new to us bike

Bonehead quirks? Funny, I think mine is just perfect for me. Well, perfect after I took off what I didn't want and put on what I did want. What "quirks" would you be talking about?[/QUOTES

I wear a size 13 shoe so the heel toe shift assembly takes up too much space on the left floorboard. Kind of limits were I can put foot. I plan to take off the heel lever to solve that problem.

My leg hits air filter assembly just enough to be annoying

Fuel tank is way too small

Not enough space between me and passenger.

Remember, these are my complaints coming from a sport bike guy. We had to buy used not new so maybe these things have been addressed on 2015 models

We tried a BMW K1200LT. It was ridiculous top heavy and they have final drive issues. They can be had cheap but final drive repairs can be very high.

1800 goldwing is a great bike. This and the BMW has too much windshield. I don't like having to look through it all the time. When they get some age they can be very difficult to see through in bad weather. The goldwing handles incredibly well. BMW and goldwing can be boring.

HD plus points. Great cornering clearance. Great sound (put stock pipes back on mine) great dealer network. Tons of aftermarket support.

We got our HD cheap due to previous owner getting DUI charge. It has a lot if extras on it too so money dictated this purchase. If we like it we will trade up next year.

Bummer, had a pretty full day after 11am today. Wish I could've met up with you guys.

I wear a size 13 shoe so the heel toe shift assembly takes up too much space on the left floorboard. Kind of limits were I can put foot. I plan to take off the heel lever to solve that problem.

My leg hits air filter assembly just enough to be annoying

Fuel tank is way too small

Not enough space between me and passenger.

Remember, these are my complaints coming from a sport bike guy. We had to buy used not new so maybe these things have been addressed on 2015 models

We tried a BMW K1200LT. It was ridiculous top heavy and they have final drive issues. They can be had cheap but final drive repairs can be very high.

1800 goldwing is a great bike. This and the BMW has too much windshield. I don't like having to look through it all the time. When they get some age they can be very difficult to see through in bad weather. The goldwing handles incredibly well. BMW and goldwing can be boring.

HD plus points. Great cornering clearance. Great sound (put stock pipes back on mine) great dealer network. Tons of aftermarket support.

We got our HD cheap due to previous owner getting DUI charge. It has a lot if extras on it too so money dictated this purchase. If we like it we will trade up next year.

This reply isn't to tell you "you don't know what youre talking about", but maybe I can shed some light on the "upgrades" made from the 88ci to the 103ci, and it seems their "Project Rushmore" upgrades did address a couple.

I'll agree on the heel-toe shifter, I've never had one, and found it quite obnoxious, even with only a size 11, lol. I talked to the dealer about it, and he did say it's an adjustment (and I guess they make a longer heel arm to give some more space), but after a while most people prefer it. I did find it kind of tight, but not a deal breaker.

I found the stock filter on the 103 engine, to be fine, didn't notice my leg hitting it, although I don't know how it'll be if I decide to go with an after market filter.

I believe the tank size now is a gallon bigger than they used to be.

The passenger seat area does look small, but some of the changes they made to the passenger back rest do seem to allow a little more room between driver and passenger. I haven't ridden the Ultra yet, but did take the Street Glide out (that's what they had ready, and I really wasn't in the mood to ride since it was cold, but wanted to check out some of the features on the road quick), but sitting on the Ultra with my GF on the back, I didn't feel cramped behind me... getting used to a more upright position is what's gonna probably take me some time to get used too.

I totally understand where you're coming from though. I'm coming from sport bikes and muscle cruisers. Even on my boulevard I still had forward controls and was leaned over the tank pretty good, so it'll take some getting used too overall, but I think it'll be well worth it being able to take a trip on the bike and not wanting to end myself because of the pain before even getting to my destination.

I took the heel lever off leaving the toe lever and instantly felt better. I can place foot anywhere on floorboard without having to make room for heel lever. I didn't mention this before but I hit heel lever by mistake twice and shifted bike without clutch. I'm very happy that toe and heel lever are separate items.

My ultra managed 36 mpg this past weekend. That's not very good for a touring machine. I do remember when the 1800 goldwing came out that was the biggest complaint, poor fuel mileage. I could put a 6 speed transmission on it but I worry the 88 may struggle with that. I think for now I will leave it stock as we may trade up if we really like this format.

Even with my complaints this motorcycle has turned biking into an enjoyable experience again so it's all good.

BTW nice looking boulevard and gsxr.

I forgot to mention, no reverse gear.that sure would be nice and poor front brake. In my opinion, anything 20 years old or less should have a decent front brake.

If I make any mods to my ultra it will be better rear shocks. Harsh bumps are transmitted directly to the rider. Im going to have to study the rear air shocks that are on it now. Quick glance it doesn't appear to have much if any adjustment.

Wife and I are making plans for our bike trip to Kentucky over the 4th. I can't wait, we will have so much fun!

I forgot to mention, no reverse gear.that sure would be nice and poor front brake. In my opinion, anything 20 years old or less should have a decent front brake.

If I make any mods to my ultra it will be better rear shocks. Harsh bumps are transmitted directly to the rider. Im going to have to study the rear air shocks that are on it now. Quick glance it doesn't appear to have much if any adjustment.

How many pounds of pressure are you running in it? (A special hand pump is required.) When I rode by myself I would keep about 18 pounds in it but with the wife, tour pack and all the crap she bought while out riding, I keep it around 25 pounds of air pressure. A lot nicer ride.

Definitely a nice bike. I have a '00 BMW Roadster with Givi fifty liter trunk and saddle boxes. Awesome adjustable ride and "anti-dive front suspension". I wouldn't mind getting a HD.

One thing I like are those headlight bulbs that you wire in (very simple) and when it gets light out in the morning they will flash on and off at a decent rate, getting the attention of just the people that are prone to ignoring bikes. Switch on the high beam and they stop flashing. Very much a safety item. They also make a tail light bulb the flashes in rapid succession three or four times when you touch the brake. These things get the attention of soccer moms, old folk, etc.

I used to go on long weekend trips with my son almost every weekend. We had fun. We went to a couple BMW rallies, toned down from the HD rallies, but still quite sparked up with lots of cool bikes and women. The rallies gave you the chance to talk to dudes that know a lot more about bikes than you do and might have some accessories that you are interested, like cool handlebar GPS mounts. I had a Magellan GPS on my bike. I now have a real nice Garmin - the best. That BMW rides better and brakes better than any bike I have ever owned. 1100cc and about 90hp. Sport touring tuned suspension and lots of storage.

Good luck with the bikes. Watch those front tires of cars trying to pull across the lane from the side streets. If they are moving be very careful.

I have GIVI 50 liter top case and two 40 liter side cases for my RF900. I can carry a LOT of stuff.

I used to go to Wisconsin guzzi and BMW rallies back in the day , back then I took my nephews since I didn't have kids yet. Also went to Illinois guzzi rally since it was really close to home. I can't sleep on the ground any more so those days are gone.

HD manual says 20-25 lbs in rear shocks. No damping adjustments at all. I'll make sure they are set at those settings before our big trip

I used to party pretty hard at those rallies back in the day. A buddy of mine Sergio from Brazil got plowed on a bottle of soco that I gave him. He passed out in the blue outhouse!!!!!! He never let me forget that. We laughed about that for years. I haven't seen him in a really long time.

Picked mine up today, started a new thread like an idiot, probably should just combine, but I also have a couple new guitars that should be coming next week I wanted to tease everyone with, lol.

Back