NBD – So now what are the three PRSi you would get?

moT

Been quite busy these last few days/weeks, but bathroom is back together. Wife is happy. Might send pictures on case-by-case decision if you PM a request.

Since I ended up grudgingly doing almost all the work myself after several contractors fell through, I now have a spouse approved license to get more guitars (well at least one) using up to the contractor savings plus whatever I might be able to scrape together over and above. This speeds up and enhances my original plan to get one PRS to test the PRSi waters sometime this fall.

Right now I have a few acoustics and one Fender MIM deluxe Strat sitting around the house and no real amps. I plan on getting a decent amp and at least one PRS. Hopefully I can get several, but I may end up getting only one. So in order of what PRSi you would get if you had my current set up, given that I may end up not being in a position to get anymore after each purchase and might have to stop at just one or two, please list what you think I should consider first.

My current but very malleable wish list in preference order is

Some version of SC245
513 or BM
McCarty 594

Any other comments or considerations are welcome too. I still feel I am a complete novice with electric guitars and am open to ordering new on line or locally (40+ miles one way to closest PRSi store) and shopping locally for used though I could order used on line for the right reasons. I am a slacker when it comes to playing guitar but usually get at least one hour a day to practice this art. Also, I have not performed in public in several years with any instrument and the last time was on trumpet for a benefit. So any guitar(s) I get will initially be for me to fool around with in the evenings after the rest of the family has called it a night.

TIA,
Tom

New CE24. I`m going to go play one tomorrow. Ridiculous pickups. Get a Tech21 Trademark 30 for the amp. (Tech21nyc.com- listen to the sound samples) I`ve used it for everything from Musical theater to Rock. Small, light, and you get get damn near any sound from it. I go line out for the bigger venues unless it`s outdoors. By the way, my old CE24 is a keeper for life. The number of sounds is amazing.

Reactions: moT
I am a huge fan of my SC245, though I prefer the one-piece bridge to the current 2-piece models. Full-disclosure, I also found the pickups to be a bit anemic, so I went with a Cold Sweat set. I also have an original Singlecut that I have essentially modified to be an SC250 with SC250 pups and the adjustable one-piece bridge. It's a great guitar, but I prefer the 245. It has mojo and then some. That was the guitar that taught me what "plays like butter" actually means.

I also like the layout of the 594. I don't like most of the double-cuts because they put the switch near the bridge. The 594 is the only one I think I could be happy with.

If you are going for trashy gigging (like me), get a couple used ones and ding them up all you want. If your future is playing at home, get an artist, or a PS if you can afford it, and keep it nice (but wear out the frets multiple times).

It'd help if you mentioned the styles of music you would like to do with it.
On acoustic I play mostly classic rock, country and jazz standards. I would probably start in that area with an electric and see where it will take me.

594, 594, and wait for it......

As a new member of this club, I wholeheartedly agree! I've got an SC Ted (essentially a variant of the SC245), and several other core and SE models. If there was one desert island guitar, I'd grab the 594 without a 2nd thought. It's just that special.

Been quite busy these last few days/weeks, but bathroom is back together. Wife is happy. Might send pictures on case-by-case decision if you PM a request.

Alright. Go ahead. Send the pics of your wife...

My current but very malleable wish list in preference order is

Some version of SC245
513 or BM
McCarty 594

Clearly, a new bathroom calls for a BM.

For classic rock/country... it'd be a tossup between my 245 and McCarty.

245 for crunchy rhythm and twangy/edgy leads.

McCarty for fat cleans, thick chord work and smooth solos.

For jazz... no idea.

I'd buy the one that "spoke" to you, irrespective of model. Yeah, I know, not helping.

I have a SC-J whose price I don't expect to see again, otherwise I would recommend that one. It's the closest thing they have to a 335...but, you know, better.

CE24 isn't a bad option, I think. Vela is another one worth trying.

Or better yet, best places to look for 594s?

Nope, no poor mans option. Well, the basic core model would be as close to that as you could get. By that I mean no upcharge for a Wood Library or Artist Pacakge options. Just a flat out 594. I find the easiest place to look is Reverb. Lots of dealers post their stock there. It's easier than hitting 46!dealer websites. Once I find something on Reverb I would head to the dealer website to see if there's more info etc.

Check out this 594. Great price! And GORGEOUS!! (No I don't work there. But have bought from them before.)
226513.jpg

http://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/mccarty-594-16/

I feel like the 594 and SC245 are in competition with each other, so I'd say figure out which you like best and get it. A Brent Mason would be a great way to bridge the gap between one of those and your Strat. I think you'd be pretty well set at that point.

I have been seeing some non-10 top 594's coming up for sale, so that's a good way to keep the cost down. I've been using the "Shopping" results on Google to gaze longingly at what's available.

Back