My all time musical genius is...

DreamTheaterRules

I'm sailing!
Yes, you already know this as I've said it many times. And, there is a lot of "showmanship" here and not a ton of his real genius playing, but you certainly see enough here to get the idea. Seeing him live cemented his place in my mind as THE all time musical genius. I present to you, Mr. Keith Emerson

Miles Davis
- The most unique and refined phrasing of any Jazz musician.
- Changed the face of Jazz music at least twice (Post Bop/modal, Fusion), maybe even three times.
- Influenced so many artists, Jazz or other genres, including myself.

Last edited:
Separating genius from performance makes it interesting.

Front runners for me include:
John Lennon: huge catalogue, wide range of style, lyrically insightful and thought provoking.
David Bowie: always moving in new directions.
Zappa: duh

Gun to my head, this minute: Lennon
If you haven't watched the Peter Jackson doc, "Get Back", you should

Separating genius from performance makes it interesting.
Totally agree. That is actually why I pointed out that this particular video is more "showman" stuff than his real genius. Listen to the first 45 minutes of "Welcome Back My Friends..." live triple album, and... WOW. I almost need a shower and a cigarette after listening to that!

I like everyone who's been listed, but...if you want to know the greatest of all time, it's this J.S. Bach fellow. Revolutionized harmonic changes, counterpoint, melody as a composer, and was also one of the greatest players in history.

Last edited:
Yes, you already know this as I've said it many times. And, there is a lot of "showmanship" here and not a ton of his real genius playing, but you certainly see enough here to get the idea. Seeing him live cemented his place in my mind as THE all time musical genius. I present to you, Mr. Keith Emerson

He really could do it all. I’m a huge fan; saw ELP six or seven times back in the day. Three unbelievable musicians. Classical, jazz, prog, straight rock. Sad ending.

“The world’s most famous synthesizer!”

BoS1uD5.jpg

Last edited:
Back