Luthier Recommendation? Neck reshaping.

edhamgtr

Love PRS HB's - hate the neck carve.
I keep buying them only to sell them off eventually just due to neck shape/size.

Ordering private stock just to get my preferred neck carve makes zero financial sense (25+ years of making a living playing sessions).
So I'm onto buying used and having a luthier reshape the neck for me but as my fav luthier (that I've used forever) has retired, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend their favorite luthier for this?

Appreciate your input.

thanks!

Location doesn't matter to me. Shipping is not a problem.
Finding a genius luthier that's dependable (I tour a lot so having a relationship where I can ship and get quick turnaround is key) matter most.

I respect the talent and skill set required for top level work.

The man, the myth, the legend.....

Out of curiosity as a Luthier , what about the neck shape bothers you? Is your current HB mahogany /rosewood or something special?
What shape / feel are you going for ? What finish do you want the end result to have ? Gloss, Satin , Natural or Color matched ?

.800-.880 C is my preferred. (all my Suhr session Strats have this neck shape).
'61 335 carve is even better but likely too thin for most modern necks (truss rod depth).
Finish as close to raw wood feeling as possible. Sealed old is fine. Satin. Don't care about color matching.
make sense?

thanks!

The Pattern neck used on the HBII's .875 (7/8) at the 1st and .953 (61/64) at the 12th which per your desired is 1/16" off ideal ...
https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/neck_profiles

It is always enlightening how small differences make it work . When I dyed my Special's flame maple Pattern neck I did about that much , I enjoyed it . An afternoon with some 320 grit and you could shape it to your dream .. Stewmac Nitro sanding sealer and you are a happy camper after a light buff.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.
You clearly have a talent that I lack!
Its not possible to imagine how inept I would be at doing that. (I've never successfully cut two pieces of wood the same length no matter how many time I measure).

But its tempting .......

While it may seem daunting , it's just wood and lacquer . The nice thing about 320 grit is it doesn't take much off . You just cut a piece that fits the neck , and gently remove the excess in long gentle passes . every 10 or so , check it . The benefit is you can make it "played in " softening the contours to match YOUR hand . You can practice on a scrap 2x4 although pine is a bit softer than mahogany.

Totally appreciate the nudge in attempting this!
Makes total sense.
I'm going to pick up a couple cheap necks off ebay to practice on.
I'll post back with pics of what I can only assume will be a few awesome failures - but maybe I get the hang of it.
thanks for your posts.

Always a pleasure , RELAX , take it slow , all will be great . While a skilled luthier may do it quicker , unless you are there with him or can check progress easily , you very well could end up with a better result.

I work with my clients very closely on ergonmics , frequently test fitting to thier body nuances ( hand size, tummy cut, leg arch etc. ) all subtle , but really the difference between stock and custom. My ideal is to have the instrument " melt away , and become part of you" . Or as Carlos would say ( about PRS's) There are no restrictions or excuses in the instrument.

Back