Middle ground between the Custom 24 and 594?

ESW

I have a 35th Anniversary Custom 24, and a 594 with a rosewood neck. I find the Custom 24 much easier to play, but I generally prefer the sound of the 594. Is there anything that plays more like the Custom 24, but sounds more like a 594? I'm particularly wondering about the regular McCarty and the DGT.

What exactly do you like more about the custom 24? Scale length? Neck carve? Neck position due to the 24 frets?

I have a 35th Anniversary Custom 24, and a 594 with a rosewood neck. I find the Custom 24 much easier to play, but I generally prefer the sound of the 594. Is there anything that plays more like the Custom 24, but sounds more like a 594? I'm particularly wondering about the regular McCarty and the DGT.

Try a Custom 22 and maybe swap the pups for something a bit more vintage sounding. The Cu22 is a lot like a Cu24 - albeit with a slightly thicker neck and the 22 frets allow for more traditional HB separation similar to a 594. You could also go for a McCarty if you don't want/need a trem and like a slightly thicker body....

What exactly do you like more about the custom 24? Scale length? Neck carve? Neck position due to the 24 frets?

It's some combination of the neck carve and scale length. The neck is just really comfortable. I feel like I have to work harder to play the 594, and the CU24 is just effortless.

What neck carve is the custom 24? Wide fat, wide thin, pattern etc

Do you need a trem or not?

I'm sure they'll be something out there. DGT, special semi hollow, McCarty, etc

What neck carve is the custom 24? Wide fat, wide thin, pattern etc

Do you need a trem or not?

I'm sure they'll be something out there. DGT, special semi hollow, McCarty, etc
This.

CU24s can have a variety of neck carves. The 35th anniv CU24 offers either choice of Pattern Regular or Pattern Thin, according to the website, and I wouldn't be surprised if well-connected dealers could swing something else.

Sorry, I should have specified. My CU24 is Pattern Thin. I can definitely live without a trem.

If you are comfortable with doing it, swap the pickups in the two guitars and see if they are the key to the tone you want in a guitar you already know you like the feeling of.

If you are comfortable with doing it, swap the pickups in the two guitars and see if they are the key to the tone you want in a guitar you already know you like the feeling of.

I've thought about it, but I'd rather not risk it. They're immaculate guitars, and I'm kind of a hack with a soldering iron.

Imagine...

Introducing the new limited PRS 594 modern series! The 594 body we all have grown to love but now with modern steam! Special 85/15 TCI tuned pickups adorn the 594M for a hotter setup. We added a Ebony FB for this limited run.....(you can imagine the rest)

Edit: This has triggered me with the sudden urge to look up SC250s
Edit II: Ok now I bought a SC250.

Last edited:
Tremonti? SC shape, 25" scale, pattern thin (wide thin) neck. Comes with trem or stoptail.

Imagine...

Introducing the new limited PRS 594 modern series! The 594 body we all have grown to love but now with modern steam! Special 85/15 TCI tuned pickups adorn the 594M for a hotter setup. We added a Ebony FB for this limited run.....(you can imagine the rest)

Edit: This has triggered me with the sudden urge to look up SC250s
Edit II: Ok now I bought a SC250.
Good for you! That's how it works with me a lot of the time...

I am THE CU24 guy and I have owned and played plenty of the other models. I still own an SC.

For ME, I agree nothing plays like a CU24. So you want it to sound different - get the pups that can get you close. Yes, the are differences that make it impossible to sound the same. No it will not be exactly what you want sound wise, BUT playablility is key!! You will be a better player and it will inspire you to be more creative.

I tried a few different pups and have found my favs. Spend the money and experiment.

I am THE CU24 guy and I have owned and played plenty of the other models.

Ok, so you're definitely the guy to ask! Do you find either the DGT or regular McCarty more 'playable' than the 594? I'm happier with the longer scale length, I think.

Look for a four conductor 57/08 neck pickup, I feel they kinda “fix” what’s wrong with 24 fret neck pickups sound wise.

Otherwise my advice is always: Santana, specifically a West Street Limited.
Completely agree with this! I had a 57/08 loaded Cu24 that was fantastic. And, I can't say enough about the Santana models. My West St Limiteds will be the last 2 that leave, if that day ever happens.

Ok, so you're definitely the guy to ask! Do you find either the DGT or regular McCarty more 'playable' than the 594? I'm happier with the longer scale length, I think.

The DGT and McCarty are similar as the DGT was a spin off of the Mc. The scale length of the 594 is soooo close I am fine with it - but not a 245 or 25 1/4.

As Sergio said the 5708 in many cases fixes things. I have one in the neck of my #1. I also have a 5708 LTD with 08's in both spots.

Back