Let's talk about Scotch, man!

How did I miss this thread? It's about my national past-time..... :)

I'm an all over drinker of Whisky. I have preferences in speyside and some Islay whiskies.

The speyside are much lighter, little sweeter to me. The first one I ever truly enjoyed (it took me till I was 21 or 22 to really "get" whisky) was the aberlour 10 yr.

Where speysides really won me over were the Aberlour special the a'bunadh (pronounced aboon-a just in case). If you can find it, it's worth investigation. It costs about £40 ($60ish?) but maybe you get hammered for more with import costs etc.

Another speyside I love is the glenfarclas. Very different to the aberlour but tasty as hell.

Oh, and The balvenie double wood. Can be a bit different bottle to bottle (they make small batches at a time and they switch barrells alot too so there is alot of variability), but when it's good, it's amazing!

Another - the benromach is a speyside with a little bit. Special look out for the benromach peat smoke if you like some of the more northerly whiskies.

My #1 islay is a bruichladdich (think brew-phlem forming sound - laddi - phlem sound again in case you want to try and pronounce it). I'm not a peaty whisky drinker really, but there are some that toe the line of speyside and highland/island whiskies like the highland park and ardbeg.

Also a Lagvulan is right up there, I had the wonderful nip one evening. I was about 6 in however, so my memory was going....

I guess one final like from me is the laphroaig quarter cask. It's got the flavour of its big brother, but a lot less of the peat taste that makes me feel like i'm chewing my whisky haha! Little sweeter too because of the quarter sized casks it's matured in.

Oh and if you're not drinking your whisky (no ice, a couple drops of water is maybe acceptable in some cases), along side a pint of Ale (my preference is Deuchars IPA, but any good ale will do), you're doing it wrong.....

If you're ever in Edinburgh, let me know. My favourite place to go is the Bow Bar in Victoria street. Here's an old picture of the back wall of the bar:

bar.jpg

As someone who stayed in Oban for 7 years, worked on Islay and lives back in campbeltown I am almost ashamed to say that I have hardly tried our most famous export. I have a few bottles around the house but I haven't drank since my better half got pregnant and the wee man is 4 months old now!

Maybe I need to break one open in a quiet moment and relax

Monks make this:

3-verres+6-bouteilles-copy.jpg

... which along with a good single malt is the nectar of the gods, so whatever it is you guys are talking about can't be that bad.

How did I miss this thread? It's about my national past-time..... :)

I'm an all over drinker of Whisky. I have preferences in speyside and some Islay whiskies.

The speyside are much lighter, little sweeter to me. The first one I ever truly enjoyed (it took me till I was 21 or 22 to really "get" whisky) was the aberlour 10 yr.

Where speysides really won me over were the Aberlour special the a'bunadh (pronounced aboon-a just in case). If you can find it, it's worth investigation. It costs about £40 ($60ish?) but maybe you get hammered for more with import costs etc.
I currently have a bottle of the A'bunadh. At 60% alc it's my strongest malt. Very enjoyable even though I tend to prefer smoke and peat.

Another speyside I love is the glenfarclas. Very different to the aberlour but tasty as hell.
Heard great things about Glenfarclas and have had my eye out for a good bottle but they don't carry them much around me.

Oh, and The balvenie double wood. Can be a bit different bottle to bottle (they make small batches at a time and they switch barrells alot too so there is alot of variability), but when it's good, it's amazing!
My brother had the double wood at his wedding and it was really tasty!

Another - the benromach is a speyside with a little bit. Special look out for the benromach peat smoke if you like some of the more northerly whiskies.
Never heard of this one. I'll keep my eye out. Great info here! Thanks!

My #1 islay is a bruichladdich (think brew-phlem forming sound - laddi - phlem sound again in case you want to try and pronounce it). I'm not a peaty whisky drinker really, but there are some that toe the line of speyside and highland/island whiskies like the highland park and ardbeg.
I have the 18 in my cabinet and it's awesome! Very enjoyable. I prefer it over HP but have to say that I think Ardbeg may be my favorite of all... or Laphroiag.

Also a Lagvulan is right up there, I had the wonderful nip one evening. I was about 6 in however, so my memory was going....
I'd agree. I've tried the 12 and the 16 and both are stellar.

I guess one final like from me is the laphroaig quarter cask. It's got the flavour of its big brother, but a lot less of the peat taste that makes me feel like i'm chewing my whisky haha! Little sweeter too because of the quarter sized casks it's matured in.
This is definitely my current favorite go-to. Smokey sugar water! Excellent price point.

Oh and if you're not drinking your whisky (no ice, a couple drops of water is maybe acceptable in some cases), along side a pint of Ale (my preference is Deuchars IPA, but any good ale will do), you're doing it wrong.....
Glad I'm doin it right! Lol, the only time I drink it without some type of beer is if I'm out of beer in the house. I'll keep an eye out for Deuchars. Being in Cali I have access to quite a few IPA's but must confess that most are too big for my taste. I prefer a well balanced Pale.

If you're ever in Edinburgh, let me know. My favourite place to go is the Bow Bar in Victoria street. Here's an old picture of the back wall of the bar:

bar.jpg
Now that's a proper looking bar! One of these days I'll make it to Scotland. Cheers! :cheers: :beer:

Last edited:
One Sherry that's remarkable is:
Abelour A'bunadh (60% alc/vol and wicked smooth at that! I don't put water in this one which is pretty unusual for such a high alcohol content... oh and usually I've had a couple before I get to this one.)

+1! I actually like all of the varietals of Aberlour that I've tried, but their A'bunadh is out of this world! Truly a winner.

Back