NBD! (New Bike Day)

dmatthews

Dave's not here
At 61 and diagnosed with a blood clot last year, I felt like getting back into shape (round is a shape, right?) whilst doing something I like but in a new and fun way!
Got home tonight and went for two rides. Dayum!!!
E-bikes rawk!

Now... without further delay...
A Giant Fathom E+ 2 for your perusal.
Here it is all loaded up at the store today. Got it a day earlier than expected!

Drove home and took a few snaps...

Close up of batt pack...

Went out for a quick spin. Will do another after supper. This thing is stupid fun!
Oh yeah... not even 90 seconds into the first ride, I come across another MTB rider going the other way/towards me. Not quite under his breath, and easily heard he says... and I sh!t you not...
"That's cheating!".
WTF?!!???
I immediately let out a loud guffaw/laugh! Man... is that what I'm in for? Really? I was expecting a comment or two on a more difficult trail or hillclimb, but tooling around the neighborhood?
Goof! Put yourself in my shoes, or STFU. :mad:
Anyway... whatever.
The power selections are easily made. Mostly didn't use anything over 3rd level of assist up hills.
Gear shifts are smooth and easy. What a cool ride!

Last edited:
Here are the controls.
Two strips of LED. One strip to show 5 assist levels, and one to show 5 levels of battery.

This bike is so new that the app (Bluetooth to phone) isn't even ready yet.
Anyway, I can use Strava/GPS for speed/distance/whatever until then. I'll probably offer myself up for beta testing. I seem to do that a lot.
Gotta go ride again! :D

That looks dayum fine any way you slice it!
How many speeds?
Mine's a 1x10

I’ll have to look, LOL. :oops:

It’s a nice bike. Carbon and high-end Shimano shifters. I had a Specialized Roubaix Pro, but I needed something more upright this time. My biggest problem riding are my neck and upper shoulders from holding my head up. :(

I bought this in early June.

If I could go back, I’d buy what you bought instead.

The only thing wrong with this, is the seat! Just from looking at it, my body aches in places I can’t talk about on the internet. :eek:
I have a Giant mountain bike that is over 20 years old and gets “rode hard” (not serious off-road, hard) and I’ve never done one thing to it. Lube the chain every spring, and go til winter.

Yes, an ebike is absolutely cheating. But hey if it gets you out in the world and you get some exercise, I'm all for it!

I got burned out on my road bike and my all-terrain bike has been out of commission for 8 months now. I got hit by a car and the wheels are toast. I just need to quit buying guitar stuff long enough to buy new rims!

The only thing wrong with this, is the seat! Just from looking at it, my body aches in places I can’t talk about on the internet. :eek:
I have a Giant mountain bike that is over 20 years old and gets “rode hard” (not serious off-road, hard) and I’ve never done one thing to it. Lube the chain every spring, and go til winter.

That's what the cool shorts are for! The right seat can be very minimal. It just has to properly support your sit bones while not getting in the way of your legs.

I’ll have to look, LOL. :oops:

It’s a nice bike. Carbon and high-end Shimano shifters. I had a Specialized Roubaix Pro, but I needed something more upright this time. My biggest problem riding are my neck and upper shoulders from holding my head up. :(
I completely understand.
I'm 6.0' which puts me into a large frame if I want.
Inseam and overall feel made me choose the medium. I think I made the right choice in order to be a little more upright. Might even move the seat forward a tad...

Yes, an ebike is absolutely cheating. But hey if it gets you out in the world and you get some exercise, I'm all for it!

I got burned out on my road bike and my all-terrain bike has been out of commission for 8 months now. I got hit by a car and the wheels are toast. I just need to quit buying guitar stuff long enough to buy new rims!
Hey now...
Cheating is doing nothing... that's cheating yourself:p
Sorry to hear you got hit! Hope you're OK.

That's what the cool shorts are for! The right seat can be very minimal. It just has to properly support your sit bones while not getting in the way of your legs.

Yeah, I ride a mountain bike for exercise, so I’m not into the “cool” shorts. I’m one of those guys that the serious bikers look at and snicker. I’ll wear cross training shoes, and dry fit Nike or Adidas cross training shorts and shirt, with compression shorts underneath. I don’t wear bike outfits. Homey don’t play that.

Yeah, I ride a mountain bike for exercise, so I’m not into the “cool” shorts. I’m one of those guys that the serious bikers look at and snicker. I’ll wear cross training shoes, and dry fit Nike or Adidas cross training shorts and shirt, with compression shorts underneath. I don’t wear bike outfits. Homey don’t play that.
Oh dear... No pics of me riding then.
I just wear... I dunno… clothes

Wait, that thing is motorized. I had it all wrong, didn’t I? You probably wear a studded black leather “Ride To Live” jacket, black leather boots, and a Harley Davidson doo rag.

anything that gets us out there is good, looks great

just don't buy an electric car until i retire from digging up dinos

If only a well known swimming clothes brand made cycling shorts! Or maybe they do?!;)

I dunno…

By definition, shorts are cool... right?
Well they're cooler than pants... and in England pants is bad!
So yeah... cool shorts!
I think...

You can cycle in your pants in Scotland, you might get some grief!:D

Back