New PRS cu24 core. feels a bit loose

OK.....new strings and a setup did the trick. Close one....I was worried I'd got a "non magical" guitar.....relief......... The guitar sounds great....my overall feelings about the 85/15s are good. Definitely different sounding. I like them and will keep them for a while, though I still may go back to the 57/08s...For my taste, thats still the best Pup, though I have not tried the 58/15s yet. The 85/15 is sort of like a 59/09 but a bit more high end...maybe a little lower output and a bit more bass. But overall I'm good. Thanks for the advice everyone. Panic over

OK.....new strings and a setup did the trick. Close one....I was worried I'd got a "non magical" guitar.....relief......... The guitar sounds great....my overall feelings about the 85/15s are good. Definitely different sounding. I like them and will keep them for a while, though I still may go back to the 57/08s...For my taste, thats still the best Pup, though I have not tried the 58/15s yet. The 85/15 is sort of like a 59/09 but a bit more high end...maybe a little lower output and a bit more bass. But overall I'm good. Thanks for the advice everyone. Panic over

Happy endings rock!

[...] The 85/15 is sort of like a 59/09 but a bit more high end...maybe a little lower output and a bit more bass. But overall I'm good. Thanks for the advice everyone. Panic over

Yes, great that you had a... happy ending... ;)

IME the */15s are more open sounding with more high end. Not much brighter per se, just more high end extension.

I love the 57/08s and 59/09s, but I can see how going from a setup tuned for the 57/08s or 59/09s would sound different. Personally I strongly prefer the open sound of the */15s for more note definition—you can turn down brightness, but you can't add it back if it isn't there.

FWIW. Enjoy!

I agree, 57/08 are better than 85/15. It's taken me a while to come to that conclusion.
85/15 split a little better but 57/08 have a syrup-like quality and the bridge is less harsh sounding.

I agree, 57/08 are better than 85/15. It's taken me a while to come to that conclusion.
85/15 split a little better but 57/08 have a syrup-like quality and the bridge is less harsh sounding.

Yeah, the 85/15s are nice and just different. I agree they aren't bright in their extended treble but I still prefer a more midrange focused pickup like the 57/08. Just something mean and nasty about that pickup.
I'll probably go for a custom 22 or a McCarty next. Haven't decided on which. Just need to hear those 58/15s. The raving thats been going on about that pup has been super positive. Best PRS pup ever..? I'll have to track one down.

Yes, agreed on the sound of the 57/08s. I think of the 57/08s as more chocolatey. Which is of course the technical term.

Here's my thinking, having guitars with all three pickups: The 57/08s are a warm pickup with a fatter lower midrange than the 85/15s (or one might simply say that the frequency balance tends to favor the lower mids more). But there's also some cut in just the right part of the frequency response that's right where it needs to be to keep the pickups from sounding muddy.

I have a low-turn version of 57/08s in my McCarty Singlecut, but have had the other versions in former PRSes. Being something of a traditionalist, I tend to favor these LT versions.

The 85/15s are hotter, and have a balance that favors the upper mids and higher frequencies. They're also clearer than the 57/08s. They're one of the things that make the CU24 so useful to me, since I already had 57/08s in other guitars. I really like the way they work for solos that have to cut through a dense mix - I tend to need that with some of the styles clients have me do in my ad work.

The 58/15s remind me of a cross between the 57/08 and a Soapbar pickup. There's extension in the high frequencies, great clarity, and they split incredibly well. Again, there's tremendous utility in having my McCarty, a guitar that sounds different from the other two. I really like this guitar for rhythm work, arpeggiated chords, and soloing if the mix isn't too dense.

I find that every guitar has its own unique purpose in my productions.

I'll also put in a good word for the pickups on my 20th PS Anniversary guitar, the Paul's pickups with the Narrowfield middle pickup. This guitar is so gorgeous sounding that it's almost a shame to use it in a dense rock track, it sounds so good in a smaller ensemble! It's clear to me that PRS has been thinking a LOT about pickups and how they sound best in various instruments. This is such a good thing!

I'm looking forward to the 594 with the LT version of the 58/15s.

Back