Is the PRS SE Acoustic line worth it?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
Hi y'all, I am currently conflicted between future new gear. I am torn between two PRS products, the PRS SE T55 with the abaco green back and sides that are quilted maple. My next consideration is the PRS MT15 amp. Primarilly, I am an electric guitar player but I have an acoustic.

I mainly want the SE because it's a beautiful guitar, the quilted maple back and sides and the abalone inlays and purfling just draw me to it. It just looks great.

However, in the department of amps for me is not very good. I have been playing for three years and I have an orange crush 20. It's fine, but the MT15 rips. I've played through it and it just sounds so tight and full. I am also 15 years old and I have been playing for 3 years and I want my first tube amp.

The acoustic would be a great addition to my collection, but a new amp could really propel my playing for guitar.

If anyone has anyone of these or both and what you like and dislike about them, please tell me!

Since you already have an acoustic, get the amp.
You’ve got lots of years to upgrade your acoustic.
I mean you are not wrong. I just don't want it to get away! I don't want to wait too long and then they become hard to find and more expensive, but the amp is being made all the time. Does it sound like I am just going for looks over tone? I have played the model once, I think, and it sounded fairly good. I'm just very torn, because I don't want to have a solid state amp and have bad tone, but the acoustic just look's crazy pretty.

I mean you are not wrong. I just don't want it to get away! I don't want to wait too long and then they become hard to find and more expensive, but the amp is being made all the time. Does it sound like I am just going for looks over tone? I have played the model once, I think, and it sounded fairly good. I'm just very torn, because I don't want to have a solid state amp and have bad tone, but the acoustic just look's crazy pretty.
That guitar might be gone, but I guarantee there will be even better looking guitars in your future. There are always nicer guitars.

An electric guitar sound is highly dependent on the amp. Getting an amp that lets you sound like you want to sound will give you a huge step forward as a player.

That guitar might be gone, but I guarantee there will be even better looking guitars in your future. There are always nicer guitars.

An electric guitar sound is highly dependent on the amp. Getting an amp that lets you sound like you want to sound will give you a huge step forward as a player.
I do like the sound of that amp though. I think my parent's wouldn't want to spend close to two thousand dollars in a year on an amp and guitar. I could buy stuff in chunks, I just need to get a summer job that pays well.

I do like the sound of that amp though. I think my parent's wouldn't want to spend close to two thousand dollars in a year on an amp and guitar. I could buy stuff in chunks, I just need to get a summer job that pays well.
As a parent, I would much rather buy my child something they will use a lot than something that is pretty but gets limited use.

As a parent, I would much rather buy my child something they will use a lot than something that is pretty but gets limited use.
Well I use my acoustic very often, due to the fact that I love finger style classical music and acoustic guitar in general. But I mainly play electric all the time. I feel like a new amp would help me personally, but I don't want to blow out window's with a cranked tube amp.

Well I use my acoustic very often, due to the fact that I love finger style classical music and acoustic guitar in general. But I mainly play electric all the time. I feel like a new amp would help me personally, but I don't want to blow out window's with a cranked tube amp.
You don’t have to blow windows. I had a 100W amp while I was I high school and everyone survived. That was before things like attenuators or cab clones that let you play into headphones.

You don’t have to blow windows. I had a 100W amp while I was I high school and everyone survived. That was before things like attenuators or cab clones that let you play into headphones.
I mean I could get an attenuator too, but 7 watt's would be fine for bedroom playing

Amp. Amp. Amp. And, amp. ;)

A great amp is the keystone component to your sound and will lift up even a meh guitar. Yes, you should have a PRS as the guitar, for playability reasons alone, but a flexible amp and matching cab are crucial to developing your craft. That choice depends on your music preferences...post up more info and maybe we can offer suggestions on a proper amp fitting?

From what I understand, it’s a loud 7 watts.
I mean, it sounds monsterous anyway, one of the guys who works with the amps said it could take him maybe half an hour to convert it to a 50 watt amp.

Amp. Amp. Amp. And, amp. ;)

A great amp is the keystone component to your sound and will lift up even a meh guitar. Yes, you should have a PRS as the guitar, for playability reasons alone, but a flexible amp and matching cab are crucial to developing your craft. That choice depends on your music preferences...post up more info and maybe we can offer suggestions on a proper amp fitting?
Well I already have an SE Custom 24 in spalted maple with a vintage sunburst. What info exactly should I post for suggestions? My music taste is enormous, I love everything from Slayer to meshuggah to dave bruebeck and miles davis.
The rig!

From amp to guitar:

Orange crush 20 -------------- Boss RC1 looper-------- Donner golden tremolo----- MXR phase 90 ----- Donner yellow fall delay ----- Donner tutti chorus ----- Boss Mega distortion 2 (for my chug and djenty tones) ------ Dunlop Crybaby wah ----- TC Electronic Dark matter distortion --------------------- PRS SE Custom 24 in vintage sunburst (from the exotic wood run, I have the spalted maple veneer) and overall, I like it, I can get everything from mac demarco warbles to warm jazz licks to steve vai goodness and to dimebag squeal's.

Overall, It's fairly versatile, but with the orange amp's in general, excluding amp's for Jim root, they don't have the tightness of a 6505 or dual rec or JCM 800, it's more floppy and raw. It's at most meh for classic rock tone's but you need the crush at like max volume to get a good tone out of it. But I just use the clean channel and run a distortion through it.

Amps I have seriously considered:

• 6505 MH (the mini one)
  • Orange Micro dark terror (tube/solid state head that's well in my price range)
  • The orange stomp amp (amp in a pedal sort of deal, you can run a cab through it and it has an FX loop and everything)
  • Questioning buying a helix or something similar, not too familiar with stuff like that
  • PRS MT15, it's very good but the volume is what I worried about

If you could offer any advice for me, that would be great.

Get the amp! As someone a lot like you, I LOVE my amps. I had great acoustics but hardly played them (916ce, K24ce, Hd28) i'm just drawn to my electrics. Even when I'm in a acoustic mood I'll fire up an electric in cleans.

I can say...having a good amp breathes new life into your guitar enjoyment...trust me the better tone will have you enjoying practice at another level!

Amps: Check out the ENGL ironball as well. Costs a little more..but that thing rips. Helix is something you gotta try out to see if you like...I personally don't like playing through a computer...but there are many who do.

Advice: Youtube videos are not real life, they can be used for directional guidance but If its possible go play on different amps.

Advice 2: when you get to a store play on different amps. Whether you are considering them or not play on them and try to pick at the differences between them. Write a little series of riffs that lets you feel how the amp responds and breaths. You'll learn a lot about what is good for you personally in a amp.

Get the amp! As someone a lot like you, I LOVE my amps. I had great acoustics but hardly played them (916ce, K24ce, Hd28) i'm just drawn to my electrics. Even when I'm in a acoustic mood I'll fire up an electric in cleans.

I can say...having a good amp breathes new life into your guitar enjoyment...trust me the better tone will have you enjoying practice at another level!

Amps: Check out the ENGL ironball as well. Costs a little more..but that thing rips. Helix is something you gotta try out to see if you like...I personally don't like playing through a computer...but there are many who do.

Advice: Youtube videos are not real life, they can be used for directional guidance but If its possible go play on different amps.

Advice 2: when you get to a store play on different amps. Whether you are considering them or not play on them and try to pick at the differences between them. Write a little series of riffs that lets you feel how the amp responds and breaths. You'll learn a lot about what is good for you personally in a amp.
I mean I think my max would be 1000 cause the amp is 729 and the cab is 300 or 400. I definitely do have some riff's I play when testing stuff out tho.

I have no idea what you should buy, but I like that you're only 15, you've got a broad range of influences, you're into getting the tone you like, and you're willing to get a summer job to get what you need.

I fondly remember being 15. Well, sorta. ;)

Well I already have an SE Custom 24 in spalted maple with a vintage sunburst. What info exactly should I post for suggestions? My music taste is enormous, I love everything from Slayer to meshuggah to dave bruebeck and miles davis.
The rig!

From amp to guitar:

Orange crush 20 -------------- Boss RC1 looper-------- Donner golden tremolo----- MXR phase 90 ----- Donner yellow fall delay ----- Donner tutti chorus ----- Boss Mega distortion 2 (for my chug and djenty tones) ------ Dunlop Crybaby wah ----- TC Electronic Dark matter distortion --------------------- PRS SE Custom 24 in vintage sunburst (from the exotic wood run, I have the spalted maple veneer) and overall, I like it, I can get everything from mac demarco warbles to warm jazz licks to steve vai goodness and to dimebag squeal's.

Overall, It's fairly versatile, but with the orange amp's in general, excluding amp's for Jim root, they don't have the tightness of a 6505 or dual rec or JCM 800, it's more floppy and raw. It's at most meh for classic rock tone's but you need the crush at like max volume to get a good tone out of it. But I just use the clean channel and run a distortion through it.

Amps I have seriously considered:

• 6505 MH (the mini one)
  • Orange Micro dark terror (tube/solid state head that's well in my price range)
  • The orange stomp amp (amp in a pedal sort of deal, you can run a cab through it and it has an FX loop and everything)
  • Questioning buying a helix or something similar, not too familiar with stuff like that
  • PRS MT15, it's very good but the volume is what I worried about

If you could offer any advice for me, that would be great.

There were tube amps around when I started to get into them 15-ish years ago, but nothing like the MT15.

Not all, but most tube amps under a grand and under 20 watts are really just a toy, because they skimp on important things like transformers, tubes, and other features. The MT15 comes with respectable tubes, not the top shelf stuff, but very reliable and good quality. With some other amps, you'd have to shell out close to $100+ to get tubes like the MT15 has. The transformer thing, you can't fix afterwards, and that has a lot to do with the low end authority of the tone.

I guess if I could sum up what the MT15 would do for you, as a 15 year old guitarist, is give you an amp that will have the tone, volume, and reliability to serve you for a long time. You can use it for a lot more than hard rock and metal, the clean channel is very good and takes pedals extremely well, so even if you want to get a Marshall in a box pedal, or some lower gain overdrive, you'll have a good platform for it. The other amps you listed are compromises and toy-like, IMO. The Helix, on the other hand, is a great tool, just depends on whether you want an amp for the volume, or a multi-effects board for the versatility.

Now, whether that's worth more to you than a good acoustic, only you can answer that question. The SE acoustics are fantastic too, and they have many models with different woods, and different tones as a result. Just depends on what you'll use most.

One path that might be good, get the MT15 and matching cab, and then save up for something like the Helix Stomp. Again, being a bit older than you, there was nothing like the Helix units when I was your age - there were multi-effects units, but they were a joke. The Helix units are legitimate contenders, at least in the realm of stompbox type effects, save yourself some money and a lot of pedalboard building!

Back