Which would you choose for your PS build?

Which would you choose for your PS?

• Flame

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Quilt

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
Quilt is 10 times rarer ... just an fyi Personally .. Spalted Curly Koa would be my choice
2017-11-30-016-1024x768.jpg

The poll is going the direction that I thought it might. I have been torn between the two. The only other guitar I had custom built has a one piece quilt top on it. I was thinking of doing the same thing with PRS.

Don't beat me up too bad, but, I am really not a fan of spalted maple or anything that has sap wood or anything like that in it. My eyes really like symmetrical patterns.

The poll is going the direction that I thought it might. I have been torn between the two. The only other guitar I had custom built has a one piece quilt top on it. I was thinking of doing the same thing with PRS.

Don't beat me up too bad, but, I am really not a fan of spalted maple or anything that has sap wood or anything like that in it. My eyes really like symmetrical patterns.
Than younare out of luck with a one piece quilt ;-)

Regardless of what you pick, if you are looking for a symmetrical top the selected billet needs to be fairly straight grain throughout it else you will lose symmetry as the top is carved; just something to be mindful of if you ever spec out a PS.
I am hoping that is something they will help with in this process. I have a good handful of 10 tops that I like so I feel pretty confident it will come out well. The guitar I mentioned earlier came out well. I picked that piece of wood and it has a carved top.

I did not vote because I would have to see them and if you end up doing a factory visit to pick, I would just leave it to that. As you know, there can be incredible examples of either and I could not choose until I had viewed the particular pieces as I think they are both winners ;~)) Sorry to be of zero help ;~))

I have been in back to back meetings today so I haven't had any time to call any dealers. I am still trying to figure out who will be the best one to help with this and I have no idea how the prices work. I think I have come to the decision that I want to do this and I want to take a trip to the factory to tour it and pick out the wood. I honestly have no idea how to make that happen at this point.

I have been in back to back meetings today so I haven't had any time to call any dealers. I am still trying to figure out who will be the best one to help with this and I have no idea how the prices work. I think I have come to the decision that I want to do this and I want to take a trip to the factory to tour it and pick out the wood. I honestly have no idea how to make that happen at this point.
Just pick a dealer and set up the visit with them.
There are good dealers that hang out here.

I’ve gone quilt, or off the menu with Private Stock. The vault team will guide you.

Back