in the back so as not to affect your feel in the first position. Made of the finest American stainless steel and attached with the finest American wrenches. Unfortunately, the bolts are installed by a repairman who immigrated from Canada, so it's not a made-in-America fix. :tongue:

Bastards! I want my money back now! :D

Back