NBD – So now what are the three PRSi you would get?

I think a lot of players don't even try the 245 because the idea of that short a scale is uncomfortable. I always assumed that the Gibson scale was about as short as you might want to go, and too short for me. I only ever liked 25.5" guitars, so I didn't even get interested in the 25" PRS guitars. But once a 245 landed in my lap, I found it to be unbelievably comfortable. Even more than my 25" SC.

How are the 58/15 LT pickups? I usually like a little EXTRA output and bite. Are they really tame? Or can they bark if you boost them?
I don't have them, but I've heard them demoed several times now (most recently last night), and they've got a really nice attack. I think that's the thing people don't get with output -- it's got nothing to do with output -- higher gain pickups just push the amp into the red sooner, but they all go there (into the red) with enough gain in your amp and your volume control set judiciously.

The real "bite" to me is that attack -- as long as it has those upper harmonics in the attack, I'm happy, and I've been very happy listening to these.

This isn't being mentioned enough, and it's fascinating. I had a dealer tell me that the 245s don't sell all that well here, hence they can be difficult to find in the first place.

But boom, make it a double cut, make the scale length half an inch longer and suddenly they are flying off the pegs, apparently.

Guitar buyers are a strange lot.

I think the 245 maybe doesn't have enough of its own identity. For me it's too LP, while for others it isn't LP enough.

The PRS doublecut created a unique identity that I think resonates with people and has formed a solid niche in the market.

How are the 58/15 LT pickups? I usually like a little EXTRA output and bite. Are they really tame? Or can they bark if you boost them?

I would say this, if you'd use an R9 you could sub a 594

I think a lot of players don't even try the 245 because the idea of that short a scale is uncomfortable. I always assumed that the Gibson scale was about as short as you might want to go, and too short for me. I only ever liked 25.5" guitars, so I didn't even get interested in the 25" PRS guitars. But once a 245 landed in my lap, I found it to be unbelievably comfortable. Even more than my 25" SC.

Chart from StewMac:
gibson_timeline.gif

It's all about (mis)perception. 24.5" is actually only a tiny bit shorter (0.063" or 1/16") than modern Gibson (and the desirable late 50's-early 60's), but since Gibson advertise as 24.75" it causes people to think there's a quarter inch difference between the PRS, which is arguably a significant difference in feel.

The McCarty 594 with its 24.594" (24 19/32") scale makes up the difference and then some, ending up 1/32" longer than the Gibby 24 9/16" (24.563").

Very small differences all around!

Those small differences have a pretty significant effect on tone, though, and that's what we're all chasing...

What I found interesting is that the 245 somehow feels less cramped than a Les Paul. I was worried that the upper frets would be even harder to play, but I find them easier, and can get all the way up to the 22nd fret.

I think the 245 maybe doesn't have enough of its own identity. For me it's too LP, while for others it isn't LP enough.

It (the Core version) is also priced $500 higher than a Les Paul Standard, and while we may understand the quality, the average guitar buyer understands it costs $500 less for "the real thing".

I will start with
GET A 513 :) one of my newer babies and I am in love also look at a 408 :)
I also have a SC-58 it is one of the few short scale guitars I have ever bonded with
I have played some great 594s great tone but if it was me I would go Modern Eagle II instead of the 594 because everyone need a rosewood neck

Back