NGD: SE 245 2022

Awesome - will give this a try. On the second fret, there is a weird mark – It doesn't look like natural pattern in the fretboard, but almost like a glue stain that was wiped out:

IMG-1561.jpg

Well..setup is done. Everything is perfect except for the open high E. When played open, there is a slight slight slight buzz (I guess this is what people say is the sitar sound?). Maybe the high E nut slot is too deep. I put a piece of paper in there and let the string rest on top and back into the nut slot. It instantly improved the high open E sound-no more sitar like tones.

Disappointing as its brand new, but these things happen I guess. My luthier would charge me another $200 to basically replace the nut and do a full setup.

Anything else I can try before I get into that?

Update - did a bit of measurement and it seems to be within spec. I can get a .15 feeler gauge between the high e string and first fret....

Odd though, the high e seems to not resonate the same as the other strings when plucked. It has this weird vibration or overtone.

Well..setup is done. Everything is perfect except for the open high E. When played open, there is a slight slight slight buzz (I guess this is what people say is the sitar sound?). Maybe the high E nut slot is too deep. I put a piece of paper in there and let the string rest on top and back into the nut slot. It instantly improved the high open E sound-no more sitar like tones.

Disappointing as its brand new, but these things happen I guess. My luthier would charge me another $200 to basically replace the nut and do a full setup.

Anything else I can try before I get into that?
The old baking soda and superglue trick would work nicely on the nut slot. I resurrected a Mexican Strat that was thought to be hopeless using that method. Easy and works well.

Update - did a bit of measurement and it seems to be within spec. I can get a .15 feeler gauge between the high e string and first fret....

Odd though, the high e seems to not resonate the same as the other strings when plucked. It has this weird vibration or overtone.
The nut slot might be cut improperly. Wrong angle, too tight, sloppy, etc..

Back