NGD - the 2012 Stripped 58 has landed!

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
It's so beautiful!

Stayed home all day waiting for UPS to deliver by 7:00 like they said. About 8:00 PM it arrived and all was forgiven.

My first "modern" CORE guitar. It's a 2012.

My others would be my '95, '97, and '00 CE22's.

Other than those, all my other PRS guitars are SE's.

Here's some pics:

Plugged it in for a few minutes last night. The 57/08's in this guitar sound a little warmer than the 57/08's in my Bernie Marsden.

But I haven't done a thing in terms of set up.

Today I'll replace the strings, clean the fingerboard and polish the frets.

Then put on some .009's and set the intonation and string ht. and pickup ht.

Love the top of this guitar but the one piece back is full of 3D beauty too!

Last edited:
Whoa. Congratulations! What was the first thing you played on it?

Whoa. Congratulations! What was the first thing you played on it?
Thank you!

Some blues. A jazzy shuffle. Might have been I Got My Mojo Workin but with some additional chords.

Then I started singing and improvising lyrics to my own blues.

I could only play it for about an hour because it was late.

But it's one of those guitars that opens your ears and you find yourself playing musical ideas you haven't played before or combined before.

I already love it.

But in all honesty the Bernie Marsden with the same pickups blows me away too.

Last edited:
Some blues. A shuffle. Might have been I Got My Mojo Workin!

Then I started singing and improvising lyrics to my own blues.

I could only play it for about an hour because it was late.

But it's one of those guitars that opens your ears and you find yourself playing musical ideas you haven't played before or combined before.

I already love it.

But in all honesty the Bernie Marsden with the same pickups blows me away too.
Good choice, as it looks full of good mojo! I've never tried a Mardsen, nor a Stripped 58. I also sometimes miss having separate volume controls as they give a lot of blending option. Have fun!

Good choice, as it looks full of good mojo! I've never tried a Mardsen, nor a Stripped 58. I also sometimes miss having separate volume controls as they give a lot of blending option. Have fun!
You ought to. The Bernies are a steal at $800 or less.

It was owning a Bernie, and guys like Les (Lazlo) telling me the Stripped 58 was in an even higher league, that made me go a head and buy it.

I like having two volume controls but two tone controls is redundant.

My Bernie has two volumes and a master tone and I like that better.

Last edited:
I do have a question for those of you who have those same brass ht. adjustment screws.

What tool do you use to turn them without marring the soft brass?

Looks like a silver dollar might work.

Congrats!

I'm extremely happy with my '58, which is my only Core, and am looking forward to your experience with comparing it with your other older Cores and the Bernies.

The one data point I've seen so far is from 2012 Guitarist review posted by @Fullmoon 1971:
The SE245 is frankly almost as good as that first (2001 Core) Singlecut; the Bernie Marsden is quite possibly better. But the Striped 58 is a league ahead; more vintage-informed, more dynamic, and more musical.

For the brass studs, the action on mine is so low that I haven't felt the need to raise the tailpiece off the body, but if I ever do I'll do it during a string change and do it with my fingers. For adjusting the wraparound SE245 tailpieces I use a very wide screwdriver cushioned with thick paper in the slot with the strings very loose.

I logged in just to see if your new Stripper had arrived. Very cool, and it seems you like it. As you play it more, you'll probably love it more, too;

All Core PRS' have one piece backs. StewMac makes a tool specifically for those brass height adjustment screws.

Lookin' goodie in the hoodie!

I had an SC58 I liked a lot. Played and felt better than a Les Paul. They really are nice. Congrats!

Congrats and happy stripper day! You made a very wise choice with this one. Enjoy!

I personally prefer the two volume knobs on top once used to it. I've thought about rewiring my other 4 knobers I like it so much.

Back