NGD + The S2 Mira Versus Bernie Comparo

Mine fell over in it's case a few weeks back, checked it out (no damage) and I was surprised it was still in tune. Come to think of it, it's almost always in tune even after playing it hard or if it sits for a few days. I just love this guitar.

I still get a kick when guys try out the Mira and how it breaks the rules of sustain and tone. After all a thin, light weight, mahogany body with a wrap tail shouldn't sound bright and sustain forever, you need a heavy hunk of hog with a maple cap for all of that. ;)

It's not the pickups. I changed the pickups in mine (am I the only one?) and it made the guitar significantly better.

gball - what did you swap them to? If you already posted it, sorry for the duplication.

I believe Super Distortions.

Yup, DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and PAF Pro neck. I got the nickel-covered ones to offset the look since my Mira is black. They are a perfect match for the guitar and gave it that last couple percent that it needed to be really remarkable, and the bonus is that the tapped sounds are also nicer than the stock pickups. I didn't change out any of the other electronics as they were just fine and everything was soldered together nicely.

Last edited:
Glad you brought up the electronics gball as I haven't pulled the scratch plate yet to look inside. So the wiring looked good?

Glad you brought up the electronics gball as I haven't pulled the scratch plate yet to look inside. So the wiring looked good?

Yeah, no issues with anything under the hood. I'd left open the possibility of changing out the pots, switch and wiring but wanted to have a look at things first and once I did I felt no reason to mess with something that works so well and is put together properly. The wiring could have perhaps been dressed nicer, but really, if I'm gonna start worrying about stuff like that I clearly have too much time on my hands.

I am sure that several folks who have never even touched one will disagree with you, but you'll have that!

That's 'cuz JStarr broke the rules and actually touched and played his S2. How could he possibly know what he is talking about? Aren't we supposed to just look at the specs, or even make them up, and then write pages and pages of uninformed dribble?

Well, in an odd twist of fate, the Mira is going back to Wildwood. Today I had a "post-purchase" follow up call with Wildwood. I told them how much I loved the way the guitar plays & sounds, but I also made mention of the few fit & finish issues. Being the customer focused company that they are, they offered the only other Antique White Mira that they have in stock as an exchange. It just so happens that the other Mira has birds versus dots, and they offered zero upcharge for the exchange. I couldn't pass it up. They're having their tech go through the new one with a fine tooth comb before it ships out. So... another NGD thread is coming I guess.

Wow, that is so darn cool. I may have check Wildwood out when I get my Starla or S2 SC.

That is cool...I love Wildwood. Bought my Mira there (you will love the birds I think) and since then have bought another guitar from them ( a "G", so we won't mention it here) and they have been nothing short of the best I have ever done online shopping with.

Wow. I once played a $2k LP Traditional at GC and the fretboard wasn't correctly aligned on the neck (it was off by about 1mm, maybe a little less) - no discount, of course. Hats off to Wildwood.

Totally agree with the kudos for Wildwood... they've been true pros all the way & customer satisfaction centric to say the least. I really do love the guitar, but the few flecks that are in the finish (on top) will always be there, so having a chance to get a better finished guitar with the birds upgrade is a total no-brainer. Also worth noting... the pickguard had quite a few pick scratches when I unboxed it. Not a big deal (maybe it was demoed a few times), but Wildwood insisted that it shouldn't have shipped that way. All in all, when you add up the "flaws" it was the right thing to do.

Also... as I stated in my review, the initial QC of fit & finish seems to be notably better on the Bernie (and quite possibly the other SE models). With this in mind, I sure hope the S2 line doesn't end up like 75% of the mid-line Gibsons that come out of Nashville with considerably less than perfect fit & finish. I understand that these are hand crafted instruments, but I don't jive with paying $1200+ for a guitar with overspray (no matter how small) and flecks/debris in the finish. That's a Gibson thing... not PRS.

I'm really hoping that you come back with the same results but without the over spray. :)

I'm really hoping that you come back with the same results but without the over spray. :)

Same here. I was surprised when you mentioned that the fit and finish of your SE was better - in my case the SE is fantastic but the Mira is sublime. The only difference being that it was not buffed to the same sheen as the SE, but I do not consider that a flaw.

I had been jonesing for a ZM to satisfy my GAS and add another to the collection, but i always had a Mira in the back of my mind as an alternative. I think this review sold me. Now i just have to save up the extra scratch for it.

Thanks for the review!

Back