my amazing son

I received this random text from my 25 (then 24) yo daughter last year...

"Dad, I could listen to nothing but the Beatles for the rest of my life..."

My youngest daughter asked for a Beatles violin songbook for her birthday when she was 9...

On both occasions, I shed a tear...

We jam together and we ride motorcycles together. Sometimes we have ice cream for breakfast but above all else I teach him to be respectful.

One more thing, I tell him I love him every day. I also told him that I tell him these things because when I'm gone he will know exactly how I feel about him. He'll never have to wonder.

You sound like a great dad! My dad died WAY too young from Pancreatic Cancer. I can take solace in the fact that I never have to worry about how he felt about me or if I had made him proud. He ALWAYS told me. I don't think you can say them too much.

The REAL reason you are a great dad is Ice Cream for breakfast!!! You rule.....

I still tell my kids I love them and they're all adults.

I'm not sure if it helps them at this stage of life, or not, but it helps me. ;)

Even if they don't always seem to appreciate it now, they WILL. There was never a time or place where I met up with my dad that he didn't give me a hug and a kiss and let me know he loved me. Every time until the day he passed (when I was 34) I feel like an idiot for the times when it felt embarassing. I am so thankful.

My youngest daughter asked for a Beatles violin songbook for her birthday when she was 9...

That is really sad... but they're young so maybe they'll grow out of it. :tongue:

My son Jamie (definitely a Beatles fan, sorry Serg) and I share the Beatles thing. Turns out he got invited to a dinner party hosted by Sir Paul and Ringo the night of the Grammys last year, and had a conversation with Paul about songwriting and performing.

He said it was one of the most interesting experiences he'd ever had. Also that he was so nervous his knees were shaking.

Jamie's met a lot of folks in the biz in the course of his career over the last few years, but that's the first time I've heard him say he was truly nervous. I'm pretty sure I would be, too. Also I nearly fell on the floor when he told me about this little adventure.

The fun part was that he was so excited that he called me at about 3 AM Michigan time to tell me about it. And he told the story in such a funny way, I cracked up. It's good for fathers and sons/daughters to share things.

Last edited:
My children, two boys and a girl...ten, eight, and six...have all loaded Weird Al Yankovic and They Might Be Giants on their iPods. The ten year old, who turns 11 at the end of this month, has also loaded Flogging Molly and The Beatles. I'm happy.

My kid is into dubstep:bawling:,
........but at least she a knows couple rock tunes and a few old skool funkjams. I'll take what I can get.;)

That's awesome! Great song. I was on a huge Stevie kick a couple months back.

My son is now 22, and has played brass instruments since the age of 10. He played in the University of Oregon marching band and concert bands for the past 4 years (OK - he is in year 5 of a 4 year plan - another story for another time). He likes all types of music (contemporary, 70's classic rock, jazz, classical). One of his favorite bands is Acoustic Alchemy. When I asked him why he did not want to learn how to play the guitar, his answer was simple "because you play it"....

Back