Les Paul equivalent

Callawave

Hi all.
I'm looking for something to fill a gap in my collection. I need an similar tone and
preferably similar shape to a Les Paul.
I've just come across the 2018 Chris Robertson SE and it looks like it might fit the bill. The coil and switch setup looks pretty appealing.
If I could find a PRS with the addition of a whammy bar and the look and tone of a Les Paul, I'd be in heaven.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Regards from a newby

Just picked up a Tremonti...absolutely love that guitar! But, the pickups are pretty hot, which is great for me, but doesn't sound too much like my Les Paul.

The SC 594 is going to get you closest to that sound you're looking for. If that's not in the budget, I'd look long and hard at the Bernie Marsden SE.

The SC 594 is going to get you closest to that sound you're looking for. If that's not in the budget, I'd look long and hard at the Bernie Marsden SE.
Thank you for the pointers. The 594 though beautiful and I'm sure I'd love to own, sadly it's way, way, way out of my price range, the Bernie Marsden is up there with the new Chris Robertson for consideration.
What are the chances of finding a dealer near me with both in stock to give them a try. Thanks and keep 'em coming.

Thank you for the pointers. The 594 though beautiful and I'm sure I'd love to own, sadly it's way, way, way out of my price range, the Bernie Marsden is up there with the new Chris Robertson for consideration.
What are the chances of finding a dealer near me with both in stock to give them a try. Thanks and keep 'em coming.

I'm not sure where you're located. If you're in the US, you're going to have to look for a used Bernie. They pop up on Reverb/eBay at reasonable prices, and in good shape, from time to time. If you're in Europe, you would be in luck. The limited run of new Bernies was a Europe only run.

Yeah, the SC Trem is great and inexpensive on the open market. The USA VB pickup works stellar in them IMNHO

34972441030_94e8ac9366_c.jpg

The closest sounding to my Les Paul is the SC594, followed by my Marsden (not pictured).

If you're trying to compare a Floyd equipped LP to a PRS equivalent, the SC Trem is closer than my Tremonti.
Feel wise, the SC Trem neck is a bit thinner but not as thin as my Tremonti. Both are thinner than LPs.
Just realize your trying to compare different aspects of guitars so everything isn't apples to apples... fixed bridge vs trem and PRS vs LP.

I put US Mira Pickups in an SE Tremonti Custom that weighs a ton, and takes names and kicks arse! Pretty close to the LP I hated for 24 years. 57/08's would get it closer.

I put US Mira Pickups in an SE Tremonti Custom that weighs a ton, and takes names and kicks arse! Pretty close to the LP I hated for 24 years. 57/08's would get it closer.
My Les Paul got 57/08's last weekend. They do seem to work well in that body style. I'm much happier with that guitar now.. although I do have a PRS singlecut sized hole in my little collection :)

I'm not a big fan of the LP. I much prefer my PRS singlecuts. Much better quality, playability, tone and looks. I have 24.5 and 25" scales. Can't wait for my 594 to come in. Should be soon.

I'd recommend an SE 245 if you're on a budget.

I'm not a big fan of the LP. I much prefer my PRS singlecuts. Much better quality, playability, tone and looks. I have 24.5 and 25" scales. Can't wait for my 594 to come in. Should be soon.

I'd recommend an SE 245 if you're on a budget.

It’s fairly obvious I’m a big fan of PRS. No company makes a consistently great guitar from top to bottom like PRS. However, R9 Les Pauls (custom shop), especially from 2013 on are consistently great as well.

I agree the SE 245 is a real bargain.

You’re speaking my language.

245s (As in LP scale length).
WOW! That's a lovely collection. I'm very envious
Thank you all for your ideas. I now have a lot of research to do. I now have my heart set on choosing my first PRS instrument.
I'm in the UK so the choices may not be as varied as yours in the States
Cheers all✌

Last edited:
Back