NGD - the 2012 Stripped 58 has landed!

I do have a question for those of you who have those same brass ht. adjustment screws.

What tool do you use to turn them without marring the soft brass?

Looks like a silver dollar might work.
Turn down the strings to loose before you adjust stoptail screws.( I’m sure you already know this). I use a quarter and it works fine

Thought you might like to see the controls.

The two volumes would be on top.

The two tones would be on the bottom.

There's no treble bleed cap.

Of course 50's LP's wouldn't have one either.

I have never opened my SC-58 up to see what it looks like in there. Maybe some day when I am changing the strings on it.

Congrats and happy stripper day! You made a very wise choice with this one. Enjoy!

I personally prefer the two volume knobs on top once used to it. I've thought about rewiring my other 4 knobers I like it so much.
That is the one thing I don't like about my SC-58. All of the other single cut PRS guitars I have are wired like a LP. I am not sure why they went this direction with this model.

I have never opened my SC-58 up to see what it looks like in there. Maybe some day when I am changing the strings on it.

That is the one thing I don't like about my SC-58. All of the other single cut PRS guitars I have are wired like a LP. I am not sure why they went this direction with this model.
The only way to have a single tone control that works on both pickups is to connect it to the output jack. That changes the overall tone of the guitar slightly and makes it clearer and brighter.

Connecting a master tone to the output jack puts the tone control after the volume control.

A simplified version of the famous "50's Mod".

The tone controls on a modern guitar are connected before the volume control.

Connecting it last (after the volume controls) retains treble when the volume is turned down on the guitar and gives the guitar a brighter, livlier tone.

You might like it or you might not.

It works with the stock pickups on the Bernie because they're not very bright to begin with.

Last edited:
The only way to have a single tone control that works on both pickups is to connect it to the output jack. That changes the overall tone of the guitar slightly and makes it clearer and brighter.

Connecting a master tone to the output jack puts the tone control after the volume control.

A simplified version of the famous "50's Mod".

The tone controls on a modern Les Paul or 245 are connected before the volume control.

Connecting it last (after the volume controls) retains treble when the volume is turned down on the guitar and gives the guitar a brighter, livlier tone.

You might like it or you might not.

It works with the stock pickups on the Bernie because they're not very bright to begin with.
My dislike is more about where the volumes are located. I don't mind the way it is wired. I just like the volumes to be the two knobs most forward, not the top row. I am always grabbing the front pickup tone knob to adjust the volume of the bridge humbucker on this guitar. I am sure you can imagine how well that works out for me. lol

Thank you!

Me too. It's not a "10" but it's beautiful and prettier than most of the tops on real 50's LPs.

I'll part with this one on my death bed!;)
I’ve seen some non-10 tops that are better than 10 tops…. a matter of fact I own a PRS with a non-10 top that I think rivals an artist top. Before anyone asks… it’s not a wood library.

I’ve seen some non-10 tops that are better than 10 tops….
Maybe Lew will find a '10' sticker in his Stripped 58 like you did in the one, now mine, that you had last year which wasn't formally a 10-top.

Mangling The Bard: "A non 10-top by any other name would look as sweet!"

Non-10.jpg

I’ve seen some non-10 tops that are better than 10 tops…. a matter of fact I own a PRS with a non-10 top that I think rivals an artist top. Before anyone asks… it’s not a wood library.

Maybe Lew will find a '10' sticker in his Stripped 58 like you did in the one, now mine, that you had last year which wasn't formally a 10-top.

Non-10.jpg
Haven't even changed the strings yet. I can tell these are 010's and I like 009's. But it sounds so good and plays so easily that I haven't done a thing to it yet. That's coming...but not today.

Last edited:
It's so beautiful!

Stayed home all day waiting for UPS to deliver by 7:00 like they said. About 8:00 PM it arrived and all was forgiven.

My first "modern" CORE guitar. It's a 2012.

My others would be my '95, '97, and '00 CE22's.

Other than those, all my other PRS guitars are SE's.

Here's some pics:

Plugged it in for a few minutes last night. The 57/08's in this guitar sound a little warmer than the 57/08's in my Bernie Marsden.

But I haven't done a thing in terms of set up.

Today I'll replace the strings, clean the fingerboard and polish the frets.

Then put on some .009's and set the intonation and string ht. and pickup ht.

Love the top of this guitar but the one piece back is full of 3D beauty too!
That's just plain $uperdiliicious!!!

Non-10.jpg
OK. I give up. What does the TM in "57/08 TM" stand for?

And is the white wire for a coil tap?

Back