Introduce yourself!

Hi, new member here. After 20+ years of lusting after PRS guitars, I finally own my first! I was a bit confused due to how this one was listed but bought on a hunch and confirmed that it’s in fact what I thought - a 2004 McCarty.

Maple top (somewhere between quilt and flame), mahogany body/neck, wide-fat carve, Indian rosewood fretboard, dark cherry sunburst finish, birds!

I love it! While I have one other great guitar and a couple decent ones, this is everything a PRS is supposed to be.

Thanks

Hi, new member here. After 20+ years of lusting after PRS guitars, I finally own my first! I was a bit confused due to how this one was listed but bought on a hunch and confirmed that it’s in fact what I thought - a 2004 McCarty.

Maple top (somewhere between quilt and flame), mahogany body/neck, wide-fat carve, Indian rosewood fretboard, dark cherry sunburst finish, birds!

I love it! While I have one other great guitar and a couple decent ones, this is everything a PRS is supposed to be.

Thanks
Aw yeah! Congrats on your first, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks! I’m excited to be here and hope to learn more about other models. It’s inevitable now, I will own another! Haha
I should add that I haven’t examined the wiring or pups yet to see if they’re stock.

Hello to all!

As mentioned I will introduce myself properly. My name is Erik and currently living in the North of Sweden. Originally coming from the Netherlands where I have lived for 36 years and moved almost two years ago to start living my dream. Well at least the first part of the dream.

The second part of that dream is playing guitar. Had some try outs on old and very cheap guitars but it never really came off the ground. Not really having any time to practice and lacking of proper teaching due to my job at that time. As a lot has been changed in my life it is now time to really start learning. Started with learning music theory so that I get a good understanding of the what, why and how.

When I moved abroad I left my old guitars so it was time for picking something decent that would also spark up some extra excitement. While reading/listening a lot of reviews I stubbled upon a review about the PRS SE Standard 24. Loved the sound of it and the possibility of splitting the coils.

So my search for a PRS started. This forum came up in the search results several times while searching for experiences with this guitar for a beginner. In one of the posts someone mentioned that the first generation Soapbar would also be a good option for a beginner. So now I am with two searches, thank you very much! If the search for a guitar isn't hard enough already. ;)

Got offered a Soapbar first gen for really cheap money, around $250, if recalculated to $. Was really stoked about it and of course I agreed but since the guys is living 500km from me it had the be posted. Got a message today that he already sold it. :mad: Turns out that a shop quite close to me (about 100km) is having the SE Standard 24 Limited Edition in Bay Bridge Blue. Have not seen that color combination before here in Sweden so went ahead and ordered that one. Will be posted tomorrow so should come in the first days of the new year. What a way to start the new year, right?

Pictures will be posted as soon as it comes in.

Hi. I spent nearly 5 hours in Andertons yesterday (with a few very helpful and patient members of their staff), and came away with a Core Custom 24, Pattern Thin neck, in cherry-charcoal.

My story is going to be nowhere near as illustrious as most on here - I taught myself guitar age 15/16, and carried on into university. Aged around 20, I got into sport pretty seriously so music took a total backseat. The sort of back seat that isn't even in the same vehicle as the driver any more but got left at the roadside because the other occupants want to stretch their legs out a bit more.
Now I'm nearly 35 and physically less well equipped for the sports I love, I decided to have a go at getting back into it.
So I picked my Epiphone LP standard out of its box, and played for a couple of months to check I still like playing full-stop. As I suspected, that never went away. So now I wanted something that's a real pleasure to pick up and play. I don't want to become a collector, or somebody who has a different guitar for different occasions - just one nice guitar for me.
I went into the music shop on a day when I had nothing else planned, tried some Fender Ultras, some high-end Gibsons, and some PRS from the core, S2 and SE ranges. The first PRS I came to was a Pattern Standard neck - that just didn't inspire me at all. I was quite disappointed - I think I'd gone into it maybe a little biased by looks. I love the look of PRS guitars and really wanted to like it. I swapped it out for a Pattern Thin neck, and that made such a difference to me. Love it. I'm not a great player at all (as above - 2 months in after a 15 year hiatus) but it sounds great and plays easily.
Finally I wanted to convince myself that I was correct to spend that much cash so I compared against equivalent S2 and SE. The lack of split-coil settings was the main detractor from the cheaper models here I think, but the Core just has a general loveliness about it.

I'll be playing through the Boss GT-1000 I bought last month, on to either headphones (most of my practice time comes after my son is in bed) or a Headrush 108.

No immediate plans to play in public, this is all for me and my personal enjoyment.

Last edited:
Hello to all!

As mentioned I will introduce myself properly. My name is Erik and currently living in the North of Sweden. Originally coming from the Netherlands where I have lived for 36 years and moved almost two years ago to start living my dream. Well at least the first part of the dream.

The second part of that dream is playing guitar. Had some try outs on old and very cheap guitars but it never really came off the ground. Not really having any time to practice and lacking of proper teaching due to my job at that time. As a lot has been changed in my life it is now time to really start learning. Started with learning music theory so that I get a good understanding of the what, why and how.

When I moved abroad I left my old guitars so it was time for picking something decent that would also spark up some extra excitement. While reading/listening a lot of reviews I stubbled upon a review about the PRS SE Standard 24. Loved the sound of it and the possibility of splitting the coils.

So my search for a PRS started. This forum came up in the search results several times while searching for experiences with this guitar for a beginner. In one of the posts someone mentioned that the first generation Soapbar would also be a good option for a beginner. So now I am with two searches, thank you very much! If the search for a guitar isn't hard enough already. ;)

Got offered a Soapbar first gen for really cheap money, around $250, if recalculated to $. Was really stoked about it and of course I agreed but since the guys is living 500km from me it had the be posted. Got a message today that he already sold it. :mad: Turns out that a shop quite close to me (about 100km) is having the SE Standard 24 Limited Edition in Bay Bridge Blue. Have not seen that color combination before here in Sweden so went ahead and ordered that one. Will be posted tomorrow so should come in the first days of the new year. What a way to start the new year, right?

Pictures will be posted as soon as it comes in.
Hi Erik.I have a 1st gen soapy in my collection 2004. It was my gateway into PRS and I'll never let it go.!!! Welcome on board.

Hi. I spent nearly 5 hours in Andertons yesterday (with a few very helpful and patient members of their staff), and came away with a Core Custom 24, Pattern Thin neck, in cherry-charcoal.

My story is going to be nowhere near as illustrious as most on here - I taught myself guitar age 15/16, and carried on into university. Aged around 20, I got into sport pretty seriously so music took a total backseat. The sort of back seat that isn't even in the same vehicle as the driver any more but got left at the roadside because the other occupants want to stretch their legs out a bit more.
Now I'm nearly 35 and physically less well equipped for the sports I love, I decided to have a go at getting back into it.
So I picked my Epiphone LP standard out of its box, and played for a couple of months to check I still like playing full-stop. As I suspected, that never went away. So now I wanted something that's a real pleasure to pick up and play. I don't want to become a collector, or somebody who has a different guitar for different occasions - just one nice guitar for me.
I went into the music shop on a day when I had nothing else planned, tried some Fender Ultras, some high-end Gibsons, and some PRS from the core, S2 and SE ranges. The first PRS I came to was a Pattern Standard neck - that just didn't inspire me at all. I was quite disappointed - I think I'd gone into it maybe a little biased by looks. I love the look of PRS guitars and really wanted to like it. I swapped it out for a Pattern Thin neck, and that made such a difference to me. Love it. I'm not a great player at all (as above - 2 months in after a 15 year hiatus) but it sounds great and plays easily.
Finally I wanted to convince myself that I was correct to spend that much cash so I compared against equivalent S2 and SE. The lack of split-coil settings was the main detractor from the cheaper models here I think, but the Core just has a general loveliness about it.

I'll be playing through the Boss GT-1000 I bought last month, on to either headphones (most of my practice time comes after my son is in bed) or a Headrush 108.

No immediate plans to play in public, this is all for me and my personal enjoyment.
I was in there last friday!!! Kid in a sweet shop eh. Welcome buddy.

Welcome! Watch your footing ... it's a slippery slope...let us know what your next PRS is going to be!

Go make a few "Nice guitar" or "congrats" posts to up your total so you can post pics of your new axe. Otherwise, how do wo know you didn't buy another Epiphone??o_O

Thanks. I do fancy my chances of sticking with something I'm happy with. I've had a history in hi-fi, another area renowned for it practitioners' tendency to suffer upgraditis. But in that, after taking a few years and plenty of £ to make the perfect setup for me and my needs, I did stick with it.
How many posts do I need to submit pics? I have a banner telling me 3 posts to add links, nothing about pics.

I was in there last friday!!! Kid in a sweet shop eh. Welcome buddy.
I know! And the best part is that I need to go again. When I finally made my decision on the guitar, there wasn't long left on my parking ticket. So in my excitement, I forgot to add any spare strings or a strap. This means that I get to go again for accessories!
I had my first trip there a couple of months back, to compare a Helix vs the Boss GT-1000. This was my second visit, for the PRS and the Headrush. So on a £-per-visit basis, they're doing quite well from me.

Welcome EH nice story about your first PRS purchase and congratulations!

Looking forward to your NGD thread.

Use a third party hosting site like Imgur or Postimage to upload your photos and use the share code from their site in the text box here to get your photo on the forum.

Welcome EH nice story about your first PRS purchase and congratulations!

Looking forward to your NGD thread.

Use a third party hosting site like Imgur or Postimage to upload your photos and use the share code from their site in the text box here to get your photo on the forum.
I saw quite a few threads marked NGD, clicked on a few and still couldn't work out what NGD actually stands for. Seems to be pics/description of people's setups...

Back