What do y'all recommend (Gibson SG and LP guy, ABB/DTB sound)

Amp I use is a Fender Blues DeVille, which is a mid 90's re-issue of a 60's Fender Bassman, with an added overdrive channel. 60watt, 6L6 tubes, 4X10. Amp sounds incredible, I have plugged it into a Marshall 4X12 cabinet, which was a tad better. The only pedal I have ever used is a Marshall Blues Breaker, which I really only ever used to get a little breakup at lower volumes. Otherwise, I plug straight in (not a fan of effects, and yes I know Houser used tons of them). Yes, amp selection is HUGE. The only amp I've ever played that I liked better was a Mesa/Boogie. Don't care for Marshalls, don't care for Soldano's. Yes, I know.....sacrilege.

I've got pretty big hands or at least fingers, so the slightly longer scale length is probably a help. Honestly, having played them (unplugged), the thing I notice is the strings, since I use 11's, and bend them a lot. Which of course adds to the difference in sound, but also makes it hard to get a feel for playability.

If I haven't said this, I really appreciate everyone's input. From searches on a specific model, I was wondering if most folks would come back and recommend the same thing (Mira). Interesting seeing the diversity in responses (of course, my ambiguous posts contributed).

but they newer than most of the music I listen to).

Ahh....newer.. schmewer, you can get plenty of vintage sounds out of these things.

I understand if the spots near you don't carry much stock, some members here take road trips to big PRS stocking dealers. It would be a cool trip for you & your guitar interested kids, or if there's a nice restaurant in that town to take the wife...................I'm just coming up with possibilities & solutions for you baby.:cool:

I know these have been suggested before, but here are the models I think would be good to do further research on or try out if you can find a way:

594 (SC or DC)*
Mira (especially the Core version)
Pre-594 McCarty models
Vela
P22
P245

I also think most other models would work for you, but if you want to narrow it down I'd probably focus on those.

*Our friend MA Pete alone has put a number of nice DC 594s on the used market simply because he keeps trying different ones, and I'm sure he's not alone so it might be something to watch for.

Well.....I may have found one. Will be out of town next weekend, so I did a CL search in that town. There's a 2001 Singlecut a guy is trying to sell. Has Dragon 2's. Ask is $1100 firm, will sell w/o pickups for $950. I could get that, put in some 4 wire 57's, and split them. Aside from the minor (okay, major) fact that I won't be able to play a whole lot of them, I just can't see any reason to not grab this. My preferred shape, a color I dig, and I can put in the pickups I'd like. I'd rather have a 2 piece tail stop, but this seems like a whole lotta guitar for the money. Here's teh description and a pic:

HISTORY
This is a US Made PRS singlecut, pre lawsuit in Whale Blue. Vintage Klusen style tuners. I bought this used, and the owner failed to disclose that he put Gibson 490Ts in it. I pulled those out and installed PRS Dragon IIs. The stock pickups that originally came with it are 7s, but the Dragons are a much better pickup IMO. They are about 12K in the bridge, midrangy. Unique voicing and these would sound great with coil splitting (never got around to it). Dragons are not for everyone, so I can pull them out and offer the guitar for $950 with no pickups if you wish. I may still have the black pickup ring covers and will let you have those if I do.

CONDITION
For a guitar that is 14 years old, it's in pretty good shape. It's not mint. It has been played but not heavily gigged, but is great condition for a "player." There are a couple faint finish dings on top and neck, but they are so small that I can't photograph them. You have to look hard in the right light to find them. Frets have plenty of life. You could probably get the action super low with a fret level. Case is included, and has typical signs of wear. No case candy.

01111_2guGY9SEs7l_1200x900.jpg

I'd do that deal. $950 for an unloaded SC is great. I'd personally go with #7's back in it but your right, you can do the single coil split with others.

It looks like you're on the right track! To add my $.02 worth, while reading your original post, I kept saying to myself, " this guy needs a DGT". Finger player (I do a lot of that too), 11s, vintage (it's a 20 year project evolving PRS' McCarty model with David Grissom...quintessential vintage), responsive electronics (made for a single channel amp), NOT 10 lbs. like most LPs, and not too tough on the eyes. The suggestion of a Mira is solid as the SG-like alternative, but I really like the Vela, too.

You have to get out of those 490/498 pickups. Yuck! I know this is subjective, but IMO those pups hold the instrument back. I play with another guitarist that plays a '90s The Paul with 498s and he has evolved his entire rig around those pickups. When he bought an ES-335, he had to re-EQ everything. Tough to bounce between guitars in a set. But his gear selections have allowed me to use my favorites and still maintain a unique sonic footprint in our mix.

Research the DGT even though you have a line on a cheap SC. That SC can also be a sweet slide guitar! There's always room for a DGT. ;) Good luck bud!

I just ordered some SD 59's (4 wire) which I'm going to do right away........along with a steel tricone resonator, and re-evaluate before picking up a PRS. Been wanting a reso forever, and the right one turned up on reverb.

So yes, I'm changing pickups, first. Kept waffling b/t 57's (Gibson), the SD 59's, and mini's. Ended up going with 59's.

That single cut you're looking at would be a good match for your style I think. The price is reasonable. I have Gibson SGs and Les Pauls and a couple of PRS Custom 24s. I also have used the Dragon II pups and like them for their brighter and balsy tones. You could get it with them and sell the pups if you don't like them. Plenty of folks would like them.

As far as your Lester goes, try 50's wiring and some SD Alnico II pups. It will open up a bunch with less mud. Oops, I see you're getting 59s. Not a bad choice either. They have a bit more bite and a tighter attack. I'd still try the 50's wiring. It makes a big difference when rolling down either the tone or volume.

If you're going for the shape & feel of an SG or LP, you'd maybe want to look at Santana's, 245's & SC's including the new 594 McCarty SC. As for tone, that's really subjective, but my understanding is the 594 McCarty are about as close as you can get to either. Keep in mind the SG is an all mahogany body set neck so any of the standards will get you close, including the SE series. Ebay may be your best option if there are no stockists nearby, but there are plenty of PRS reviews out there, both on the PRS site, & Youtube. Look at as many reviews as you can, then look at them again, & don't forget the comparison reviews.
Whatever the case, what guitar you like is an intangible subjective thing; it's not really something you can qualify or quantify, but you'll know it when you get there.

Back