pauloqs

PRS McCarty
KmHupMl.jpg

7 lbs 6.7 oz of awesomeness. Had to raise the action on the low side just a hair. Also the nut had a bit of a sharp edge, but that took me less than a minute to address giving it a more played in feel. First time I experienced this with a US made PRS. However, if any of you encounter this, I suggest you to not dismiss what could be an amazing guitar. I also changed the control layout to match LPs and 594, which to me is the correct way. Neck controls on top, bridge controls on the bottom. I’ve heard people say that this guitar doesn’t have as thick tone as a LP, which I think is absolutely wrong. It is if you have the tone all the way up, but with the tone all the way down it has a much darker sound than a LP with the tone all the way down. In other words, tone knobs are there to be used, not just set them all the way up. This didn’t wow me a much as my S2 Mira, but I have a feeling that in the long run this will be a very loved guitar. It has a very dark Whale Blue finish. I’ve always wanted a Whale Blue guitar. The top is very 3D. I’m really happy with it.

That looks really cool, that super deep whale blue!

4-knob controls are weird for me: I need to remember to figure them out whenever I pick up a guitar that has them, because they are different on various guitars, but I haven't settled on a preferred configuration.

Also, I have and had many SC guitars. Tele, LP, LTD EC-1000, Greg Bennett Avion Av-3... This is the most comfortable SC I've ever played sitting down, and it isn't just the belly cut. I've played LP, Teles with belly cuts and the LTD has a belly cut as well. There is just something about the shape of the upper bout of the PRS SCs that makes it more comfortable.

That looks really cool, that super deep whale blue!

4-knob controls are weird for me: I need to remember to figure them out whenever I pick up a guitar that has them, because they are different on various guitars, but I haven't settled on a preferred configuration.
I can't think of anybody who does their own thing besides PRS, and even they went with LP style controls on the 594s.

I can't think of anybody who does their own thing besides PRS, and even they went with LP style controls on the 594s.
Well, I have a Gibson Les Paul, and I have a PRS SE ZM, and, um, that appears to be it! Weird, if you had asked me off the cuff how many four-knob guitars I owned, I would have said three or four at least.

Good thing I have a Semi-hollow SC594 on order...

Well, I have a Gibson Les Paul, and I have a PRS SE ZM, and, um, that appears to be it! Weird, if you had asked me off the cuff how many four-knob guitars I owned, I would have said three or four at least.

You guys are amazing. It's NGD for me and you find a way to mention a guitar I'm GASing for. However, I might wait a few years on the SC594 semi-hollow, because I might consider my 1st PS. I'm thinking Pernambuco neck, Redwood body, Maple Cap, Peroba Rosa or Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard.

Well I might have kissed goodbye to the PS plan. I found a brand new 2018 10-top SC 594 SH on reverb for a price that I can only believe was incorrectly listed. It's too ridiculous of a price for me to actually believe the seller will actually send me the guitar. I'll believe it if and when I receive the guitar.

I've own Fender also does their Tele Deluxes with LP position controls. I started on an LP copy years ago and picking up a PRS that has their 4 knob configuration always throws me off.

I'm a sucker for just about anything Semi-hollow or Hollowbody. I've got a CE24 Semi-Hollow on preorder right now. I've been drooling over the 594 HBII, but that's just not in the cards right now.

This is the first SH I've ever owned. Always wanted one, but always ended up getting other things instead. It's an incredibly fun guitar and the fretboard edges are rolled deliciously. I also looked into those SH CE24s, especially a used reclaimed wood one, but decided to go the S2 route. The neck on those CE24s are addicting, though. You've been warned ;)

Well I might have kissed goodbye to the PS plan. I found a brand new 2018 10-top SC 594 SH on reverb for a price that I can only believe was incorrectly listed. It's too ridiculous of a price for me to actually believe the seller will actually send me the guitar. I'll believe it if and when I receive the guitar.
Well, do let us know when/if it arrives! What color is it?

Well, do let us know when/if it arrives! What color is it?

I'm not very optimistic, as I'm not exaggerating when I say the price was ridiculous. If anything, ridiculous doesn't fully describe how low the price was. The seller most likely experienced some technical difficulties. They had for about an hour or so several PRS listings for prices that were too good to be true. I had dealt with this seller before and they were pretty awesome. They are a PRS authorized dealer. I don't know if Reverb requires sellers to honor a price, but I've read that there are ways around these things. Anyway, listing says it's a Whale blue, but I'm pretty confident it's Faded Whale Blue.

Well, my Cinderella story is over and PS is back on the menu. Seller has refunded me. I suspected this would happen. Since I'm not getting the guitar and it was clearly an error in the listing, I feel okay sharing the laughable price of $169.99! Hence, why I didn't have an ounce of optimism. I'm actually glad the seller caught it as it just wouldn't feel right.

Back