My Tone Journey With The DG30 Amplifier

Just watched the DG you tube video, this amp is immense, in his hands is like WOW!

Honest, I don’t post to hype stuff. I do it out of genuine enthusiasm. I get excited every time I fire this amp up.

I’m not in the honeymoon phase with the DG30; I’ve owned mine for nearly 4 years, so I think I’m pretty familiar with it, and have tried a lot of gear through it.

I’ve owned a lot of great amps from companies like Two-Rock, Mesa, Bogner, and many others, so I have (I hope) good benchmarks to compare it to among new amps, and in terms of old amps, I’ve owned many classics and have played through them in studios I’ve booked as well, if I didn’t own them myself.

Most amps used in my studio work have come and gone; the DG30 is one of only a few amps I’ve had that have been long-term keepers (another is PRS’ HXDA). I’ve used the DG30 on national ad and video projects the entire time I’ve owned it, and have gotten only 100% positive reactions to the tone from my clients.

Thing is, the DG30 is one of those amps that you can have a long term relationship with, and it keeps you happy. Can it be a little tricky to dial in? Hey, once you get your head around what the design is, it’s pretty easy. That said, lots of folks expect it to be like other amps because they look at the master volume control, figure they know what it does, and then don’t set it up right.

Same with the top cut control. People use it without realizing how it works (it could use a clearer manual, if you’re listening PRS), and wind up with the opposite of what they were trying to do in the first place. I could go on, but you get the point. Every time I play this amp, I want to spread the word about how great it is.

What I oughta do is keep the info to myself, and have it be a secret weapon, but I’m not that guy. I like to share! ;)

Honest, I don’t post to hype stuff. I do it out of genuine enthusiasm. I get excited every time I fire this amp up.

I’m not in the honeymoon phase with the DG30; I’ve owned mine for nearly 4 years, so I think I’m pretty familiar with it, and have tried a lot of gear through it.

I’ve owned a lot of great amps from companies like Two-Rock, Mesa, Bogner, and many others, so I have (I hope) good benchmarks to compare it to among new amps, and in terms of old amps, I’ve owned many classics and have played through them in studios I’ve booked as well, if I didn’t own them myself.

Most amps used in my studio work have come and gone; the DG30 is one of only a few amps I’ve had that have been long-term keepers (another is PRS’ HXDA). I’ve used the DG30 on national ad and video projects the entire time I’ve owned it, and have gotten only 100% positive reactions to the tone from my clients.

Thing is, the DG30 is one of those amps that you can have a long term relationship with, and it keeps you happy. Can it be a little tricky to dial in? Hey, once you get your head around what the design is, it’s pretty easy. That said, lots of folks expect it to be like other amps because they look at the master volume control, figure they know what it does, and then don’t set it up right.

Same with the top cut control. People use it without realizing how it works (it could use a clearer manual, if you’re listening PRS), and wind up with the opposite of what they were trying to do in the first place. I could go on, but you get the point. Every time I play this amp, I want to spread the word about how great it is.

What I oughta do is keep the info to myself, and have it be a secret weapon, but I’m not that guy. I like to share! ;)
To put in my Scottish terms “I’m no blowing stour” (I’m not blowing hot air in you) That amp is sweet as. You have every right to sing about it from the rooftops!

I can see why it would be your “go to” amp.

SWEET - sometimes P-90 are just the ticket

Yep they’re so versatile. Every house needs a guitar with P-90’s

I think of them as warmer and fatter sounding than many humbuckers, with more of a midrange richness. The frequency response of a vintage style P-90 pushes an amp in a special way that other single coils and humbuckers do differently.

But then, my first electric guitar was a ‘65 SG Special with P-90s, so they’re kind of a home base for me. :)

There is a light overdrive used on the solo track. I probably would use a boost instead if I redid the track.

Last edited:
I think of them as warmer and fatter sounding than many humbuckers, with more of a midrange richness. The frequency response of a vintage style P-90 pushes an amp in a special way that other single coils and humbuckers do differently.

But then, my first electric guitar was a ‘65 SG Special with P-90s, so they’re kind of a home base for me. :)

There is a light overdrive used on the solo track. I probably would use a boost instead.
I only had the joy of a P90 guitar a few years ago and they a unique sound. Love them, but then I love SC and HB too, they’re all good, if they’re made well

Back