NBD – So now what are the three PRSi you would get?

594! evey day, all day! I need to update my NGD for mine. That guitar and an HXDA are complete GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) killers. Bad to the bone, End of story!

Reactions: moT
For what you want, pretty much anything will work just fine. I'd get a McCarty, because it's extremely versatile.

Roll down the tone knob to find jazz tones (though it won't be a true jazz box, you need a hollow body for that anyway, and in fact, a hollow body PRS might be a very good choice for you).

I have been looking at some of the guitars on Daves and other places. I am trying hard to justify a 594 as my first PRS versus say a Bernie Marsden, Tremonti or 245. Please give me some pros and cons of each (and others I should consider) before I get sucked up too far into this GAS vortex and wake up to find all my credit cards were maxed out.

I have a 594 and 245, have played a Marsden SE, and haven't played a Tremonti.

The first consideration is cost, as you've implied. I'm not sure if you're referring to SE versions of the 245 or Tremonti, but even if you are talking core on those, they are about 2/3's the cost of the 594. The Marsden is a great guitar at any cost, but it's a particularly good value given that it's so much less expensive. As much as I like the 594, if I needed to be really budget conscious, I'd probably go with the Marsden over the others (even the SE versions of the 245 or Tremonti.) You can pick it up used, sell it without too much of a loss and get something like a 594 when finances are better.

Having said that, if the cost of a 594 isn't going to put you in the poor house or get you divorced, I personally like the tone, look, feel, vibe and ergonomics over the others, but that's a personal taste thing. I do think though that many others will end up coming to the same conclusion. I like the combination of extra thickness with double cut over other McCarty's (again, that's a personal thing), and I like the pickups that come standard on the 594 over 59/09s as an example with the McCarty body. Again, that's just me though.

The first consideration is cost, as you've implied. I'm not sure if you're referring to SE versions of the 245 or Tremonti, but even if you are talking core on those, they are about 2/3's the cost of the 594. The Marsden is a great guitar at any cost, but it's a particularly good value given that it's so much less expensive. As much as I like the 594, if I needed to be really budget conscious, I'd probably go with the Marsden over the others (even the SE versions of the 245 or Tremonti.) You can pick it up used, sell it without too much of a loss and get something like a 594 when finances are better.

Having said that, if the cost of a 594 isn't going to put you in the poor house or get you divorced, I personally like the tone, look, feel, vibe and ergonomics over the others, but that's a personal taste thing. I do think though that many others will end up coming to the same conclusion. I like the combination of extra thickness with double cut over other McCarty's (again, that's a personal thing), and I like the pickups that come standard on the 594 over 59/09s as an example with the McCarty body. Again, that's just me though.

Completely agree with all of this. As an owner of a Marsden, it would be a great place to start. It's soooooo much more guitar than it's price tag would indicate. Won't "break the bank" and it's an easy sell if you decide to move on. For your first, it would make a great choice! If money isn't an object, or doesn't cause guilt for dropping a good chunk on a guitar, 594 all day!

You people are NOT helping me practice restraint!
You certainly should not look at the used 594 offered at Dave's. I doubt it will last too much longer before someone takes it home if it hasn't sold already.

I find it's generally cheaper to buy what I want the first time, rather than buying something cheaper, realizing I'm not satisfied, then having to spend a second time to buy what I should've bought the first time around.

I am trying hard to justify a 594 as my first PRS versus say a Bernie Marsden, Tremonti or 245.

SE, S2 or Core?

For everyone in the world, without knowing anything about anybody, I would blindly recommend the 2015 and newer Custom 24 and the 2016 or newer McCarty 594. But then in your particular case, since you seem to be a Strat guy, I think your third guitar might be a Brent Mason signature model.

The 594 isn't that much more when you compare apples to apples. Only 9%-ish. Where the real savings would come is a used 245 or Tremonti, since there are so many available. Everybody does love the Bernie, though!

What holds its value the best leaving the shop?

In my neck of the woods I could give away an SE and loose less money than the the hit I'd likely take on a Core.

That said, I think the current best value is the S2 Standard Satins.

Generally speaking I don't care about resale value, but buying blind through the Internet is one of the times I do think about it. In other news, I found a shipping notice in my inbox this morning...

GIDDY UP! I guess you are going to surprise us.

Generally speaking I don't care about resale value, but buying blind through the Internet is one of the times I do think about it. In other news, I found a shipping notice in my inbox this morning...

Hot diggity dog!

I feel like the 594 and SC245 are in competition with each other, so I'd say figure out which you like best and get it.

This isn't being mentioned enough, and it's fascinating. I had a dealer tell me that the 245s don't sell all that well here, hence they can be difficult to find in the first place.

But boom, make it a double cut, make the scale length half an inch longer and suddenly they are flying off the pegs, apparently.

Guitar buyers are a strange lot.

This isn't being mentioned enough, and it's fascinating. I had a dealer tell me that the 245s don't sell all that well here, hence they can be difficult to find in the first place.

But boom, make it a double cut, make the scale length half an inch longer and suddenly they are flying off the pegs, apparently.

Guitar buyers are a strange lot.

Well, that, and the fact that the 594 just seems to that something "extra".

Back