My journey has begun!

I Am Baffled At Just How Shitty Some Dealers Can Be. I Am Glad You Are Moving Forward With Your Build And I Hope It Is Everything And More That You Imagined It Would Be And Expect That It Could Be. I Look Forward To Hearing All About It And Seeing The Pics Of It In The PS Thread.

Well, I had a little bump in the road with this. The dealer I picked didn't seem all that interested in this sale. There were very long lags between communications. Things were never done when they said they would be. I happened to think that if something went sideways with this build this dealer was going to be tough to deal with because this didn't seem to be a priority for them. I wanted more of a partner in this process. The main reason I picked this dealer was because I had purchased a guitar from them back in 2012 and it was a really good transaction. It seems they have grown a lot since then and don't have time to provide the customer service level they had provided in the past. I still wasn't able to get my questions answered and get the specs nailed down after almost of 2 weeks working with them.

So, that was the bad. Here is the good.

I had another dealer that I was very seriously considering. I have bought some parts and things from this dealer in the past and always had a good experience there. I was really close to calling this dealer first in the beginning. I gave them a call. I got most of my questions answered on that call. These are things I had been asking the other dealer and not getting answers on. I sent them the specs that I had nailed down along with the things I wasn't sure about. I had sent this same exact list to the other dealer. By the end of the next day we had the specs pretty much nailed down with only a couple of questions that needed to be asked to PRS. They had the answers by the next business day and we submitted the specs up the approval chain. You read that right. I had my specs submitted with this dealer within 2 business days where I had been in the process with the other dealer for just about 2 weeks and hadn't got this far. I got word yesterday that my specs have been approved and are now going to PRS for final approval. Once that happens I will pay the deposit and we will lock in a day for the factory visit. That could happen today.

I really wish I had called the second dealer first. The person I am working with there has been an absolute pleasure to work with. He has made this experience go from something I was getting pretty uncomfortable with to something I am very excited about again. I am not going to out the dealer I had a bad experience with. They post on here occasionally. The dealer that has made this a great experience again also posts here occasionally. Therefore, I will not divulge the name of the one I moved on from. I will at some point reveal the one that made this a great experience. They deserve all of the accolades I can give them. I will also reveal the guitar specs once everything is locked in. I am very excited to be doing this again!

So exciting!

Well, I had a little bump in the road with this. The dealer I picked didn't seem all that interested in this sale. There were very long lags between communications. Things were never done when they said they would be. I happened to think that if something went sideways with this build this dealer was going to be tough to deal with because this didn't seem to be a priority for them. I wanted more of a partner in this process. The main reason I picked this dealer was because I had purchased a guitar from them back in 2012 and it was a really good transaction. It seems they have grown a lot since then and don't have time to provide the customer service level they had provided in the past. I still wasn't able to get my questions answered and get the specs nailed down after almost of 2 weeks working with them.

So, that was the bad. Here is the good.

I had another dealer that I was very seriously considering. I have bought some parts and things from this dealer in the past and always had a good experience there. I was really close to calling this dealer first in the beginning. I gave them a call. I got most of my questions answered on that call. These are things I had been asking the other dealer and not getting answers on. I sent them the specs that I had nailed down along with the things I wasn't sure about. I had sent this same exact list to the other dealer. By the end of the next day we had the specs pretty much nailed down with only a couple of questions that needed to be asked to PRS. They had the answers by the next business day and we submitted the specs up the approval chain. You read that right. I had my specs submitted with this dealer within 2 business days where I had been in the process with the other dealer for just about 2 weeks and hadn't got this far. I got word yesterday that my specs have been approved and are now going to PRS for final approval. Once that happens I will pay the deposit and we will lock in a day for the factory visit. That could happen today.

I really wish I had called the second dealer first. The person I am working with there has been an absolute pleasure to work with. He has made this experience go from something I was getting pretty uncomfortable with to something I am very excited about again. I am not going to out the dealer I had a bad experience with. They post on here occasionally. The dealer that has made this a great experience again also posts here occasionally. Therefore, I will not divulge the name of the one I moved on from. I will at some point reveal the one that made this a great experience. They deserve all of the accolades I can give them. I will also reveal the guitar specs once everything is locked in. I am very excited to be doing this again!
Well, the bad news blows, but the good news is outstanding!

Now that this is locked in, I can let you all know what I am planning.

My PS build at this point.

McCarty 594 double cut
Trem bridge
One piece quild top
African mahogany back
Natural reveal binding on body
Figured mahogany neck
Brazilian rosewood fretboard
Flame maple binding on fretboard and headstock
20th anniversary birds
Quilted maple headstock overlay
12th fret inlay in the neck heel

Standard nut
Hybrid hardware
59/09 uncovered pickups with black rings
Amber lampshade knobs
Matching wood back plates
Dark Cherry Glow top and headstock
Antique natural back
High gloss nitro

I went with White MOP outlines and gold MOP centers on the inlays. This could change when I get to the factory. This is one area that I am going to ask for their input on when I am there. This is the most likely thing that could change when I visit them.

My thoughts is that this guitar could make a few of my PRS guitars go on the block. I did the trem because I think this guitar could make me sell my DGT. I have a couple with Brazilian rosewood boards that this will be a nod to. My 594 is one of my most played guitars. I also think this is going to make it similar to the new Studio I bought last fall. The color is a nod to the first PRS I bought that has a dark cherry sunburst finish. The private stock finish looks way better and should look awesome on a one piece quilt. I did the one piece quilt to make it similar to the Suhr I had built in 2015. My two custom builds will have the one piece top. I can see my SC Trem possibly going after I get this guitar as well.

The dealer that is helping make this become a reality is Jack Gretz at Northeast Music Center. I can't say enough good things about how he has handled this whole thing. I am more than happy that I called him. He moved very fast on this when he found out that I had a miss with another dealer. From the time I called him to the time we submitted the specs was literally two business days. I was in the other situation for over 2 weeks and hadn't made it to this point. I still had a few unanswered questions and Jack answered most of them on the first call. I was down to two questions and he got the answers back on those within two days and we submitted the specs. Everything was finalized and approved and the deposit was paid within a week of the first call. I couldn't be happier and am very excited for this to happen now.

McCarty 594 double cut
Trem bridge
One piece quild top
African mahogany back
Figured mahogany neck
20th anniversary birds

Standard nut
Hybrid hardware
Amber lampshade knobs
Antique natural back
High gloss nitro

I went with White MOP outlines and gold MOP centers on the inlays. This could change when I get to the factory. This is one area that I am going to ask for their input on when I am there. This is the most likely thing that could change when I visit them.

My thoughts is that this guitar could make a few of my PRS guitars go on the block. I did the trem because I think this guitar could make me sell my DGT. I have a couple with Brazilian rosewood boards that this will be a nod to. My 594 is one of my most played guitars. I also think this is going to make it similar to the new Studio I bought last fall. The color is a nod to the first PRS I bought that has a dark cherry sunburst finish. The private stock finish looks way better and should look awesome on a one piece quilt. I did the one piece quilt to make it similar to the Suhr I had built in 2015. My two custom builds will have the one piece top. I can see my SC Trem possibly going after I get this guitar as well.

The dealer that is helping make this become a reality is Jack Gretz at Northeast Music Center. I can't say enough good things about how he has handled this whole thing. I am more than happy that I called him. He moved very fast on this when he found out that I had a miss with another dealer. From the time I called him to the time we submitted the specs was literally two business days. I was in the other situation for over 2 weeks and hadn't made it to this point. I still had a few unanswered questions and Jack answered most of them on the first call. I was down to two questions and he got the answers back on those within two days and we submitted the specs. Everything was finalized and approved and the deposit was paid within a week of the first call. I couldn't be happier and am very excited for this to happen now.
Sounds like a great build! I’d love a 594 Trem, but I compromised to a P245 Trem in order to get the piezo - I was going for my own version of a Lifeson LP at the time and it’s been #1 ever since. From what I understand, Jack is a terrific luthier in his own right so that probably helps quite a bit when discussing specs with him. He’s certainly had several killer WL and PS builds over the years!

Sounds like a great build! I’d love a 594 Trem, but I compromised to a P245 Trem in order to get the piezo - I was going for my own version of a Lifeson LP at the time and it’s been #1 ever since. From what I understand, Jack is a terrific luthier in his own right so that probably helps quite a bit when discussing specs with him. He’s certainly had several killer WL and PS builds over the years!
I love the piezo equipped PRS guitars. If I could have fit a piezo in this build, I probably would have done that too. I didn't even ask because I don't know where they would find room for the controls for it with the 594 control layout. I have a P22 and P22 Trem. Mine are both double cuts. I play mostly double cut guitars but have some single cuts as well.

I love the piezo equipped PRS guitars. If I could have fit a piezo in this build, I probably would have done that too. I didn't even ask because I don't know where they would find room for the controls for it with the 594 control layout. I have a P22 and P22 Trem. Mine are both double cuts. I play mostly double cut guitars but have some single cuts as well.
I have a P22 as well and that played a role in my decision to add the piezo. I like blending the sounds for more tonal options.

It has a pattern regular neck carve which I’ve struggled with as I age. Thought about selling it but love the tone as this has a Pernie neck.
77193-B05-DBEC-4433-9601-C4-FA71-E47133.jpg

McCarty 594 double cut
Trem bridge
One piece quild top
African mahogany back
Figured mahogany neck
20th anniversary birds

Standard nut
Hybrid hardware
Amber lampshade knobs
Antique natural back
High gloss nitro

Awesome!
I bought my last guitar from Mr. Gretz. I can confirm he is a pleasure to do business with.

I have a P22 as well and that played a role in my decision to add the piezo. I like blending the sounds for more tonal options.

It has a pattern regular neck carve which I’ve struggled with as I age. Thought about selling it but love the tone as this has a Pernie neck.
77193-B05-DBEC-4433-9601-C4-FA71-E47133.jpg
My stop tail P22 is a 2012 Experience guitar. It is one of the ones in this article below. Mine is the Livingston Lemon Drop finish. My P22 Trem and this one both have the Pattern Regular neck carves. It is the one thing I would change on both of them. I would much rather have the Pattern neck carve on them.

I actually was debating on keeping the Pattern Vintage neck carve on the PS or going with a Pattern. The Studio I bought in the fall was really making that a hard decision. The neck on that guitar just feel perfect to me. I figured that having the wood binding instead of plastic is going to make the PS neck feel closer to the Pattern neck on my Studio. I don't hate the neck on my 594 by any means. It is one of my most played guitars.

Yours looks freaking killer.

Back