Looking for a guitar for metal-ish sounds

horax

Hey everybody,
I am looking for a humbucker equipped guitar that's good for metal and harder music in general.
Right now I have:
Les Paul Trad Pro V
Silver Sky
two Taylor acoustics
Partscaster Tele
Bullet Mustang (process of being sold right now)

I've never looked for anything like this before as I'm more into blues and ZZ Top type stuff, but I'm starting to be intruigued with the thought of playing something different.

I'm not wanting to spend over 900.00 for a new guitar, so your help is needed!

I'm looking at Schecter, Chapman, Ibanez, and maybe PRS.

What would you suggest in the PRS range that might fit the bill?

The SE Tremonti was the first that came to mind. Maybe even a SE Custom or Standard 24, or a SE Custom or Standard 245 (LP-like), maybe even a Bernie Marsden (Vintage LP-like).

They don't make them anymore but my Torero is perfect for that. It's probably one of their most unPRS models. It has an ebony fretboard with 14" radius neck though design with a floyd and EMGs. It really is an awesome all around guitar, but it's what I decided to go with when I was looking for something similar to you.

My SE 30th floyd is a killer guitar that would suit your needs too. Mine is modded as far as you can go and wouldn't trade it for the world.

I agree you can achieve what your after with what you own or lots of guitars, but I also get wanting another!!! Good luck!

Screenshot_20210108-152455_Gallery73660e6ca79cb4b2.jpg

Last edited:
The SE Tremonti was the first that came to mind. Maybe even a SE Custom or Standard 24, or a SE Custom or Standard 245 (LP-like), maybe even a Bernie Marsden (Vintage LP-like).

I second all the above choices especially the Bernie Marsden and the Tremonti, also I'd add the Nick Catanese SE, Marty Friedman SE. All of these do hard rock/metal exceptionally well.If you can afford to go second hand then there are some real bargains cores to be found, the older CE-24 and CU-24 featured the HFS & Vintage bass pickups - these are killer for what your looking for. Like you I play various styles of music from Robert Johnson era acoustic blues through to detuned hard rock/heavy metal and find that my prsi get me there 99.5% of the time.

Some of my hard rock/metal SE's
51251367528_ac496a113a_b.jpg

From left to right =
Top Row = Tremonti All mahogany
Middle Row = Bernie Marsden, Chris Robertson, Tremonti LE (EMG's Ebony Fingerboard), Nick Catanese (EMG's Ebony Fingerboard)
Bottom Row = Santana/Custom 22 Hybrid, Marty Friedman
The Friedman and the Tremonti's have moved (to my sons band) and I acquired another Bernie

My current Cores
50461647162_4705848eb7_b.jpg

From left to right =
2006 CE-24 all mahogany body
2001 Standard 22
2001 McCarty
2015 McCarty

The 2 McCarty's tend to be used for classic rock, Hard rock & blues. the other handle all the heavy and detuned stuff. only the 2015 cost over £900 -$1200, the others were all under that price range.

Last edited:
Can't really argue w/the suggestions above, but I'll add one to the list - if you can swing it, getting a used guitar in whatever body format you prefer and swapping in a pair of \m/ pickups may get you exactly where you want to be. The nice thing with these pups is they're not a one-trick pony as the name might suggest - they clean up very well, and they're pretty versatile.

Can't really argue w/the suggestions above, but I'll add one to the list - if you can swing it, getting a used guitar in whatever body format you prefer and swapping in a pair of \m/ pickups may get you exactly where you want to be. The nice thing with these pups is they're not a one-trick pony as the name might suggest - they clean up very well, and they're pretty versatile.
Great suggestion. \m/ pickups are outstanding

I'll throw in the DW tomahawks too. Fantastic pickup that will get you where you want to go. I debated long and hard between these and the \m/. I'm extremely happy with the DWs, they sound amazing in an SE Cu24. Only problem is I dig them so much h I find myself looking at a DW CE more than I should.

I love the \m/ pickups in my Swamp Ash Special. They are super versatile and when you turn up the gain they are incredible.

FWIW, I play a lot of modern metal and have gotten the best results from my PRS CU24 (Drop C), PRS Tremonti 26.5" Semi-Baritone (C standard), and my Strandberg 7 (B standard) and 8 string guitars (F# standard).

To me, my McCarty's, semi-hollows, archtops, and single-coil guitars tend to sound better for other styles of music.

If I could only have one to cover the widest range of metal-type sounds, it would be the CU24.

Get a used standard of whatever model suits you and put some \m/ pickups in it. For me a McCarty standard with \m/ pickups, an adjustable stoptail, heavy gauge strings tuned to drop C kills. I could see a standard 24 for something a little more sleek.

Little known fact, guitars have to be pointy to be good for metal.

I recommend looking into Solar Guitars. Unless you hate Swedes and burping. In that case, stay away from them.

Back