Is this PRS S2 legit or fake?

Sudzinsky

I'm considering the PRS S2 off of Reverb but am just cautious because of how easy it is to get a fake Chinese PRS. I've been talking with the guy and he sounds pretty straight forward, he has given me a picture with the full serial #, and he mentioned that he is the 2nd owner. The picture on the listing with the description that mentions the DiMarzio pups and extra p/p pot installed at the factory was from the original owner that he had bought it from.
So my questions are, do people order custom s2's from the factory with aftermarket pickups and different pot setups? Is this a real s2?

https://reverb.com/item/1882286-paul-reed-smith-custom-22-s2-2015-elephant-gret

I'm smelling a fake, or a dishonest write up at least. There's no way PRS is doing customizing to the S2 line. That product line is set up for FAST production - cookie cutter builds.

I'm ok with it being an aftermarket setup, since I typically change pickups and electronics on guitars anyway(granted I've mostly only bought imports previously).
I assume if it is a real S2, that the mods were probably done by a PRS authorized dealer not the factory itself, giving him the benefit of the doubt that is. That's where my caution kicks in though. Regardless of the electronics though, as long as the guitar itself is real, then I'm good. Just don't want to pay that much for a piece of plywood or whatever the fakes are coming in these days.

Is that a decent price for that model / year and condition?
I just checked CL and there are 3 S2 Cu24's currently being offered just like this one but no mods. $850, $950, $900.

I just checked CL and there are 3 S2 Cu24's currently being offered just like this one but no mods. $850, $950, $900.

Hmm, that's good to know. Would you mind passing me the links to those? I appreciate the info!

I did just receive a response from PRS Customer Service regarding my inquiry on the serial #
"Thanks for contacting PRS Guitars.
From the serial number # 15S2015310 this guitar appears to be a 2015 S2 Custom 24 with bird inlays finished in Gray Black."

No mention about the pickups but so long as they can confirm the serial number is accurate to the guitar, then I'm good with that. Hopefully I can get him to come down in price a little bit now.

So, am I the only one who's never heard of the color "Elephant Gret"?

Is it Gray? Grey? Great? Colored like an Egret?

Please remember the forum rules.. We`re not supposed to discuss prices. I`m betting those are aftermarket modifications on a legit guitar.

Guitar looks legit, aftermarket mods were most likely done by the dealer. There are some dealers that let you customize the pickups and electronics when you order and they do the mods in house before they ship or customer picks up.

Looks legit, mods done by who knows who, but if it's a reputable shop it all at least works well.

That being said, I've seen stock S2's go for much better prices. Unless you want THOSE mods, I would pass.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
I do really like the aged nickel cover look on that guitar. I'm indifferent about the pickups since I haven't heard them in person before. I figure if I got a stock used one for a couple hundred less, I'd spend a couple hundred on pickups with aged nickel covers anyway.
I suppose I could just buy nickel covers and put them on the stock pickups but I'd prefer not to go that route.

You can just get the covers from Philadelphia Luthiers....about 20 bucks and easy as pie to install!

You can just get the covers from Philadelphia Luthiers....about 20 bucks and easy as pie to install!

That's the one thing I haven't ever done before. I've just seen so many problems with squealing and other issues when just dropping covers on top of bare pickups.

Back