NGD - Finally picked up a core!

I can't even begin to express how awesome this guitar is. Of course, I went full crazy with the wood library.... but this guitar just speaks to me on all levels. It plays well. Sounds great. Feels great. Look amazing. I even think the 85/15s with the TCI tuning sound way better than the Fralins i have in my SE CU24 with the mini toggles and coil taps.

This guitar, for me, is 26 years in the making. I got off of the streets as a homeless person to be able to own a guitar like this. I'm not a great player. Might not even deserve this guitar from a professional aspect. But damn, I am happy. I get to jam with people every couple of weeks and my wife and I get to sing and play together. We did so at our wedding.

My wife? She is a penny pincher. But even she could see why this mattered so much. She helped make this purchase possible.

Thanks to every one on this forum for the support, encouragement and feedback throughout this endeavor. I am keeping the SE as the backup, and I love that guitar. The new one just does the same thing in such an improved way.

#1stWorldProblems

Congratulations! What a joy to get to play these instruments! I love my SE DGT too and am keeping it even after getting my cores. My PRS guitars are among my most prized possessions.

Agreed! I've been playing this SE CU24 (modified to a 24-08) for a long time. The new guitar felt like home right off of the bat, other than where the pickup selector is located. :p

I'm not scared to take out the core to play if and when I get the chance, but it's nice having the SE with different pickups but the same essential configuration as an option if I know I'm going to be playing it in the cold etc... or somewhere I really don't want to take the core.

This is a CU24-08 wood library with a satin Jade Smokeburst 10 top, swamp ash body, rosewood neck, cocobolo FB and headstock veneer and TCI tuned 85/15s.

I'm used to an SE CU24 that has Lindy Fralin's with coil taps and mini toggles. The pattern thin neck is a bit fatter than the wide thin on the SE, but it already feels like home. The pickups sound amazing, even compared to the Fralin's. Really stoked to get my hands on this one.

Congratulations have a stunning day.

One thing I’d like to know, I’m the same as you I have one Core and one SE, can you put into words the difference in play/feel?

Enjoy that gorgeous neck.

Congratulations have a stunning day.

One thing I’d like to know, I’m the same as you I have one Core and one SE, can you put into words the difference in play/feel?

Enjoy that gorgeous neck.

Man, that is a great question. Let me see if I can give some solid observations here.

For starters, since the pickups are different, there are differences in tone. I'm running through a pedal board into a Katana Artist 100w with the waza 2x12 cab and I'm getting a little more articulation from the core, especially in my slightly overdriven channels. This is probably a combination of output differences as well as the differences in the pickups themselves. Either way, I haven't needed to tweak anything yet. It just sounds great the way it is.
As far as actual play and feel?

The pattern thin neckon the core is a little slimmer and fatter feeling (I haven't measured to confirm for sure) than the wide thin on the SE, but not so much that I feel like I have to adjust. I'm not someone who likes the fat necks on a Les Paul as I grew up on the Ibanez train. I've had a couple of fat necked guitars over teh years (Zach Myers, anyone?) and could play them but it felt more like work and less like play. Never could connect with those guitars.

The upper body edge of the guitar feels a little more sharp on my right forearm from the violin carve. I don't think it's going to be any sort of issue, but it was noticeable when I first picked up the core. I'm expecting it to go from a satin finish to gloss over time here first.

Also, the trem arm on the core is much more low profile and closer to the body. I don't treat it like a floyd rose (no dive bombing at least) so I don't see it as being an issue. I've just been playing the SE for so long that it's weird every time I grab the arm on the core. Also, it feels like the trem on the core is a little more sensitive. It takes a little less work to achieve the same effect. I have a Mann solid brass bridge upgrade on the SE, so I don't think it's a quality issue with the bridge or the bridge screws. Might be the springs that make the difference.

The volume and tone knobs on the core have zero resistance. They almost feel loose. I'm used to CTS pots that have a nice smooth resistance to them. The pots feel cheap to me because of this. It's actually my only complaint. My buddy has a core HBII and he has the same complaint. I think it's a matter of preference and what you are used to. I probably won't even think about it 6 months from now. :cool:

This is also my first experience with phase 3 tuners. I haven't made a string change yet, but the tuning of the strings themselves feel smooth and like it's an upgrade from the locking Gotoh's I have on the SE. Wondering why I didn't go PRS for the tuners on the SE now. :D
On the SE, I satinized the neck finish because I really dislike the glossy lacquer feel. I do sweat and it gets sticky. The oiled rosewood is a nice treat. It's not apples to apples with the satin finish on the SE, but I have zero complaints. I'm not fighting the neck at all while playing the core.

Overall, the core is very resonant, a joy to play, sounds amazing, looks amazing and just has mojo for days. I was worried I had put it on too high of a pedestal and was going to be disappointed with it. That's not the case. It is worth the difference in cost? It is to me, but dollar for dollar, an SE with some upgrades is more than adequate for even a gigging musician, which is why I'm keeping mine around but selling some other guitars to help offset the cost. Keep what you connect with, move on from the rest. ;)

I think that about covers it. If I think of anything else, I'll update this post to keep it in one place.

Man, that is a great question. Let me see if I can give some solid observations here.

For starters, since the pickups are different, there are differences in tone. I'm running through a pedal board into a Katana Artist 100w with the waza 2x12 cab and I'm getting a little more articulation from the core, especially in my slightly overdriven channels. This is probably a combination of output differences as well as the differences in the pickups themselves. Either way, I haven't needed to tweak anything yet. It just sounds great the way it is.

The pattern thin neckon the core is a little slimmer and fatter feeling (I haven't measured to confirm for sure) than the wide thin on the SE, but not so much that I feel like I have to adjust. I'm not someone who likes the fat necks on a Les Paul as I grew up on the Ibanez train. I've had a couple of fat necked guitars over teh years (Zach Myers, anyone?) and could play them but it felt more like work and less like play. Never could connect with those guitars.

The upper body edge of the guitar feels a little more sharp on my right forearm from the violin carve. I don't think it's going to be any sort of issue, but it was noticeable when I first picked up the core. I'm expecting it to go from a satin finish to gloss over time here first.

Also, the trem arm on the core is much more low profile and closer to the body. I don't treat it like a floyd rose (no dive bombing at least) so I don't see it as being an issue. I've just been playing the SE for so long that it's weird every time I grab the arm on the core. Also, it feels like the trem on the core is a little more sensitive. It takes a little less work to achieve the same effect. I have a Mann solid brass bridge upgrade on the SE, so I don't think it's a quality issue with the bridge or the bridge screws. Might be the springs that make the difference.

The volume and tone knobs on the core have zero resistance. They almost feel loose. I'm used to CTS pots that have a nice smooth resistance to them. The pots feel cheap to me because of this. It's actually my only complaint. My buddy has a core HBII and he has the same complaint. I think it's a matter of preference and what you are used to. I probably won't even think about it 6 months from now. :cool:

This is also my first experience with phase 3 tuners. I haven't made a string change yet, but the tuning of the strings themselves feel smooth and like it's an upgrade from the locking Gotoh's I have on the SE. Wondering why I didn't go PRS for the tuners on the SE now. :D
On the SE, I satinized the neck finish because I really dislike the glossy lacquer feel. I do sweat and it gets sticky. The oiled rosewood is a nice treat. It's not apples to apples with the satin finish on the SE, but I have zero complaints. I'm not fighting the neck at all while playing the core.

Overall, the core is very resonant, a joy to play, sounds amazing, looks amazing and just has mojo for days. I was worried I had put it on too high of a pedestal and was going to be disappointed with it. That's not the case. It is worth the difference in cost? It is to me, but dollar for dollar, an SE with some upgrades is more than adequate for even a gigging musician, which is why I'm keeping mine around but selling some other guitars to help offset the cost. Keep what you connect with, move on from the rest. ;)

I think that about covers it. If I think of anything else, I'll update this post to keep it in one place.
Just for the record on the volume pot; they’re not “cheap” and they’re supposed to feel the way they do. That’s how Paul likes them so that’s what goes on the guitar. IIRC, they remove a washer, or something like that. One of the PRS folks explained that here some time ago. Also, I get the annoyance. I’ve turned down the volume accidentally while playing.

Just for the record on the volume pot; they’re not “cheap” and they’re supposed to feel the way they do. That’s how Paul likes them so that’s what goes on the guitar. IIRC, they remove a washer, or something like that. One of the PRS folks explained that here some time ago. Also, I get the annoyance. I’ve turned down the volume accidentally while playing.

Thanks for confirming that. I figured it wasn't a defect, but just something that I am not used to. Hopefully I don't do the accidental very often. I mostly pick in between pickups or strum over the neck pickup so my hand generally stays away from the area by default. I wonder if one could put the washer back in to give it a little resistance.

Of course, this is the first guitar that I don't want to muck around with or void the warranty on so... I'll probably just live with it unless it's a real issue. Besides, if no one is screaming at Paul to change it, it must not really be an issue anyway.

Thanks for confirming that. I figured it wasn't a defect, but just something that I am not used to. Hopefully I don't do the accidental very often. I mostly pick in between pickups or strum over the neck pickup so my hand generally stays away from the area by default. I wonder if one could put the washer back in to give it a little resistance.

Of course, this is the first guitar that I don't want to muck around with or void the warranty on so... I'll probably just live with it unless it's a real issue. Besides, if no one is screaming at Paul to change it, it must not really be an issue anyway.
I believe some put a small rubber o-ring on the shaft.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

I believe some put a small rubber o-ring on the shaft.

Nope, you ain’t gettin’ me that easy ;)

Back