John Bohlinger PRS SE DGT Demo and Review

The single coil sounds from that guitar are outstanding!

I thought his old David Grissom had a little more presence or treble or sizzle.

I like John's reviews, but he seems to like everything he reviews. Maybe he only reviews things he already knows he likes.

His gear rundowns are really good too. I really enjoyed his gear rundown with Brent Mason, probably Nashville's #1 session player.

Last edited:
I saw where I'd mentioned this a few years ago in another thread that popped up recently, but when a publication produces all positive reviews, it kind of raises questions, at least in my mind. I saw where someone connected to Guitar Player said they got a lot of products in, and while they admitted that the vast majority of their reviews were very positive, they felt it was better to spend their time and their readers' times on the good products. The problem I have with that is that it raises another question - if you don't review the latest Pedaltron Awesomator 2000, is it because you didn't get one, you didn't like it, or something else?

When someone reviews a product, I tend to believe their sincerity. It wouldn't serve a publication or author good to give say a pedal gave the smoothest, most wonderful sounding distortion tone ever imagined if in reality it sounded like the Fart Pedal (a real product). And you can't review everything. And most of us can appreciate that various people have different tastes and needs. But I'd rather see the occasional bad or so-so review.

I don't know that I've ever seen a review where the reviewer says "this thing sucks". I'd like to though, and I share your view that it would be more helpful to see a less than glowing review.

My other big beef is with guitarists who endorse EVERYTHING. There's a couple guitarists that come to mind, it seems like some magazines will have the same artist endorsing multiple items in one publication and I'm like "yeah, they gave that stuff to you didn't they?"

I don't know that I've ever seen a review where the reviewer says "this thing sucks". I'd like to though, and I share your view that it would be more helpful to see a less than glowing review.

My other big beef is with guitarists who endorse EVERYTHING. There's a couple guitarists that come to mind, it seems like some magazines will have the same artist endorsing multiple items in one publication and I'm like "yeah, they gave that stuff to you didn't they?"
i used to not believe some endorsers even used all of the gear -- not like pedals, full rigs -- but there's a forum where guys have rooms of big amps that they bought with money.

i used to not believe some endorsers even used all of the gear -- not like pedals, full rigs -- but there's a forum where guys have rooms of big amps that they bought with money.
I don't think that's the case here tho. David Grissom really does play and gig with a DGT.

Dunno if he'll gig with the SE DGT tho! Kinda doubt it. But who knows?

I don't think that's the case here tho. David Grissom really does play and gig with a DGT.

David just put up a pic of him at his gig last night where he stated it was the SE all night …!!!

David actually played the DGT SE on his entire gig tonight in Austin. He probably won't play the SE on every gig but I'm certain he will use it. He doesn't endorse a lot of things (check his website for his gear) but he does actually use the things he endorses.

Back