NGD: 2023 Core McCarty 594

I finally got to take this guitar to a band practice last night!

Amp was my Mesa Electra Dyne and Trad 4x12. Analog drives and phase/vibe + wah in front, Stomp in the loop for delays, clean boost, noise gate + chorus/flanger.

I had a great time with it and overall things went very well. Fantastic crunch and lead tones. Lots of clarity but also considerable size/3D-factor to the sound. Great, usable single coil sounds on both the neck and bridge, as well (with a bit of help from my JHS Prestige). But the core humbucker rock sounds were amazing, which is my home base.

The low-wind pickups are very different for me, especially compared to the BK Black Dogs I've used in my LP for past eight years, so that is taking some getting used to. In some ways they are quite P90-like. They absolutely smoke with my MXR CBMOD (SD1 with EQ options), however the base, un-boosted crunch sound is pretty twangy and cleaner than I'm used to. I didn't try adjusting the Electra Dyne gain yet, as the practice was rolling along, working on new songs, and I didn't want to tweak beyond adjusting the bass, treble, and presence a bit. I normally have the gain at 2 o'clock with my LP, so bumping it up to 3 o'clock will probably do the trick.

Comfort-wise, it was a definite winner. Such a comfy guitar and amazing neck to play and hangs in a way similar to my LP when standing up, so it didn't feel weird and was an instant fit.

Looking forward to next week's practice with it and a gig in a couple of weeks! :cool:

The 58/15LT pickups definitely offer a unique spark and twangle when split or turned down. They are among my favorite all time pickups.

#594FOODGROUP

Comfort-wise, it was a definite winner. Such a comfy guitar and amazing neck to play and hangs in a way similar to my LP when standing up, so it didn't feel weird and was an instant fit.
You know, after a while these 594s (or any PRS in general) start to feel so comfortable that a Les Paul starts feeling uncomfortable. I actually ended up selling my last Les Paul upon purchasing my 594 in June. Congrats on the new guitars!

Still loving this gold top more and more! Got it out to another band practice and had a great time with it.

Also getting to really like the single coil sounds, especially the neck pickup.

Back