NGD! S2 Singlecut W/ Review

Christopher Horton

So first off, a little back story.....if you want pictures, just scroll on down!

I hope the guys at PRS are reading this...and the naysayers of the S2 line

I have, over the past twenty years, literally played every type of guitar imaginable. I started with LP's, and moved on to every brand under the sun. I never had a guitar longer than 6 months usually. Ive played 7 strings, 8 strings, baritones, fender, gibson, ibanez, esp, epiphone, agile, godin...name it: I played one in a professional situation.

Last year when I discovered PRS, I was blown away by the quality of my custom 24. So much so, that I sold my other electric guitars. I didnt play them anymore (Including an SE Custom 22). So I have treated myself to yet another PRS! Now I have an "equal" guitar to my Custom 24.

Anyone in doubt of the S2 line, I can attest that the quality is there. The only real maintenance Ive done with my Custom 24 over the last year has been a couple truss rod turns, and polishing the frets. Other than that, plays like the day I bought it. I think Im a PRS player for life.

11110277_10206406138889871_1820274641832721520_n.jpg

11037110_10206400678713370_4851340962652437351_n.jpg

11203094_10206400678193357_8731858297405579860_n.jpg

I scoured the internet for as much info on these as I could find. Unfortunately, theres not a lot of reveiws. So here goes one:

Craftsmanship/Quality: Super well built, arrived set up from the box almost perfect. Changed the string height to my liking. I looked her over, and could not find one finish flaw. This one was made last year, and still has the "SC250" logo on the truss cover. I think they now say "singlecut". The guitar is a little on the heavy side, but in a good way, as in "built like a tank". It feels solid. All of the electronics were wired properly, and very neatly done. The finish looks gorgeous in person, and cant really be captured in photos. The Tabacco Sunburst isnt as dark on the edges and the back as it seems. You can see some woodgrain on the back of the guitar in the right light. The fretboard was a little dry, but I oiled it. The tag says it was made last year, which means it has been sitting in warehouse until I ordered it! And still arrived ready to play after tuning it up! Im so used to spending time doing a full set-up on a new guitar. What a relief to have one ready to go out of the box.

Tone: This will be subjective of course. But I will say that if you are looking for a LP type of sound, this is not for you. It has a sound all its own, and personally, while I think it does have some of the LP characteristics, it really has an original sound. The #7 picks are clear (even clearer now that I have adjusted the pole pieces) and you can coax just about any sound you want out of this thing. provided you know how to manipulate the volume and tone controls, you have a huge selection of sounds. Throw in the coil split, and you have even more options. The coil split has a unique sound as well. You cant ape a Strat like sound out of it, but it sounds great in split mode with a little dirt on it. Very bluesy. Im a bit surprised at the string separation of the pickups, as most stock pups even in higher end guitars get dumped for something with more clarity. But playing a full chord through high gain, still lets every note ring out. I wont be changing these any time soon. The sustain is KILLER. Once again, not like an LP. Not quite the sustain you get from an LP. But like I said in the beginning, this isnt an LP copy, it is it's own guitar.The tone is versatile enough to do Jazz, all the way to Heavy Metal. Im a bit concerned with the bridge, but I hear it is stable as long as you dont downtune, and holds intonation.

Overall, this thing is a sonic monster. I have played it through my usual Blackstar rig, a Peavey 5150, Fender Deluxe, and a Peavey Classic 30. It retains its own unique style with each amp. I didnt get an unsuable tone from and of the amps I played it through. But My Blackstar HT sounds the best to my ears.

Anyone saying this is just an SE on steroids is a bit mistaken. While the SE line is fine for what they are (Ive had one or two), I dont think they are really comparable. There is a noticeable gap in quality between the SE and S2 lines. Most south korean instruments are rivals in quality to some amerian made. I have played schecters/ltd that outdo any MIA fender. I see the appeal of the SE line, but it isnt for me.

I had the opportunity to buy a core guitar, but I am a professional musician. Sometimes in an upscale venue, sometimes in a dive bar. I couldnt drop that kind of cash on something I was afraid to beat up a little. I think PRS nailed the market with the S2 line. They are outstanding guitars with many of the core line features, without all the appointments that make the core line so expensive. I am the exact consumer PRS is looking for in this line. A professional musician that needs a well built, reliable instrument that Im not afraid to take out to shows.

No, I dont work for PRS. But if you offer me a job, Ill take it!

Though never a pro, I have had similar quality guitars in my life. My S2,a Dark Cherry Burst Singlecut, #8519 pleases me in the same way. Not even a warranty refinish of the neck changes my mind. It has been gone now for about 2 months, but Matt King who runs PRS warranty, keeps me up to date. Getting a perfect match is not easy and as long as they are working at it, I will patiently wait. I just play my Robert Cray Strat- a world apart, but a great blues guitar. I replaced the neck with an ebony FB and Sperzel lockers- I soaked the ebony with CA and polished it to a velvet gloss- vibrato is enhanced with the ebony and no cracking worries. I think the S2 will be back home soon.

Thanks for the review! That was a good read. They really are a working man's guitar, and pieces of art too. That singlecut looks so good! A perfect burst. Congrats!

Great review and spot on about the S2 market, which for some reason baffles a lot of people I bump into.

My S2 has the most highly figured top I have come across- when I was offered exchange, at no expense to me, I chose to stay with my guitar, repaired, again at not a penny from me. When it returns I will do some pictures. Right now I don't have any worth the trouble of uploading to PB and then to here.

Great review and spot on about the S2 market, which for some reason baffles a lot of people I bump into.

It seems to leave a lot of PRS players confused. But its pretty simple:

PRS SE series: Not made by PRS, designed and spec'd. Crafted by world instruments. Great guitars. The best you can buy with $700 or so, IMO. World instruments produces great guitars. Esp's LTD line is proof of that.

PRS S2: Made by PRS in America. Electronics by world instruments. Better woods, better craftsmanship. The "studio" of the american line. The best you can buy in the price range (Kills any LP studio Ive ever played). Made for gigging, a workhorse american guitar.

It seems to leave a lot of PRS players confused. But its pretty simple:

PRS SE series: Not made by PRS, designed and spec'd. Crafted by world instruments. Great guitars. The best you can buy with $700 or so, IMO. World instruments produces great guitars. Esp's LTD line is proof of that.

PRS S2: Made by PRS in America. Electronics by world instruments. Better woods, better craftsmanship. The "studio" of the american line. The best you can buy in the price range (Kills any LP studio Ive ever played). Made for gigging, a workhorse american guitar.
And there you have it. +1.

Thanks for the great/thorough review! I recently picked up an S2 Standard 22 & have been blown away by its playability & tone. Enjoy it!

Played her at band practice today. Being able to coil tap the bridge pickup and roll back the volume knob is awesome. Nice and jangly for verses. But then I had the neck pickup wide open for the chorus of the song. Flick of a switch instant tone change!!!

Sounded great through my live setup. Much better than my little amps at home.

Thanks for the review, not nearly enough done of the S2 series. I'll look closely at the S2 Standard line soon, again. In the meantime, I decided to try out the SE line one more time, and recently got the Clint Lowery model.

Really a beast of a guitar, exactly what I wanted, something for the heavies, in drop tuning modes. It's also the most opposite of what PRS guitars are known for, that being somewhat flashy or ornate (which is what the S2 line is also not). The CL is all black, except for the binding on the body, fretboard, and even the headstock, which gives it a very cool look. Love the adjustable bridge too. Pickups might get changed, but there the best of 4 SE models I've owned now (Custom 24, older Tremonti and a 245). Maybe the heavier gauge strings have something to do with that.

But I'm glad you like your S2, and it looks really nice. I would agree too, that most of the pics just don't do these models justice, but I like the middle pic you took a lot. The price point is very reasonable too, and I would clearly take these over any of the Gibson Studio line, or even models costing up to $2500.

Thanks for the review, not nearly enough done of the S2 series. I'll look closely at the S2 Standard line soon, again. In the meantime, I decided to try out the SE line one more time, and recently got the Clint Lowery model.

Really a beast of a guitar, exactly what I wanted, something for the heavies, in drop tuning modes. It's also the most opposite of what PRS guitars are known for, that being somewhat flashy or ornate (which is what the S2 line is also not). The CL is all black, except for the binding on the body, fretboard, and even the headstock, which gives it a very cool look. Love the adjustable bridge too. Pickups might get changed, but there the best of 4 SE models I've owned now (Custom 24, older Tremonti and a 245). Maybe the heavier gauge strings have something to do with that.

But I'm glad you like your S2, and it looks really nice. I would agree too, that most of the pics just don't do these models justice, but I like the middle pic you took a lot. The price point is very reasonable too, and I would clearly take these over any of the Gibson Studio line, or even models costing up to $2500.

The Clint Lowery also has a longer scale right? 25.5?
The SE guitars are a fantastic value. PRS himself said they aimed to make the best guitar you can buy in that price point, and they nailed it. There was a time when import guitars were scary, but World Music Instruments in south korea have turned that around. They have talented people making great guitars. I think some of the ESP/LTD models are on point with their Japanese upscale models. And Schecter makes fantastic guitars there too. The same goes for the SE line. Ive seen plenty of pro musicians using the SE's on stage and getting great tones. I considered both a core Singlecut, and a SE245 before I made this purchase, and wound up right in the middle with S2. Mostly for the quality, but also for the convenience.

On an SE245 I would: Change the nut, put on locking tuners, change the pickups..etc. The S2 already had all of those things.

On a core model I would: Piss off my wife for spending more money for a guitar she cant tell the difference in. lol

" Workhorse American Guitar" - couldn't be better said. With lasers and CNC so available, the two things I would have paid more for are: real pearl inlays and inlet back covers. I think that the covers are done on the surface because of the risk involved in doing those shallow cuts around the cavities, too many total losses in bodies because the pass for the cavities would not have been difficult to program for inlet covers but chip-out threatens. As for pearl, well, I first started working on guitars in 1965 doing inlay work so I am biased toward the real thing. Neither make a performance difference but in the old days, a farmer would pay more for just that little extra in his main workhorse for good conformation. As for actual play quality, more money could not really buy more than I received- I set mine up in minutes to equal the best I have ever had (not counting the overnight wait after trussrod tweak). Tone is so subjective, but I get blues out of it- that is all I need. I am getting itchy waiting for its return.

Back