NGD - SC594 Soapbar & new family picture

xxxadixxx

GAS got the best of me a few weeks ago and I became obsessed with getting a nice P90 single cut to fill out my arsenal. All of my existing guitars were perfectly suited for most of my musical range (metal, hardcore, and prog metal) but were just not hitting a great raspy punk tone (I have been on a long Bad Religion kick recently). As the forum always does, peer pressure began as soon as I started asking questions. A few members gave great examples of P90 tones from a wide range of musical styles and @LSchefman provided a really cool side-by-side comparison of a P90 and humbucker. I was hooked and there was no turning back.

I spent a short amount of time looking at Gibson P90 Les Paul Standards, especially a nice gold top (OMG!)... I just could not pull the trigger for some reason. My PRS Guitars have just spoiled me and so I quickly pivoted to PRS soapbars. I started with my basic constraints (fixed bridge, preferably single cut, "simple" grain, natural back, suitable for a nice rocking guitar) and quickly realized that significantly narrowed the field. "Then, depression set in" (sorry, Stripes is one of my favorite movies!) when I realized PRS has not carried many soapbar models, let alone as a single cut. Just when I was about to give up hope, I stumbled onto a 2017 article about a limited run of 594 soapbars and started looking to them. There were a couple on reverb, but nothing was exactly what I wanted.... until I saw a listing for a 2018 SC594 Soapbar noted as "New Display Model". I was skeptical about a 4+ year old "New" guitar which really threw me off for about a week. I called the store a couple of times to talk to different Sales People, I do not know why other than trying to make myself comfortable they were at least telling me the same lie :)

While I went back and forth about this Display model another great SC was listed and before I could reach out to the Seller, it was gone. I started to get nervous and went ahead and pulled the trigger last weekend. This awesome SC594 Soapbar in McCarty burst (with natural back!) arrived today. It is right in the middle of my work day so I could only show it about 20 minutes of love, but so far I am blown away. The feel of the guitar is amazing and feels like home (see the family resemblance?) but the tone is very different. I did some side-by-side comparisons with my 2018 DC594 (my other SC594 is in D-Standard) and the new Soapbar. It was really cool to hear them back to back on the same riffs. This is going to be so much fun.

The moral of the story is if you want to hold on to your money, stay off the PRS guitar forums! I keep getting so many great ideas that just seems to make my money fly away. Now, if you want great advice and encouragement to give into guitar purchase impulses, then keep spending a lot of time on the forums! Thank you all.

Family Picture this morning:
52346074610_c79c67110d_z.jpg

New Arrival:
52345893478_01dc6a10f7_z.jpg

52345648956_93e61c6607_z.jpg

52345648966_4705cf9b36_z.jpg

52344691067_7285237e2e_z.jpg

New Family Picture:
52346075540_a90c3a2ef1_z.jpg

Last edited:
"Simple Grain", you say you were after?! That's smokin' grain, son! How in TF that stayed for sale all that time is beyond me.

Congrats, very nice family you have there!
If I was going to sacrifice one of my requirements, the grain was one I “could live with”. I am still cracking up knowing I started by looking at a gold top and ended up with such an amazing top…. Complete opposite.

Back