New PRS cu24 core. feels a bit loose

cmcgrath72

So, I just picked up my new CU24 pattern regular after waiting for 4 months for the order. I had played a cu24 with the 85/15's at the store I purchased from and it sounded great. Fat, focused and different. But they did not have any colors that I was into so I placed an order for tobacco sunburst (my fav). The guitar arrived, looks, feels and plays amazing. Tonally..??....a bit loose and nothing special. Honestly...not much character. It doesn't sound the same as the guitar in the store which was the same model. I owned 2 other cu24's with pattern thin necks, which I've sorta grown out of, and really, really love the pattern regular and pattern profiles, which is why I got this. My other two guitars sounded amazing...but I sold them to buy this guitar and eventually a McCarty. I figured it's PRS, you can't go wrong.
One thing right away I noticed on the new guitar is that the string tension is much looser than my other 24's.
Could that be the reason for the less focused, loose tone? The tension doesn't feel as balanced. Or possibly the strings? setup? or is it just a non magical guitar:( The 57/08's were my favorite ever...but the 85's at the store sounded awesome....just not on this guitar.... Any advice?

Try changing the strings and making sure the setup is to the factory specs, including the pickup heights - at least as a starting point. Futz with the pup height a bit to get the best result you can.

Then maybe try it in the store and compare, so you use the same amp as you did when you checked out the ones you liked, if possible.

Try changing the strings and making sure the setup is to the factory specs, including the pickup heights - at least as a starting point. Futz with the pup height a bit to get the best result you can.

Then maybe try it in the store and compare, so you use the same amp as you did when you checked out the ones you liked, if possible.
Yeah, pup height adjustment and strings may make a big difference. The guitar is fresh from the factory...dated june 13th.....
Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Check neck relief.Perhaps neck is too straight and needs 1/4 turn or less to loosen trussrod alittle.

[QUOTE="cmcgrath72, post: 275538, member: 1505" It doesn't sound the same as the guitar in the store which was the same model. .... Any advice?[/QUOTE]

Here's my advice: can you get your hands on a time machine in good shape?

The-Future-Is-Now

Every guitar has its own sound, and dare I say, its own soul. Guitars aren't widgets.

When you find one that sounds amazing, don't order one in a different color thinking it's going to be the same exact thing. Buy the one you liked in the first place.

I have made this mistake myself on several occasions. PRS can make them all feel great, look great, and fit together really, really well. But even PRS can't make every piece of wood resonate in the very same way.

Because Paul Smith doesn't make trees.

[QUOTE="cmcgrath72, post: 275538, member: 1505" It doesn't sound the same as the guitar in the store which was the same model. .... Any advice?

The-Future-Is-Now

Every guitar has its own sound, and dare I say, its own soul. Guitars aren't widgets.

When you find one that sounds amazing, don't order one in a different color thinking it's going to be the same exact thing. Buy the one you liked in the first place.

I have made this mistake myself on several occasions. PRS can make them all feel great, look great, and fit together really, really well. But even PRS can't make every piece of wood resonate in the very same way.

If I had a time machine, I'd invest in NOS tubes...well, they wouldn't be NOS yet...

It doesn't sound the same as the guitar in the store which was the same model. .... Any advice?

The-Future-Is-Now

True enough...was hoping it would impress me like my other cu24s. This guitar has a muddy, metallic sorta tone. I

Last edited by a moderator:

Well...maybe he SHOULD!

CMcGrath72 - I hope you are able to bond with your new baby, and fix anything that might actually be wrong.

I have never special-ordered a guitar. I have bought dozens over the internet. Returned dozens too. Sometimes a guitar is just a keeper. As Les pointed out, if it sounds like you want it to, buy it! Then! :)

I have a 2013 CU24 with 57/08s that is one of (if not) the best CU24s I have ever heard. The 85/15s sound darker by comparison at first, but what my ears (and brain) notice now is that they have all of the spark and definition, but with more smoothness and body. Maybe your ears need some time to adjust.

Good luck, hope it turns out well for you in the end. Keep us posted...

Well...maybe he SHOULD!

CMcGrath72 - I hope you are able to bond with your new baby, and fix anything that might actually be wrong.

I have never special-ordered a guitar. I have bought dozens over the internet. Returned dozens too. Sometimes a guitar is just a keeper. As Les pointed out, if it sounds like you want it to, buy it! Then! :)

I have a 2013 CU24 with 57/08s that is one of (if not) the best CU24s I have ever heard. The 85/15s sound darker by comparison at first, but what my ears (and brain) notice now is that they have all of the spark and definition, but with more smoothness and body. Maybe your ears need some time to adjust.

Good luck, hope it turns out well for you in the end. Keep us posted...

thanks!,, I've been playing unplugged for a bit. There some rattle and buzzing going on against the frets. Could be the culprit . I'll get a setup done....I also had a cu24 with 57/08s from 2013. Super badass sounding. Love those pups.
Yeah, my 85/15's sound kinda tinny, metallic and not tight at all. I've noticed some people on the forum say theirs sound pretty fat and very articulate.
I'll keep you updated after the setup.. Thanks again for all your input.
I'm a bit fickle with my guitars, colors , tones, necks....I want it all in one guitar!

Am I the only one who thinks he's not 100% happy 'cause that's an Epiphone?
(Do you have any picture, by the way? )

I myself would find very hard to compare two guitars of the same model after four months, with different amps, different strings, different set up, different place... it's already been said but: do they still have the other one at the store? Can you go there and compare?

Am I the only one who thinks he's not 100% happy 'cause that's an Epiphone?
(Do you have any picture, by the way? )

I myself would find very hard to compare two guitars of the same model after four months, with different amps, different strings, different set up, different place... it's already been said but: do they still have the other one at the store? Can you go there and compare?
They sold it. lol....was not into purple though...I'm a vintage burst guy all the way. But I'll say this, it doesn't sound as good as the other two CU24's I had. Like I said, I'll change strings, get a setup, see how it goes. Here's some pics:
IMG_4176.JPG
IMG_4177.JPG

Sorry, you haven't had a good experience so far. You're on the right path getting the setup done. If you're hearing buzz/rattle unplugged, there's a good chance there's not enough relief in the neck. I'd say if you have a setup guy that sets up the way you like, do it. It's worth asking what the measurements are. If you're not comfortable making the adjustments, having a couple inexpensive tools(capo, small ruler and a feeler gauge) would at least let you check things out to see if it's on par with how you want it. IMO, it's worth knowing how to do setups yourself because it saves a lot of time and money. But it's not for everyone.

I once got a guitar in trade and it was really "meh" to me at first. I restrung, set it up and I really didn't want to sell it after that. Made a HUGE difference. A lot of it was the neck relief. It came to me, neck super straight and extremely low action. Some tweaks and it was a really nice guitar.

Thanks guys....appreciate all the advice. I'm going to go get a new setup done....if all else fails, I will get 57/08s installed in the bridge. Maybe I'm just not digging the 85/15s....though I'm hoping I will.
I really love the look and feel of this guitar. The tobacco burst is a really nice one. Pattern Regular neck shape is the perfect fit for me. I tried posting some pictures and they were visible at first, but vanished later. I keep trying to post again but it's not working.
sorry.

If I had a time machine, I'd invest in NOS tubes...well, they wouldn't be NOS yet...

I think I'd invest in Apple stock. And what the heck, let's go all the way. I'd bring some nutmeg to Europe after the fall of Constantinople in 1453 (it sold for more than gold), buy a few choice Renaissance works of art with the money, stop in 1700 and get myself a Stradivarius or two (WTF, both a violin and a guitar), then go to the 1800s and pick up some railroad stock...

A '59 Burst. Maybe a '58. A nice '65 Ferrari GTO. And NOS tubes, because why not? Hello, young Paul R. Smith, I'd like a really special guitar, please.

OK, I'm sounding greedy.

But there's the whole question of preventing various world wars, terrorism, and atrocities.

And hey, should I tell the captain of the Titanic about the iceberg? What about Caesar and the Ides of March, and wouldn't it be fun to meet Cleopatra (maybe too much fun, huh)?

I know the comic books don't allow that to happen, because history would be changed but...Hmmm.

Hey Noah! I dig your boat! I see you're into pets...

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd always buy the one in the shop that you liked and has mojo.
My BEST guitar is an Orange Fade 2013 CU24 with 57/08s (uncovered).
It has a magic that my Wood Library (now with uncovered 85/15s) can't quite get to.
I don't know if it's the 57/08s or the orange guitar wood or whatever (the Wood Library should be better grade wood - feels like it!).
The orange one has that bit more mojo.

"Grandpa, what's mojo?"

"Ah, I'm so glad you asked, child. Now gather 'round, children, and I will tell you all about my good friend, mojo."

"Yaaayyy!!"

"Once upon a time there was a magical musician who could play the guitar so well that people came from miles around just to hear him play. But this musician had a problem. He couldn't find a guitar that had a special sound, or reacted to his fingers playing in an inspiring way. So he became depressed and sad."

"What happened to him, Grandpa?"

"Well, this musician recited incantations to the Voodoo spirits, and asked them for a guitar that would come alive in his hands. And after a while, his doorbell rang, and a box was on his doorstep. When he opened the box, a guitar case was inside, and in the case was a fiery guitar that he couldn't take his eyes away from.

"When he pulled the guitar out of the case and played it, the music soared as it had never soared before, and women threw their underpants and hotel keys onto the stages he played, and he lived happily ever after."

"What made them do that, Grandpa?"

"Mojo. When people hear mojo, some of them lose their self-control. Mojo is Voodoo. No one understands why some guitars have that magical Voodoo, and some don't. You can't tell which guitar will have it by looking, a guitar either has the mojo, or it doesn't."

"Grandpa?"

"Yes, child?"

"Do the people who throw their underpants on the stage get cold?"

"Um...Not really."

Back