NGD! My First PRS in 21 Years of Playing Guitar! *2002 SC 10-Top Content*

I've been using exclusively Dr Ducks for YEARS in rosewood, Brazilian, ebony, nitro finishes, poly finishes, v12 finishes, hardware, lubricate, clean, polish, ... the best product hands down for me. And using just a drop each time, a bottle last like forever!

I've been using exclusively Dr Ducks for YEARS in rosewood, Brazilian, ebony, nitro finishes, poly finishes, v12 finishes, hardware, lubricate, clean, polish, ... the best product hands down for me. And using just a drop each time, a bottle last like forever!
Nice! So you don't use the PRS "kit"? Just rub a few drops of Dr. Duck's on and that's it? No "sealer" like Behold furniture polish?

I've never "sealed" in the 21 years I've had a PRS. I used Gerlitz guitar honey until just recently. I've really liked the MusicNomad products and just started using their oil. I sought them out mostly when I got my PS with high gloss nitro. PRS polish couldn't be used be used on nitro so that's the direction I've gone. I like all the products I've tried from them. They seem to have put a good amount of thought and research into it, or at least in their marketing materials. :)

No, nothing.
Just pour a drop or two on a cloth and rub gently the board. Let it settle for several minutes and rub it with a dry cloth to remove the excess.
Same procedure for body finishes. So far, my boards are perfectly clean and humidified, and my finishes well taken care of

Last edited:
Does Dr. Duck's Ax Wax work on rosewood fretboards? I've used it quite a bit on my Martin acoustic which has ebony. Also, what does it mean to "seal" with Behold furniture polish? Does that just mean "rub on"? Thanks for advice!
I had an Aria Pro II Steve Bailey fretless 6-string bass with a black ebony board that I used Dr. Ducks on for about 2 years. Great stuff. Really and truly, people, I think the moral of the story here is that you can use just about anything and your guitar will be fine. I've NEVER heard of anyone ruining a guitar by using lemon oil, or naphtha, or mineral oil, or Pledge, any of the myriad wood carestuffs out there, or even just a cloth dampened with water. I think we get a bit too obsessive over these things lol!

I had an Aria Pro II Steve Bailey fretless 6-string bass with a black ebony board that I used Dr. Ducks on for about 2 years. Great stuff. Really and truly, people, I think the moral of the story here is that you can use just about anything and your guitar will be fine. I've NEVER heard of anyone ruining a guitar by using lemon oil, or naphtha, or mineral oil, or Pledge, any of the myriad wood carestuffs out there, or even just a cloth dampened with water. I think we get a bit too obsessive over these things lol!
I think if you use anything sparingly the chances of something going awry is awfully small.

Nonetheless, using a product like naphtha, which by its very nature can weaken wood or any organic material, is not what I would want to do too regularly, maybe once to get rid of really bad grunge.

And to "seal" something with Pledge etc is just applying a thin layer of whatever polish-material that is (I suspect a wax-like substance) to help keep the wood protected (sealed) from humidity changes (up or down).

Playing the guitar is probably the best treatment you can do for the wood itself, due to natural body oils. Unless you have acid hands (and I know a couple folks that do) - then you are stuck cleaning and sealing, I think.

Back