Looking for a guitar for metal-ish sounds

The Holcomb is killer - if you like 'modern' 20" radius fretboards. It's the flattest thing I've played, and the only reason I sold it.

I've used Les Pauls and PRS singlecuts for metal for years. With the occasional floyd guitar jumping in here and there. I think you already have the guitars...what about the amp? To get good metal tones the amp is a huge player in the game.

For metal the Holcomb and Tremonti models usually come up first in discussions. My personal preference would be a CU24.

Wisdom. All are great guitars, you can’t go wrong. I recommend just picking the one with the features that speak to you.

FWIW, I play most of my heavy stuff on an SE CU24 tuned down a whole step, and an Akesson SE in standard. I’m not a huge fan of maple necks, and many of the SE’s have them, but I will say that they’re excellent for retaining clarity on heavier sounds, especially when playing in lower tunings.

I just bought an EVH Frankie Relic... Collecting tomorrow.

5107900503_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Man, the Frankie is so good. I was dubious with it being a MIM, but it's stellar. Surprisingly big comfy neck too, and sounds huge. Not sure I'd play it out, but then I never play out, so not an issue. :)

Speaking of relics. I have one of these. Great guitar. I've already modded it to add the 3 way toggle, solderless wiring, and a super distortion/air norton single combo. Both in cream.

2966035555_gtr_frtangleright_01_rr.png

Back