Mark kNopfler Live In Liverpool Gig Review. (Pic Heavy!)

Mikegarveyblues

Cream Crackered
Ok... Unfortunately this review starts off a little negative. It does end on a happy note though! :)

Woke up on Sunday feeling pretty rough. We hadn't had much sleep, perhaps four hours at most because of the neighbours. Although I was looking forward to it, I found myself wishing the gig was on another day as all I wanted to do was go to bed. The plan had been to travel into Liverpool early and hang out by the docks and then grab some dinner before the gig. Because of the lack of sleep and grey skies we decided to head out with just enough time to grab food before the gig. Thankfully the sun came out a little later and with the aid of some caffeine I was more in the mood!

We got to the arena car park and the weather had improved even more, so after grabbing some food at a restaurant on the Albert Dock we hung out for a few minutes near the arena and grabbed some rays... And a few photos....

SAM_0245.JPG

There was no support act so we got in there about 15 minutes before show time, grabbing a beer before finding our seats. We had a good spot a few rows from the front with a clear view to the stage. Looking around I was surprised to see quite a lot of empty seats. The mood also seemed quite muted.

The band arrived on stage about 15 minutes past the advertised time and people where still trickling in. Mark asked if we where alright and when the response was surprisingly muted he jokingly asked "Are you sure you're alright?" I was expecting everyone to be up on their feet cheering when they came on stage and yet it was if people had been expecting someone else.

What It Is
Corned Beef City

Knopfler kicked off with a couple of cracking songs. Red Strat slung on his shoulders, this was classic Knopfler from the start. The muted response and lower than expected crowd was in my mind still. I looked around and saw people still arriving. It looked like it would be pretty much a full house in the end. I came to realise Liverpool had been playing not long before so many may have been stuck in traffic, at the game or watching it. Maybe it was that Sunday feeling? It didn't seem to affect the band as they ripped through the two tunes.

SAM_0261.JPG

SAM_0267.JPG

Privateering
Father & Son
Hill Farmer's Blues

Things really picked up with Privateering. One of my favourite tracks from the new album along with Redbud Tree and Kingdom Of Gold (Which he didn't perform). This band is one of the finest I've ever heard. I won't go through the names but each one was a musician of the highest order. Something I also noticed was just how good the mix was. Arenas aren't the best for music sometimes, but every note was crystal clear.

SAM_0282.JPG

SAM_0289.JPG

Seattle
I Used To Could

Seattle... Another of my favourite tunes. Wonderfully dreamy, it was a joy just to lean back in the chair and soak up Marks Voice on this! The crowd was also finding it's feet and where clearly fully enjoying the show now. If they weren't then they would with the next tunes...

SAM_0292.JPG

SAM_0302.JPG

SAM_0309.JPG

SAM_0313.JPG

Part II to follow:

Romeo & Juliet
Sultans Of Swing

Time for a couple of classic Dire Straits tunes! As soon as Mark walked onto the stage with the iconic National Style O we knew what song he'd be performing. always loved that song so to hear it live was one of the highlights among many. Sulatans of course had people tapping and a clapping! the band had the crowd in their palms now. This was the show I'd hoped for!

SAM_0317.JPG

SAM_0324.JPG

SAM_0330.JPG

SAM_0342.JPG

Gator Blood
Haul Away
Postcards From Paraguay
Marbletown
Speedway At Nazareth

Fully absorbed by the show now! The quality of the playing was not letting up. Mark is the perfect gentleman and team player. Every member got a chance to shine. It may have been his name on the ticket but on stage it was about the band as a whole and not just the man at the front. It was also clear to see the band truly enjoyed playing together. Lots of smiles and jokes. Mark also seemed to be comfortable engaging with the audience and letting us in on the jokes.

SAM_0354.JPG

SAM_0362.JPG

SAM_0363.JPG

SAM_0370.JPG

SAM_0375.JPG

SAM_0389.JPG

Part III To Follow:

Last edited:
Telegraph Road
So far Away
Going Home (Theme From Local Hero

And so we reached the final leg of the concert. Telegraph Road was the highlight of the show for me. Just an amazing performance by the band. Mark's playing on this tune was (If you'll excuse all the clichés) jaw dropping! The final two songs where the encore and the band had instructed the security to allow people to head to the front. This did unfortunately mean the guy sat next to us and his daughter bolted past us knocking both our drinks over and standing on my girlfriends foot! Still, we where enjoying the show so we just raised our eyebrows and forgot about it.

The show finished on a high, although \I suspect more than a few (Including myself) where expecting Brothers In Arms. It wasn't to be but never mind. We'd been treated to some of the finest musicianship you will see and hear. Off home we went having thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!!!

SAM_0410.JPG

SAM_0416.JPG

SAM_0426.JPG

SAM_0430.JPG

SAM_0434.JPG

SAM_0436.JPG

SAM_0445.JPG

SAM_0448.JPG

A+ review and pictures! Thanks Mike. I'm glad it all turned out well for you.

Lloyd

Nice job, Mike!

I don't know what it is with crowds arriving so routinely late these days. We recently went to a comedy show. The opener came on 15 minutes later than posted. The headliner came on about 30 minutes later - 45 minutes after the posted start time. There were still people arriving. I don't get it.

I shouldn't say "these days" - I saw Steven Wright 25+ years ago, and so many people came in late, he finally said, "What do your tickets say, 'one hour later'?"

Thanks for Sharing that Mike. :biggrin:

Brother's in Arms is one of my "Desert Island" albums. I spent a summer listing to it and Dr. Ruth's Radio show on a long drive home every weekend from the Drop Zone I was working at....

That's an amazing array of Guitars - The DC 59 was a surprise! I thought that was just a Jimmy Page thing! ;)

Nice job, Mike!

I don't know what it is with crowds arriving so routinely late these days. We recently went to a comedy show. The opener came on 15 minutes later than posted. The headliner came on about 30 minutes later - 45 minutes after the posted start time. There were still people arriving. I don't get it.

I shouldn't say "these days" - I saw Steven Wright 25+ years ago, and so many people came in late, he finally said, "What do your tickets say, 'one hour later'?"

:)

The one thing I hate more is people who spend the day drinking beforehand and then turn up piffed. Seems strange to pay for a ticket to something you're too drunk to watch and too drunk to remember!

Thanks for Sharing that Mike. :biggrin:

Brother's in Arms is one of my "Desert Island" albums. I spent a summer listing to it and Dr. Ruth's Radio show on a long drive home every weekend from the Drop Zone I was working at....

That's an amazing array of Guitars - The DC 59 was a surprise! I thought that was just a Jimmy Page thing! ;)

I was surprised too! Expected the National, Strat and LP and the Pensa MK2 but not the Dano.

I'd say the Strat had most of the action on the night.. Perhaps half the show.

Love to see a PRS in his hands one day!!!

:)

The one thing I hate more is people who spend the day drinking beforehand and then turn up piffed. Seems strange to pay for a ticket to something you're too drunk to watch and too drunk to remember!

That's something my buddy was saying even 30 years ago. The first show we went to see together was the Who in 1982. We parked in the upper lot at the arena and were walking through the lower lot when we saw a group of guys who were partying pretty hard. Two of them were urinating in the lot - not horribly shocking, but they weren't hiding it, and they were both facing uphill towards the upper lot and angled slightly toward each other, making a sort of V shape. As we came through to the row they were in, we saw what they were doing - they were merging their streams. Uphill of their buddy who was passed out on the ground between two cars, and letting it run back down on him.

Years later, I'd be reminded of that when Sam Kinison did a bit about what jerks friends can be when you drink too much. "'Remember last night, how you were so drunk you p!ssed in your suitcase?' No, no I don't. But thanks for letting me do that, buddy!"

Cheers guys!

Just ordered the USB concert stick (Shaped like the red Strat) from this show.

I think this is the first time I've seen one of my top guitar heroes... Still hoping to see Gilmour but that's looking less likely each day. Sadly it'll never happen with Gary Moore. Still kicking myself with that as I had the chance a couple of times.

BTW... Has the font changed for this site? Could be my PC but it seems a little harder to read...? :dontknow:

Mike- thank you SO much for taking the time to share all of this with us, and so well!! I feel like I was there!! Great thread man; thank you! :)

Back