NGD! S2 Singlecut W/ Review

Great review! S2's are the guitars for me - they are the only thing going on in the guitar universe right now that really excite me (and I am looking forward to a Singlecut standard in the near future). Ol'Lefty, I was on the fence about the inlays when I got my Mira, but decided to go with the birds and I am glad I did - they started out a bright, flat white but in the year-and-a-half that I have had the guitar they have yellowed noticeably and gained some depth to the color they didn't originally have. They are unique to the S2's and that makes them cool.

I was on the fence too with the inlays. I really wanted pealoid style. But They really grew on me, on both of my guitars.

Just a little update, Honeymoon is over. I think I prefer the SC to my Cust24. Because of the tonal variations.

Well, mine is back from warranty. They did a beautiful refinish on the neck, but it either has a "1/16th" -1/8" dent or a "fisheye" in the middle of the back( fisheye would have been in a blending area). I would be really upset, but it was bound to get "dinged" sometime and they just took care of that for me. I sent a detailed note on my setup with the guitar and that is how it returned. I have been playing a Strat while it is gone and had forgotten how "silky" my S2 action is. They are great guitars- worth double the price for what is delivered. It would take some amazing salesmanship to convince me I needed a core guitar. However, I totally understand paying core and artist/signature money for a guitar- my "Lucille" was a very early one and they were custom shop only then, so it was pricey. On the other hand, the only guitar I would pay $5000+ for would be a Martin DS (slope shoulder) 45- yes, I like pearl. Medical co-pays forced the sale of my only Martin, a D12-28, a 1976 with none of the problems associated with Martins of that era- best 12 string action I have ever had and rosewood that looked more Brazilian than Indian and big booming tone and articulate treble tone too. It was a gem. I am very slowly building a "replacement." It is an Imbuia, 12 fret to body, slope- dread 12 string. I could easily be dead before it is completed. Sides are bent and neck is finish- ready and that is it.

Played her at band practice today. Being able to coil tap the bridge pickup and roll back the volume knob is awesome. Nice and jangly for verses. But then I had the neck pickup wide open for the chorus of the song. Flick of a switch instant tone change!!!

Sounded great through my live setup. Much better than my little amps at home.
EXACTLY why I purchased my pair of Singlecut S2s (and to not tour my vintage guitars:). I also own 3 late 90s Custom 22s and a pre-lawsuit Singlecut......the S2s are tonally a bit different but you can't touch the price-to-quality ratio.

Dude that is so nice! Great top.
Congrats.
I took delivery on an S2 SC SH last week. Love it! Great wood. Great build. Great pickups (Vintage with greater clarity). Pots and switch are just ok.
Mine benefitted from treble bleed caps.
Done.
All critical things to make these guitars exceptional players right "out of the box" have been addressed.

Back