My Tone Journey With The DG30 Amplifier

László

Too Many Notes
I have one of the “first 20” DG30s introduced at Experience ‘13. I bought it when it hit my dealer’s shop shortly thereafter. It came loaded with NOS glass. Mine’s paired with the matching cab.

It’s The Most Interesting Amp In The World!

First of all, the tone is truly adjustable in a lot of ways. It took me a while to understand how to get the most out of it, but it’s an amp I never get bored with. With many amps, the magic wears off pretty quickly, and I start thinking about what’s next in the amp world. With the DG30, my feeling is it only gets better, and I never feel the urge to replace it with something new.

In fact, after nearly 4 years, I am more excited about this than ever. That’s why I post about it. It’s like any classic amp - there’s the feeling that there may be different amps out there, but there aren’t better ones.

It’s also the most useful pedal platform I’ve ever had in my studio. My definition of a great pedal platform isn’t the usual “clean amp that just lets the pedals play through it like a PA system.” It’s an amp that reacts to pedals by having them become part of the organic tone of the amp. More a “tone-meld” than merely a louder version of the pedal. The DG excels at this.

So, as time has gone on, this amp has become more an integral part of who I have become as a guitar player, and I actually record with it more than with the HXDA because it’s such a great creative platform.

As with the HXDA, the DG is an earthy, organic, honest amplifier. For me, it’s a classic amp, one of very few on the market I’d put in that league. A keeper among keepers that lets it be about the player, the guitar, and the other gear, but has personality and vibe galore.

The DG30 is high on my list and all your talking about it does not help ;)

I'm hoping there's a foolish person out there who doesn't realize what they have, and lets it go at a ridiculous discount.

I'm hoping there's a foolish person out there who doesn't realize what they have, and lets it go at a ridiculous discount.

I realize it’s a bit of an investment to buy new, but it’s one of those instruments that’s actually worth the asking price because it has real, long term, value. Thinking about it as more of a long term piece you may have for many years, you realize the cost of ownership is pretty darn reasonable, and maybe it’s something that’s better to have than to wait for!

Of course, this equation assumes that it’s got your kind of amp tone.

If you try one, keep in mind that the Master Volume isn’t your typical one, It’s very dependent on the other controls because of the design. I pretty much run the master wide open - unless the gain is up around 3/4. Then I’ll back it off a little with the Master. At moderate gain settings in normal mode, the volume is very manageable, though it isn’t a bedroom amp, it’s a real big boy amp. :cool:

That's a great point. I have bought many items new and many more used. I usually decide this way... If it's something I really want to try, but am not absolutely certain I want to keep for good, I'll buy used. That way I can sell it and not be out much or anything. If it's something I'm SURE I'll keep forever, I buy new and get warranty, support my dealers, etc.

I know why some of the guys who paid $2K for a new amp and a year later sold it for $1K are not happy about it. I get it. I wouldn't be either. If it was $2K and sold for $1500, that's a lot easier to swallow (for me). But for amps it seems to be a buyers market and some great amps are a couple years old and sell CHEAP! That also makes it harder to buy new. I won't pay ever over 70% of the new price for used gear unless it's very new. If an amp used and 2 years old sells for 75% of it's new price, I'd never buy used.

But we all learn that even with these "rules" it doesn't work out that way. The last two amps I bought new, and was CERTAIN that I'd keep both forever, were the Mini Recto (already sold) and the Mark V25 (which may be sold soon). The last two I bought used (PRS Custom 50 and PRS Archon) will probably never leave me. The Archon I'm SURE of. And I'd probably only trade the Custom 50 for another PRS amp, like an MDT or something and only IF I thought they were covering lots of similar ground.

With guitars, same thing. Most, I buy for life. My PRS and EBMM I know are lifers and all were bought new.

But we all learn that even with these "rules" it doesn't work out that way.

I so completely agree.

I was telling a guy in another thread that buying instruments (I include amps in that category) is so emotional and subjective, that it’s nearly impossible to make sense and rationalize, create rules, etc.

I make pronouncements about things, and then turn around the next day and prove that my so-called logical pronouncements are a fool’s errand.

Only a week ago I said I was totally happy and would never buy another guitar, or sell/trade anything I have. Then I changed my mind and traded my McCarty in on a 594. I really believed what I said the day I said it, but when it comes to this stuff, I’m just freakin’ inconsistent as hell.

I think to some degree we all suffer from the same malady: predictions are difficult to make, and changing our minds is going to happen, it’s just a matter of when. :)

Speaking of the DG30. The most interesting and fun thing to experiment with are the Boost/Clean, Presence, Bright and Top Cut controls. (Once you have a Master/Volume balance set for your room).You can spend a lot of time dialing these in to your favorite sound flavor. The Boost switch is the 'Super Fat' control. I go direct with no pedals, nothing but guitar, cable and amp but use Grissom's or Les' tone stack settings(with a little less bass). And use my DGT for a guitar reference point. BUT, my Santana or McCarty both sound great too; but you must crank it up;not a bedroom amp. Is it a good price/performance amp? Depends, the brand new MAP will keep a lot of folks away, however if you ever find one 'slightly used' then it might be worth it. Tweed+AC30+Marshall 50 watt=DG30.

Last edited:
I think of the DG as more Tweed-like than the other flavors Flats mentioned, but elements of them are certainly there. Point is, it’s a fascinating amp.

Unlike most Tweeds, there’s better low-end balance. Unlike a 50 Watt Marshall, the bottom is tighter, and the mids are more balanced; unlike a Vox, there’s less chime, but more three-dimensionality.

It’s unique and familiar at the same time.

Speaking of the DG30. The most interesting and fun thing to experiment with are the Boost/Clean, Presence, Bright and Top Cut controls. (Once you have a Master/Volume balance set for your room).You can spend a lot of time dialing these in to your favorite sound flavor. The Boost switch is the 'Super Fat' control. I go direct with no pedals, nothing but guitar, cable and amp but use Grissom's or Les' tone stack settings(with a little less bass). And use my DGT for a guitar reference point. BUT, my Santana or McCarty both sound great too; but you must crank it up;not a bedroom amp. Is it a good price/performance amp? Depends, the brand new MAP will keep a lot of folks away, however if you ever find one 'slightly used' then it might be worth it. Tweed+AC30+Marshall 50 watt=DG30.

Id agree with this. I was alway curious about this amp. The new price was too much to justify, but when I happened upon a used one for less than half the price of new, it was too good to pass up. I'm happy with my investment!

So many people into this “guitar thing” have personality traits that tend to get them into trouble. On one hand, it’s tough to obtain the necessary subjective details to make a truly informed decision, especially through online-only resources. But the degree of OCD, knee-jerk reactions is amazing to me and something with which I simply can’t empathize. But I’m happy to be there to capitalize on the opportunity. :D Deals are rare on PRS amps, but they will happen. Someone will make a poor decision. Sorry for the derail...

Realization that you’ve found a musical soulmate - especially with an amp - is a helluva thing. I’m always happy for those that attain this achievement. No matter what the tone or style, I feel it makes for a better musician. :cool:

Beautiful, Rider.

Remember my tip to keep the Master Volume up. The amp can’t breathe right when it’s set low, due to PPI Master design. If you run the gain high, like over 2/3, then it works fine, but you miss out on great low gain tones IMHO.

Should sound great with your pedals, too.

Also, the cab matters.

Back