PRS Angelus models

Greywolf

Luthier and Sound Sensei
While I love my 5 PRS electrics , I've been a Taylor Acoustic guy for the last 30 years and Koa is my favorite wood ( I have 3 KOA Taylors) .
As my 68th birthday is coming up I thought I'd look for something different and special . I've never played a PRS acoustic , this one say it has PRS pickup system . Don't know anything about the electronics

For those members that have actually played one ( NOT an SE) I'd love to hear your impressions , they maded me a good offer , . If the feedback is good I'll likely snag it

2013 PRS Artist Package Angelus Cutaway with an Adirondack Spruce top and Koa back and sides,mahogany neck with a Wide neck profile, ebony fingerboard with purfling and outline bird inlays, ebony bridge and a curly maple rosette. PRS pickup system installed. I checked a new one and it was $4500 more than the offer ...( PS though)
rrutejtgoxcc9bliar5p.jpg
r4qwdi4nneeljsybe6s6.jpg

Last edited:
I would personally have to go for the first one (Koa) on aesthetics alone. I like the wood better, I like the rosette better but either way, the decision would have to be after playing it. I have only played SE PRS acoustics and they did not do it for me. Played the A40, A50 and A60. Then again, I did not like the tone or feel from the Taylor's I have played either (all US models including builders series Koa models), so obviously I am not in your space on what I want from an acoustic! Best of luck whatever you get and happy 68!!!

I would personally have to go for the first one (Koa) on aesthetics alone. I like the wood better, I like the rosette better but either way, the decision would have to be after playing it. I have only played SE PRS acoustics and they did not do it for me. Played the A40, A50 and A60. Then again, I did not like the tone or feel from the Taylor's I have played either (all US models including builders series Koa models), so obviously I am not in your space on what I want from an acoustic! Best of luck whatever you get and happy 68!!!
The PS and Artist models are in a completely different league from the SEs, as nice as I think the SEs are for the money. Worlds apart.

Same coin ...A brazilian back and sides Martin Simpson with a K&K is another choice I'd never thought If I got a PS it would be an acoustic.. while holy grail tonewood , this set isn't particilarly stunning
ydetbqwdf4beccheuwfy.jpg

zacfpt4cxamkvq1v4vkb.jpg

e6y0i32azphdjka4jcny.jpg
While I have a PS Tonare Grand, which is a bit deeper without a cutaway, I really also like the Martin Simpson. The guitars ring like a bell. Will it float your boat, as it does mine?

Who knows?

We're all different. I'd always pick rosewood or cocobolo over koa. I think the rosewood variants ring out and sustain longer, but I don't buy them for looks.

My Tonare Grand was ordered in maple, because I wanted something to cut through a dense mix. It sounds great, but if I was playing mostly solo acoustic, I'd probably choose rosewood, so I'd pick the BRW model.

For context. I've had (and loved) a 40 series Martin, a 900 series Taylor, several 800s, a couple of Collings, and various other brands. However, when I played the first PRS acoustic I bought (a cocobolo/Adirondack Artist model), I was floored.

My son, who has produced and played on major label records and whose opinion I respect a great deal, has called my PRS acoustics the best acoustic guitars he's ever heard, and has dibs on mine when I'm too old (or too dead) to play it.

The first time he heard the maple one, he said it was like a grand piano, looked at his Taylor, and put it back in the case.

I'd agree. The PRS USA acoustics are stellar.

But take my opinion with a grain of salt. I claim no particular expertise in this stuff.

Here’s a shot of my Tonare Grand.

I love a good J200, and Collings SJs in maple that are similar, but they’re no competition compared to this one.

Again for context, if you're familiar with the Collings SJ and the J200,you will probably find that the Collings has more overtones than the J200, with similar solidity in the fundamental tones, and better sustain than the J200 (I think longer sustain is better). This Tonare has more of everything - better projection, the solidity of the Collings, with more overtones than the Collings and WAY more than a J200.

The top on this one is Adirondack with maple back and sides. I ordered it with a carbon fiber truss rod. I've had it 9.5 years, and it's never needed adjustment. I can leave it in the case for a week, come back, and the tuning is still pretty close to perfect.

As stated, it's pretty but I don't buy them for looks, tone comes first because my livelihood is involved. I've used this on a lot of national ads. It's paid its way in spades.

YMMV the usual disclaimers apply.

3mVz6f7.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks for the insight, for Acoustics especially TONE is always king. That being said if it comes down to two similar models ... pretty is going to win. I still have a month to search , which in the end is a big part of the fun

Many thanks for the insight, for Acoustics especially TONE is always king. That being said if it comes down to two similar models ... pretty is going to win. I still have a month to search , which in the end is a big part of the fun
There are plenty of beautiful guitars that sound great out in the world, I'm sure whatever the brand and model, you'll find something suitable!

I have a PS Angelus and a Collection Tonare.

The Angelus has an Adirondack top, and has good tone, but I feel it’s space is a bit specialized. It isn’t one of my top three acoustics.
The Tonare is pernambuco and rings like church bells.
The Angelus is newer and has two controls for the electronics. I do like the controls tucked away in the sound hole.

Both play a lot like Taylors do.

Of the guitars you mentioned, the Tony McManus is the package I like best. I played it a couple of times. By the looks of the back, it could well have been the one you are looking at.

Les provided a very nice write up. I agree with him on his with choices with Taylor‘s and Martin‘s and his change to PRS private stock. For context I used to play out solo with a Martin D 41, a Taylor 712, Taylor 12 string 800 series 1970s D 35. I only kept the 1992 Taylor 712 Indian Rosewood body cedar top, and I have a different Taylor 12-string now. I don’t remember the model number (in the closet right now).

I only play PRS acoustics now, one private stock Steve Fisher 2010 Angelus cutaway, Adirondack, Spruce, top, Cocobolo back and sides. Absolutely the most incredible tones. I like Guitars with Rosewood back and sides, but don’t forget the PRS acoustic‘s are hard braced on back wood so the back doesn’t vibrate as much, only the top. So the projection sound is a bit different than what you would get for my Martin and a Taylor. Cocobolo provided me with a really nice tone coupled with this Adirondack spruce top, but I would say more throaty what you would get from a Martin or Taylor, same goes for my 2013 Tonare Grand…. My main acoustic guitar. I actually preferred the mahogany back and sides. It was more mellow than the Rosewood version. Both Guitars has so many overtones, and I can only describe them as a acoustic guitars with the overtones of a piano. I would like to someday get one with a Maple back and sides for the reasons Les describes. Keep in mind I played a one-man acoustic show, so I preferred a well rounded tone with a lot of overtones not something that just cuts to the mix with the band.

aMyakXB.jpg

IKGJB6m.jpg

6VAHNjT.jpg

Uz2Gu4F.jpg

Some photos of the Tonare Grand, not the latest though … it’s in rougher shape now but built like a tank! Lot’s of solo shows.

aPbpXqy.jpg

tYR4zkp.jpg

UEQElVG.jpg

Thanks for insight , the McManus so far in my fave , it's worth the stretch. The shop is a half day drive up near Asheville, (good excuse for a road trip in the Porsche) If I go up I save $700 and test it out ... seems like a lovely idea. here's the clip of it

Last edited:
The PS and Artist models are in a completely different league from the SEs, as nice as I think the SEs are for the money. Worlds apart.
I would hope so! I do like the sound of that McManus that Greywolf posted above! I look forward to playing a US made PRS acoustic at some point, it just has not yet presented itself to me thus far ;~))

I would hope so! I do like the sound of that McManus that Greywolf posted above!
It's a good recording. The guitars do sound like that. Even my maple Tonare is remarkably similar-sounding, the differences are in the details, there's strong family resemblance.

You can also hear the guitar on 'Mysterious Boundaries', Tony McManus' recent album. It's an excellent album and a great example of how the guitar sounds in a studio setting. It's really good.

Back