NGD - my 594 has arrived

markd21

Actually, it came yesterday but I was too busy to play it. I took some pics, but still haven't plugged it in. Weird, huh? Is it confidence that I know it will be amazing? Is it fear of sonic bliss? Anyway, tonight nothing is getting in the way...I WILL plug this beast in and let it rip.

In the meantime enjoy some shots. This is a hard color to photograph, but I think I managed ok....

Great shots of a hard to photograph color! Love the las pic. As good as the tone is on the 594, the neck carve kicks it up another notch.

Hot damn! She's a looker! Congrats! Can't wait for the report. Bliss may be an understatement.

Great looking 594!!!

Now just waiting to hear what you think as we feel kind of responsible for potentially influencing you on purchasing it...

Well....

I spent some time playing the 594. (As usual, lol) At first I wasn't really digging it. It wasn't gelling with my Bad Cat HC30. I tweaked out the amp, and found that the more I lowered the gain and bass the better the guitar sounded. Then I switched to a cab with an Alnico Blue speaker. THEN everything clicked into place. I was looking to achieve a smooth but crunchy sound, and I got it. Once I got the tone dialed in on the amp many amazing things became possible on the guitar....

Working the volume, tone and splits I was able to be rewarded with tones that covered the spectrum from near Tele-like to full-on Classic Rock. As with my SC245 and S2 Singlecut Standard, I found that my favorite sound is both pickups, neck split + volume rolled down to 8. Flipping the switch between that, the neck, and the full bridge humbucker is very satisfying for my needs.

Another thing I noticed about the 594....it's heavy!! I don't weigh my guitars because it's not a big deal to me, but - much like the Johnny Hiland - this guitar has some heft. It's still comfortable hanging on the strap. I tested a 594 at a local shop a while ago. I remember it being pretty light, and me not liking it. I think I prefer this design with some weight.

Regarding the neck....

I have to say I am not as enamored as others are. It's not bad, but I am not finding it earth-shattering either. Part of it might be that the guitar is still strung with 10s and my arthritic fingers began to struggle after about 20 minutes of playing. I just popped 9s on it, and I'll need to finish my set-up later on after dinner. So far though I am still preferring the Wide-Fat or Pattern neck.

Regarding the pickups....

I have the 85/15LT pickups in my Custom 22 Wood Library. However, they seem VERY different in the 594. I have to say based on the factory heights, I am not digging them. I figure while I am doing my set-up I'll lower them. I'll mess around and get to what's "best". No worries there. It's just a matter of adjustment.

Compared to my other PRS'....

At this point, I would have to say it's not jumping out as being a "replacement" for anything. It really does seem to do what the SC245 does. I have to play them side-by-side to recognize the differences. I will say I am a more than a little surprised that I am not totally blown away by this guitar. It's weird - I got this 594 and the CE24 Semi Hollow brand new out-of-the box - but the CE24 rocked me to the core and it's all I could play for several days. It inspired me to play. Maybe I am depressed (lol) but it took me almost 36 hours before I actually plugged the 594 in!!!

Wrapping this little "review" up, I'll say that I think the 594 is gonna be a cool addition. However, I have a gut feeling it might be like some of my other guitars - case queens only pulled out for specific "needs". I was kind of hoping for a workhorse...but it's too early to rule that out, isn't it - especially since I haven't even finished tweaking it for my tastes!!

What a beauty, congrats.
As to the like/love quotient, I'm betting it finds a way into being a top contender with adjustments.

Oh yeah, that's usually the case, lol. Once I tweak the neck and figure out the pickups I am sure it will scream!! I am totally blessed to have some favorites that I have just connected with and "speak" with the voice I want to hear. The Vela is in the category, as is my SC245. The new CE24SH falls into that category, too. It'll be interesting to see where the 594 ends up!! I am very excited about the guitar though.

Well it’s always the greatest luxury to have power under the hood and yet not use it!

Really nice guitar. Congrats!

Well it’s always the greatest luxury to have power under the hood and yet not use it!

Really nice guitar. Congrats!

Indeed it is! I just finished setting it up to where it feels super slinky and ultra-comfy for my playing style. I put the little bow in the neck that I like, lowered the neck pickup to be level with the ring (how I think PRS neck pups sound best), balanced the bridge pup to taste (by ear more than anything) and ripped on this bloody monster for almost an hour.

Yes, it kills.

Yes, it plays like a mutha.

Yes, I think it's bringing something fresh to the table.

This is a cool guitar, for sure. Unique in its looks - still getting used to the toggle on the top horn and the "machine shop" vibe of the bridge - but awesome in its tone...I am glad I got it. I am also glad I got the guitar in such an ostentatious color also. Blood Orange is really weird in person. It's kind of red. It's kind of orange. But it surely is NOT subdued in ANY way. Getting this thing out on a stage will surely attract about as much attention as when I would gig the Eriza Verde MC-58!!

So, after the end the day, I can say the 594 is a winner. Thanks for pushing me over the edge, my fellow addicts!!

Back