Kid Charlemagne - My LLB Top Ten #3

Great song, with one of the all time great Larry Carlton solos. Nice PRS Studio there on rhythm too. LLB does some really nice covers of tunes that are hard to do right.

Thanks so much for checking this out! I really like Jim’s PRS and he does too it’s a versatile guitar for sure.

Wow, very smooth! That sounds as good as I have ever heard SD do it, including seeing them live a few times. Great work and I especially like your vocalists leanings on that song. Much more emotional than I have ever heard Donal Fagan sing it! Of course, great job on the PRS and Tele's as well. Whole band nailed it IMO!

Longest standing ovation I ever saw was at a Steely Dan concert. After playing "Deacon Blues", the crowd stood and applauded for literall 3 to 4 minutes. Donald did not know what to do. He just kept hangin' his head and said thank you every 20 seconds or so. Incredible band and y'all are certainly doing their music justice! Thanks for sharing!!!

MW

Thanks for the kind words, sincerely appreciated. Great story about DB..amazing tune.

Great share as always Dale!

Love that solo with the hammer on at the end.

Wow, very smooth! That sounds as good as I have ever heard SD do it, including seeing them live a few times. Great work and I especially like your vocalists leanings on that song. Much more emotional than I have ever heard Donal Fagan sing it! Of course, great job on the PRS and Tele's as well. Whole band nailed it IMO!

Longest standing ovation I ever saw was at a Steely Dan concert. After playing "Deacon Blues", the crowd stood and applauded for literall 3 to 4 minutes. Donald did not know what to do. He just kept hangin' his head and said thank you every 20 seconds or so. Incredible band and y'all are certainly doing their music justice! Thanks for sharing!!!

MW

I don’t know if there’s any truth to this, or even where I heard/read it, but Fagen was/is supposedly a very nervous singer and in the early years would pull in other vocalist for live performances.

There’s something still haunting about this vocal style for me.

Great share as always Dale!

Love that solo with the hammer on at the end.

I don’t know if there’s any truth to this, or even where I heard/read it, but Fagen was/is supposedly a very nervous singer and in the early years would pull in other vocalist for live performances.

There’s something still haunting about this vocal style for me.

Last edited:
The skill and talent on display in these videos is impressive. In my mind I'm just gonna tell myself, "Yeah, it sounds great. But, it took 56 takes to get it down."

Haha..to be honest this took a lot of work for me - I don’t just play this stuff, some prob do, I have to be super intentional to even get close.

You nailed it. I think a lot of people don't give enough credit to the hard work the really good musicians put into their craft. Yeah, EVH was talented, but he also put in megahours of work to hone his skills. I would bet same goes for just about all the guitar legends.

You nailed it. I think a lot of people don't give enough credit to the hard work the really good musicians put into their craft. Yeah, EVH was talented, but he also put in megahours of work to hone his skills. I would bet same goes for just about all the guitar legends.

Thank you, and I 100% agree with you 100%. Raw ability is one thing, taking the effort to push it to it's limits is another.

I love Steely Dan and this is an excellent cover of KC. Don't know if Larry Carlton ever played PRS but he would certainly rock with one.

Thanks for checking this out! It would be cool to know if Mr 335 likes or has played PRS guitars. I'm with you in that there is no doubt he'd make whatever he put in his hands sing.

Thanks for checking this out! It would be cool to know if Mr 335 likes or has played PRS guitars. I'm with you in that there is no doubt he'd make whatever he put in his hands sing.
It would be nice to see Larry on a PRS, but I’ve never seen him on anything other than those 60s era 335s, and a few other 50s and 60s Gibsons and Fenders. I think he dabbled in the Valley Arts guitars when Lukather was also playing them. But we can always hope Mr 335 will one day be Mr 594 (Hollowbody II)… :)

Im with you; he’d make it sing!

Back