PRS Angelus models

OMG .. I think I may have died and gone to heaven .. built for Ricky Skaggs ... it is just TOO special to pass up , so I pulled the trigger , Got it for $315 off asking .same price as the McManus I was looking at ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY Greywolf!!!

Specifications​

Product Year: 2010
Model: Tonare Grand
Serial #: A100410
Body Type: Large, Grand Auditorium
Back & Sides Wood: Pernambuco
Top Wood: Spruce - Adirondack (Red)
Neck Wood: Pernambuco
Neck Profile: C
Bridge: Pernambuco
Rosette: Pernambuco
Top Trim: MOP
Fingerboard: Pernambuco
Fingerboard Bindings: Pernambuco
Fret Markers: MOP Doves
Frets to Body: 14
Headplate: Pernambuco
Headstock Bindings: Pernambuco
Headstock Inlay: MOP
Instrument Finish: Gloss
Body Bindings: Pernambuco
Tuners: PRS
Tuner Finish: Gold with Ivoroid buttons
Cutaway: None
Pickguard: Clear
Pickup: PRS
Pickup (y/n): Yes
Body Length: 20.25 in
Upper Bout: 11.75 in
Lower Bout: 16 in
Body Depth Heel: 4.125 in
Body Depth Tail: 4.875 in
Scale Length: 25.25 in
Scale Length (mm): 641 mm
Nut Width: 1.69 in
Nut Width (mm): 43 mm
String Spacing: 2.125 in
String Spacing (mm): 54 mm
Instrument Weight Pounds & Ounces: 5 lb. 13 oz.
Case: Original - Ameritage
productImage
2010-prs-tonare-grand-pernambuco-adirondack-spruce-a100410-2.jpg

2010-prs-tonare-grand-pernambuco-adirondack-spruce-a100410-9.jpg
You hit the Mother Lode with that one! Wow!

Happy Birthday, indeed!

Well she arrived safe and sound and after some cleanup and polishing , fresh strings and batteries she's ready to rock . Tone ... VERY bright and LOUD and DEEP. To my ear a blend of Koa and Maple quite pleased . The pictures don't do it justice , there are slight green traces in the orange .. very cool

Last edited:
Well she arrived safe and sound and after some cleanup and polishing , fresh strings and batteries she's ready to rock . Tone ... VERY bright and LOUD and DEEP. To my ear a blend of Koa and Maple quite pleased . The pictures don't do it justice , there are slight green traces in the orange .. very cool
Sounds exciting!! Congrats.

After many hours of playing I realized a comment from my best buddy may be more accurate than he thought .. He said .. "you'regoing to put all your other acoustics away after this one" ... Just jammin along with a cd last night I was suprised , I don't really need to plug in .. it's that loud!

It is SO satsifying to play , I won't be plugging in too much for quite a while . The nasty side scratch buffed right out with some Luthier's fine polishing compound , looks great for 13 years old. The action is very low and easy , the lack of a truss rod doesn't bother me , switching down to Open G and back causes no issues and it stays in tune better than any of my other PRS's. the only down side is ..now I'm contemplaiting an Angelus

After many hours of playing I realized a comment from my best buddy may be more accurate than he thought .. He said .. "you'regoing to put all your other acoustics away after this one" ... Just jammin along with a cd last night I was suprised , I don't really need to plug in .. it's that loud!

It is SO satsifying to play , I won't be plugging in too much for quite a while . The nasty side scratch buffed right out with some Luthier's fine polishing compound , looks great for 13 years old. The action is very low and easy , the lack of a truss rod doesn't bother me , switching down to Open G and back causes no issues and it stays in tune better than any of my other PRS's. the only down side is ..now I'm contemplaiting an Angelus
Glad you’re enjoying it. You will be pleased to know that both my PRS acoustic’s have no adjustable truss rod and I’ve had no problems with them staying stable. I know I don’t have to tell you, but just keep your guitar properly hydrated. If you decide also to buy in Angelus, I don’t think you’d go wrong. I believe it will be different sounding enough to make sense. I keep my Tonare Grand is tuned a whole step down. It helps with singing a wide variety of songs. My Angelus stays in standard tuning. They both sound great when using capos. Only issue I’ve ever run into is they tend to feedback more than my Taylor‘s, and Martin’s when plugged in (no longer own the Martins). I use the Bose stick PA with subwoofer (can’t remember the model number) so with proper placement I didn’t need a diaphragm. Like any acoustic guitar with volume in the sound hole be careful what diaphragm you use which you already know, just saying that for those reading.

I put her in Open G late yesterday ... and the gates of heaven opened up .. lol .. Considering Martin Simpson and Tony McManus' input along with Cody and Ricky's that makes sense . I play a lot in Open G, my Dobro is always tuned to it , this one will spend most of her time in it and DADGAD .

My K26 Taylor ( All koa grand symphony) will cover the standard tuning

I put her in Open G late yesterday ... and the gates of heaven opened up .. lol .. Considering Martin Simpson and Tony McManus' input along with Cody and Ricky's that makes sense . I play a lot in Open G, my Dobro is always tuned to it , this one will spend most of her time in it and DADGAD .

My K26 Taylor ( All koa grand symphony) will cover the standard tuning
Too bad you’re not New York. I’ll be right over your house. Check it out that beast!!! I bring over my two.

As long as you’re not breaking the bank buy another PRS acoustic, whatever model is your fancy. I myself am happy with my two PRS and I kept my Taylor 712 (concert size 6 string) i’ve had that Taylor and played a lot of gigs with it too sentimental to sell it. I’m going to sell my Taylor 12 string because I am going in a different direction with 12 string acoustic guitars dare I say.

PRS, private stocks and early cores (if you can call them core line) are very special, and I believe extremely underrated.

After many hours of playing I realized a comment from my best buddy may be more accurate than he thought .. He said .. "you'regoing to put all your other acoustics away after this one" ...
After I got mine, my son visited with his Taylor, and we decided to jam a little. When he walked into the room where I was playing he said, "That sounds amazing, it's like a grand piano."

Then he played it. After a few minutes, he reached for his guitar and said, "After playing yours I don't even know why I'm bothering to pick this up."

Tone ... VERY bright and LOUD and DEEP.
Yes; loud, deep, rich-sounding, and it always works in a track. Mine's spoiled me completely.

So much so that I haven't played an acoustic guitar in a store, or considered buying another acoustic since getting it in 2013.

My usual M.O. was to go to shops on Saturdays and try the good ones. Now I don't even look.

After I got mine, my son visited with his Taylor, and we decided to jam a little. When he walked into the room where I was playing he said, "That sounds amazing, it's like a grand piano."

Then he played it. After a few minutes, he reached for his guitar and said, "After playing yours I don't even know why I'm bothering to pick this up."
Exactly, like a six string piano, incredible tones and overtones.

Exactly, like a six string piano, incredible tones and overtones.
I just remembered you wanted to hear the one I have. I should upload and send you today's practice session, but the playing is so un-worthy that it may be distracting.

I'm working hard to recover my pre-Covid playing skills. I went so far down the orchestral music rabbit hole I hardly played it, and as a result, my playing is in the cellar. It's gonna take some time to get the skills back.

Just for grins and giggles , perhaps slightly enchanted from the Fathers day celebration I decided to plug my Tonare into my pedal board and DG 30 ,set to low volume of course . .. I just used the buffer amp to bump the mids a tad and added a small amout of univibe, reverb, tremelo and chorus in Open G it is truely magical . I tried my other acoustics , nice ..lush but missing a bit of that Steve Fischer pixie dust .

Just for grins and giggles , perhaps slightly enchanted from the Fathers day celebration I decided to plug my Tonare into my pedal board and DG 30 ,set to low volume of course . .. I just used the buffer amp to bump the mids a tad and added a small amout of univibe, reverb, tremelo and chorus in Open G it is truely magical . I tried my other acoustics , nice ..lush but missing a bit of that Steve Fischer pixie dust .
It's great that you're enjoying it so much!

That's what it's all about. The joy of playing.

IF the DG30 wasn't so big , I'd take it to the Cafe', although the little Mesa works great with it , but well you know ...it's a TUBE thing

Last edited:

This was my experience now 10 years ago (where did the time go?). I used to have multiple Taylor’s, then my wife and I saw Paul during one of his clinics and I came home with a Cocobolo McManus (Angeles). When both of us compared them to the Taylor’s, the tone was so much more full. I sold all the Taylor’s the next day. I had played Taylors for over 20 years at that point.

OMG .. I think I may have died and gone to heaven .. built for Ricky Skaggs ... it is just TOO special to pass up , so I pulled the trigger , Got it for $315 off asking .same price as the McManus I was looking at ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY Greywolf!!!

Specifications​

Product Year: 2010
Model: Tonare Grand
Serial #: A100410
Body Type: Large, Grand Auditorium
Back & Sides Wood: Pernambuco
Top Wood: Spruce - Adirondack (Red)
Neck Wood: Pernambuco
Neck Profile: C
Bridge: Pernambuco
Rosette: Pernambuco
Top Trim: MOP
Fingerboard: Pernambuco
Fingerboard Bindings: Pernambuco
Fret Markers: MOP Doves
Frets to Body: 14
Headplate: Pernambuco
Headstock Bindings: Pernambuco
Headstock Inlay: MOP
Instrument Finish: Gloss
Body Bindings: Pernambuco
Tuners: PRS
Tuner Finish: Gold with Ivoroid buttons
Cutaway: None
Pickguard: Clear
Pickup: PRS
Pickup (y/n): Yes
Body Length: 20.25 in
Upper Bout: 11.75 in
Lower Bout: 16 in
Body Depth Heel: 4.125 in
Body Depth Tail: 4.875 in
Scale Length: 25.25 in
Scale Length (mm): 641 mm
Nut Width: 1.69 in
Nut Width (mm): 43 mm
String Spacing: 2.125 in
String Spacing (mm): 54 mm
Instrument Weight Pounds & Ounces: 5 lb. 13 oz.
Case: Original - Ameritage
productImage
2010-prs-tonare-grand-pernambuco-adirondack-spruce-a100410-2.jpg

2010-prs-tonare-grand-pernambuco-adirondack-spruce-a100410-9.jpg
I’m way late to this thread, but big congrats! I had that one bookmarked for some time :) I’m fortunate to have a Pernie neck P22, would have loved to try an acoustic made out of it!

This was my experience now 10 years ago (where did the time go?). I used to have multiple Taylor’s, then my wife and I saw Paul during one of his clinics and I came home with a Cocobolo McManus (Angeles). When both of us compared them to the Taylor’s, the tone was so much more full. I sold all the Taylor’s the next day. I had played Taylors for over 20 years at that point.
I had a long relationship with Taylors, too, during the '90s. At some point I switched to Collings, and they were my jam from around 2001-2011, when I got my first Cocobolo Tonare. What a wonderful instrument! Like you with the Taylors, I sold my Collings.

I ordered the maple one I have now on the theory that it might cut in a dense mix just a little bit more. Anyway, I love it, Mine will be 10 this fall!

I find my Build To Order Taylor more versatile than my PRS acoustics.
Not that the perny Tonare doesn’t ring like a church tower.
Rosewood, Englemann, Adirondack makes for a great all round guitar.
When I don’t want the giant Grand Piano sound, I reach for this 12 Fret guitar. Perfect for Hawaiian Slack Key and the neck isn’t quite as wide as the McManus, which I struggle with at times. I do miss those comfy Taylor necks and occasionally get the itchy again, but not happening any time soon.

I’ve yet to play an Adirondack top, but I’ve never heard anyone say they didn’t like it. I’d love to try an African Blackwood/Adi top.

image.jpg

Back