My guitar volume&tone spin very easily

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Run Mayo, Jan 15, 2018.

  1. Run Mayo

    Run Mayo New Member

    Jan 15, 2018
    Likes Received:

    I just bought a second hand PRS Custom 24 and the volume&tone spin very easily
    is there something to to without replace it?

  2. Dirty_Boogie

    Dirty_Boogie Still got the ol' tagger on it

    Oct 28, 2017
    Likes Received:
    Some companies (EVH) charge big money for volume pots that spin with very little resistance. Some people prefer that feel.

    You might try taking the pots out (no need to de-solder them) and using a pair of pliers, gently squeeze down on the tabs that hold the pot body in place - that might tighten things up - like this:

    If that doesn't work, you can simply replace them with the common CTS pots, which have a smoother and "slower" feel to them - available at any music store or online.

    If you do replace them (you will need basic soldering skills) make sure that you check the values on each of the pots, the type (audio-taper or linear - sometimes designated as A or B) and the length of the shaft (how long the part is that the volume/tone knob slides on to) and replace with the same. It's not a difficult process, but if you don't feel comfortable doing this, take it to a guitar shop.
    #2 Dirty_Boogie, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    dogrocketp and grausch like this.
  3. LSchefman

    LSchefman Hears Tones

    Apr 26, 2012
    Likes Received:
    They’re supposed to spin easily. That way they can be adjusted with the pinky finger, etc., while playing.

    Some players use a felt bushing under the knob if they want slower rotation. Pretty simple fix that requires no mechanical change to the pot.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice