My Tone Journey With The DG30 Amplifier

Funny you said that about the name. I read about how great they were for 5 years at TGP and wouldn't even check them out because of the name. LOL I just thought, nah, that't can't be a serious, high end brand with that name. WRONG! I definitely need to try one or three.

The guy who started the company was an early TGP member, an enthusiast and speaker collector who built them by hand (I have no idea if that’s still the case). Very nice person.

The name’s too clever by half, but the product is great if you’re after those vintage sounds in the old Marshall or Vox cabs.

I put one in my HXDA (that toothace now has), and LOVED it. Much better than the V30 that was in it.

I put one in my HXDA (that toothace now has), and LOVED it. Much better than the V30 that was in it.

If memory serves, the Scumbacks are re-creations of the so-called “Pre-ROLA” Celestions of varying types.

“Pre-Whatevers” in a description immediately raise my suspicion, as with the so-called “Pre-Factory” PRSes that we all know were made in PRS’ first factory, except for the ones made before 1985.

That guitar players tend to worship whatever model of a product is earliest always amuses me, but the Scums are truly excellent speakers.

So Les, Jim still owns it and is a very helpful guy who loves to talk tone. He uses the "pre-rola" style cones and does all the doping himself.

Bodia, which model did you put in that amp? A V30 type (his J model) or other?

So Les, Jim still owns it and is a very helpful guy who loves to talk tone. He uses the "pre-rola" style cones and does all the doping himself.

It was a J75-LD, I think. I know it was the J75, and seem to recall a letter after the numbers. I don't think it was the PVC

Not surprised that Jim loves talking tone; I think a person gets into making limited-run speakers out of an obsession, more than anything else.

It was a J75-LD, I think. I know it was the J75, and seem to recall a letter after the numbers. I don't think it was the PVC

So his version of a V30 with large dustcap. Yeah, that would be nice! I was thinking you had told me J75 but couldn't remember.

I always detested the brand name (but I understand the story behind it); yet I have never heard ANYTHING but raves about these speakers. Nope, never experienced them myself to say...

Several WGS speakers are in a couple of my cabs and I’m a fan. But I’ve never considered any of their models for doing that old Marshall thing (a Marshall-like thing, yes). The Scumbacks have been compelling since I first heard about them on TGP. Always wanted a 1960a cab with nice, old Celestions in it but gave up on finding a reasonable deal. The Scumbacks in a beat up cab have been on my radar as the obvious alternative.

Several WGS speakers are in a couple of my cabs and I’m a fan. But I’ve never considered any of their models for doing that old Marshall thing (a Marshall-like thing, yes). The Scumbacks have been compelling since I first heard about them on TGP. Always wanted a 1960a cab with nice, old Celestions in it but gave up on finding a reasonable deal. The Scumbacks in a beat up cab have been on my radar as the obvious alternative.

The best sounding cab I have ever plugged any amp into was a late 60s Marshall 4x12 with whatever original speakers came in it (Did they have Greenbacks back then? I don’t remember). I was at a studio doing a session, and at the time I was a Two-Rock player. I had an Onyx Signature, more of a rock amp than most Two-Rocks at the time.

Obviously, the cab was old, and well broken in.

The Scumbacks I’ve heard remind me of that old cab. I’ve only heard a few. But, still...

Back